Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,614 times

Advertisements

having lost my job in june i have only been able to find contract/temp work with a very poor health plan through my contract/temp agency are there any good options out there for a contract worker in ny that is something i can afford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM

152 posts, read 548,390 times
It's easy to get health insurance in NY but it's expensive - cost you about $500 per month.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,049,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
It's easy to get health insurance in NY but it's expensive - cost you about $500 per month.

EASY?
Not unless you're in a Group.
After my COBRA ran out, I had to get an individual policy, had only 3 companies to choose from, and am paying 3X the amount you mentioned - just me, myself & I. And it has a high deductible, even for drugs. Last year I never met it.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM

152 posts, read 548,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
EASY?
After my COBRA ran out, I had to get an individual policy, had only 3 companies to choose from, and am paying 3X the amount you mentioned - just me, myself & I. And it has a high deductible, even for drugs. Last year I never met it.
You need a new agent. in NY, you cannot be turned down if you go from one plan directly to another. Do a little research.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:14 PM

22,692 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
EASY?
You're doing something wrong. My DH is self employed and we buy our own insurance. We pay $1000 a month for a family of 5 and we have a great plan.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're doing something wrong. My DH is self employed and we buy our own insurance. We pay $1000 a month for a family of 5 and we have a great plan.
What is your deductible? Also, some insurance plans are only available to self employed, contract workers wouldn't be eligible.

When I was unemployed 6 years ago, as a healthy mid-20's female, I got quoted over $1k/mo from multiple plans.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 20,953,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleg View Post
having lost my job in june i have only been able to find contract/temp work with a very poor health plan through my contract/temp agency
Be gald you have any health plan at all.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 254,874 times
The NYS Insurance Department controls all individual health plans in New York. Virtually all carriers participate but because NY is a guaranteed issue state rates are really expensive, starting at about $800 per month. If you are a contract/temp worker getting a 1099 you could be considered self employed and qualify for a plan for self employed people which is less expensive than individual plans. Look in to Oxford's sole proprietor plans or go the the Long Island Association's LIA Health Alliance Enterprise plans. Rates for an individual will probably be around $350-$400 monthly. If thats too much some people opt for Limited Medical plans, called that because they offer limited medical benefits such as 30 day max for hospitalization. But they are less expensive. Not a recommendation but google Core Health Plans to look. Lots of temp agencies use those types of plans so thats what they might be offering you. Unfortunately New York does not offer short term health plans like other states and has a somewhat mandated minimum set of benefits so combine that with the rules that every carrier has to offer similar rates regardless of age or medical condition and the choices get difficult.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM

730 posts, read 1,661,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Can you share the name of the carrier?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,284,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf22777 View Post
The NYS Insurance Department controls all individual health plans in New York. Virtually all carriers participate but because NY is a guaranteed issue state rates are really expensive, starting at about $800 per month. If you are a contract/temp worker getting a 1099 you could be considered self employed and qualify for a plan for self employed people which is less expensive than individual plans. Look in to Oxford's sole proprietor plans or go the the Long Island Association's LIA Health Alliance Enterprise plans. Rates for an individual will probably be around $350-$400 monthly. ...
Just be aware that when you apply for a sole proprietor plan with Oxford, they will ask you for a copy of your bank statement for the business. It can't be your personal account. It has to be your business account, so if you don't have a business account, either get one and put put a chunk of money in it or forget it.

As I found their request for a statement to be highly intrusive--let's face it, they want to know how much money your business has--I just sent them documentation from the bank.

Nope. They want a statement. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island