Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

I have had DC for decades. I live just east of Vancouver, B.C. Hubby & I are considering the possibility of moving to the U.S. How difficult would it be for him? i.e. Could he work? get a Green Card?
We are both 62. Would we get Old Age Pension or Medicare in the U.S. upon turning 65?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable777 View Post
I have had DC for decades. I live just east of Vancouver, B.C. Hubby & I are considering the possibility of moving to the U.S. How difficult would it be for him? i.e. Could he work? get a Green Card?
We are both 62. Would we get Old Age Pension or Medicare in the U.S. upon turning 65?
Thanks!

Ummmmmm...... to the best of my knowledge, the US does not have an Old Age Pension.

Let's move this over to the US Legal Immigration forum.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
To live in the USA and work, you'd need to petition him for a visa (Ir-1 spousal visa), which leads to a greencard once he enters the USA. You can file directly with the US embassy in Canada as you live there, and will need to prove you can financially support him.

I believe there is a waiting period of 5 years for new immigrants to get medicaid, but not sure.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
If you go to the first "sticky" on this page and click on the USCIS link, you should be able to find all the information you need.

I doubt you would be eligible for Social Security as you have to have paid into that to qualify, and I would imagine there would be a qualifying wait for Medicaid. The unemployment rate in the US is sky high and your age will be a further disadvantage where finding employment is concerned. I would guess that your benefits in Canada would be far better than what you could expect in the US. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:28 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you go to the first "sticky" on this page and click on the USCIS link, you should be able to find all the information you need.

I doubt you would be eligible for Social Security as you have to have paid into that to qualify, and I would imagine there would be a qualifying wait for Medicaid. The unemployment rate in the US is sky high and your age will be a further disadvantage where finding employment is concerned. I would guess that your benefits in Canada would be far better than what you could expect in the US. Good luck!
SSA & CPP has a reciprocal agreement:
Description of the U.S.-Canadian Social Security Agreement

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
If you carefully read the reciprocity agreement, it's not applicable to the OP's current situation.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
How difficult would it be for him?
You have to file an I-130 and petition for him.
Quote:
Could he work?
Only after he gets a green card.
Quote:
get a Green Card?
You have to file the I-130 to apply for the green card.
Quote:
Only if you had paid into the system.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you carefully read the reciprocity agreement, it's not applicable to the OP's current situation.
You mean this part? Looks like in their situation, they should get have enough credits to quality for SSA benefits but not Medicare.
Quote:
Although the agreement between the United States and Canada and the understanding between the United States and Quebec allows the Social Security Administration to count your CPP or QPP credits to help you qualify for U.S. retirement, disability or survivor benefits, the agreement does not cover Medicare benefits. As a result, we cannot count your credits in Canada or Quebec to establish entitlement to free Medicare hospital insurance.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
You mean this part? Looks like in their situation, they should get have enough credits to quality for SSA benefits but not Medicare.
You can't collect from the US Social Security system unless you have paid into it. If the OP has worked in the US, paid into the system and has some credits she may be eligible. Her husband hasn't paid into the US system, can't work in the US until he has full immigration status and can't collect until he becomes eligible via credits. Basically, the reciprocity agreement was entered into to protect employees working in both countries from paying social security dues to both governments.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable777 View Post
Thanks!
Why wouldn't you just want to stay in Canada? Canada has a much better socialized health care system than the USA. Even if you can immediately get Medicare, it's not as good if you don't have a secondary policy that you pay into.

Retirement age in the USA is going up, to get the full social security benefits, you'd have to retire at an older age and if you didn't pay at least 10 years into social security, you'd have to get on SSI and Medicaid but those pay pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration