Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,690,719 times

Advertisements

I am considering an offer for a job on LI. And my new employer's health insurance will not start for 3 months. I live in MA and have universal healthcare so COBRA is not an option. I just need something for a couple months. I am young(24 year old male,)healthy, have no health problems, no kids and no wife. Just need something for a couple months in case I get hit by a bus or something. Can I get this for under $200? Any direction anybody can give me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 AM

17 posts, read 82,880 times
Hey, jdm. I am a freelancer and I have been not so ideally without insurance for the past two years. Although I see your reasoning, I don't know if our state administered health plans would be advisable- we have something here called Healthy NY that is the least expensive option for individuals. There is, I believe, a $60K income limit but the cost per month is about $250-350.

I pay for medical costs out of pocket, and I go to my long-time family doctor in Babylon Village. It costs me $52 a visit. I go every three months, so it isn't really prohibitive. But private plans in New York run about $800 a month for an individual. Luckily you know you'll be getting it in three months, but I can say that in my search for insurance I haven't found a state one I qualify for (like Healthy NY) or a private one I can afford (under $700-800 a month.)

Old 09-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlypretty View Post
Hey, jdm. I am a freelancer and I have been not so ideally without insurance for the past two years. Although I see your reasoning, I don't know if our state administered health plans would be advisable- we have something here called Healthy NY that is the least expensive option for individuals. There is, I believe, a $60K income limit but the cost per month is about $250-350.

I pay for medical costs out of pocket, and I go to my long-time family doctor in Babylon Village. It costs me $52 a visit. I go every three months, so it isn't really prohibitive. But private plans in New York run about $800 a month for an individual. Luckily you know you'll be getting it in three months, but I can say that in my search for insurance I haven't found a state one I qualify for (like Healthy NY) or a private one I can afford (under $700-800 a month.)
O wow! $800! That sucks! No way am I paying that. When i had no employer insurance in RI and MA. I paid like 140(in RI it wasn't through the state either).

Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,203,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
O wow! $800! That sucks! No way am I paying that. When i had no employer insurance in RI and MA. I paid like 140(in RI it wasn't through the state either).
Downstate NY is very expensive! When you get further north, the price drops significantly, but that doesn't help you any.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,359,637 times
How about this? I have heard good things about their insurance plans:

Freelancers Union :: Platform for an Independent Workforce - Pages from Freelancers Union

Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately that won't help the OP.

jdm2008, one thing to remember, if you are without insurance coverage for more than 60 days, the new coverage will scrutinize anything over the next 12 months for "pre-existing condition". You stated you're healthy, so it shouldn't be a problem; just thought you might want to be aware of it.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Unfortunately that won't help the OP.

jdm2008, one thing to remember, if you are without insurance coverage for more than 60 days, the new coverage will scrutinize anything over the next 12 months for "pre-existing condition". You stated you're healthy, so it shouldn't be a problem; just thought you might want to be aware of it.
He does have health insurance via the Massachusetts state plan. If he moves and immediately buys new health insurance for the 3 months he should be okay.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He does have health insurance via the Massachusetts state plan. If he moves and immediately buys new health insurance for the 3 months he should be okay.
I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound as though he'd qualify as "independent contractor" - I was referring to your link...

Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about this? I have heard good things about their insurance plans:

Freelancers Union :: Platform for an Independent Workforce - Pages from Freelancers Union
Yes I see those. I see one$196 but with a 10k deductible I have to ask if I should just skip it altogether. $285 for 3500 deductible. I guess that's the best I can get.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound as though he'd qualify as "independent contractor" - I was referring to your link...
Guess not. Although I thought that the Freelancers Union will take anyone who pays their dues. Well the other poster who chimed in is a freelancer so it might help her. Maybe he should ask his state plan in MA what a person does in the situation he is in and see if he could extend state sponsored coverage for a few months somehow by signing up for the NYS plan upon moving or if the Massachusetts plan will extend for a short period of time in another state (although that may not be possible since he would probably have to use MA-based physicians, etc.). I know that when some states were trying to get rid of welfare recipients, they would send them to another state and pay all their expenses including health insurance (Medicaid?) for 1 year until they were "residents" of the new state, so why can't MA do this if it wants to? Alternatively, for only 3 months he probably will be able to make it without insurance. Do employer-sponsored plans also have the "pre-existing condition" stuff if a new employee wasn't covered by insurance for a few months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island