Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM

31 posts, read 44,101 times

Advertisements

My husband is a duel, being born in NYC to Canadian parents.
We've always lived in Canada but are now thinking of moving to
LA or CA.
I'm assuming once he applies for his SSN he can work, but how/where do I start for myself being able to work legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM

232 posts, read 542,431 times
Generally speaking, as the spouse of an American citizen you would be eligible for a green card, which will permit you to enter the country and work legally for any employer. I am not sure if there are specific restrictions if the spouse has a dual-citizenship. My bff is dual citizen (also Canadian and American) but has said in the past that the U.S. govt. does not honor dual-citizenship as neatly as everyone believes.

The Govt. generally frowns upon being in the country on one visa while applying for another. So, if you are applying to enter the U.S. as a greencard holder, don't do so living in the U.S. on a tourist visa. An attorney can offer better advice.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
I hope you wanted to say dual citizen:>)
You start by getting your husband set up in the US system. You state your husband has no SS#. How has he filed his US taxes? How has he registered for Selective Services? Back one more step - did his parents properly file the birth and does he have at least a birth certificate?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I hope you wanted to say dual citizen:>)
You start by getting your husband set up in the US system. You state your husband has no SS#. How has he filed his US taxes? How has he registered for Selective Services? Back one more step - did his parents properly file the birth and does he have at least a birth certificate?
I assume your spouse was born in the USA before it became the practice to issue SS# at birth and that he has lived in Canada since childhood.
Assuming he has his American birth certificate, he can go to local US Embassy/Consulate and start the procedure to get you as his spouse a Permanent Residency visa ("Greencard").

Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 44,101 times
Thanks for the replies
My husband was one of the *lost Canadians* and we had to go through alot of paper work and several years before he was able to retain his Canadian citizenship.
He has never worked/lived in the US (except when he was six weeks old) and yes, he did go x border to apply for the Selective Services when he turned of legal age. So no, he's never paid US taxes, as he's never made any money in the US.

Every time we cross the border, we're told he's dual (we had though once he became Canadian he would loose that).

Does anyone have a link to where we would get the info that you've mentioned?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
This is one of several links posted in the first "sticky" on this forum page and should start you off:

USCIS Home Page

Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvixen View Post
My husband is a duel, being born in NYC to Canadian parents.
We've always lived in Canada but are now thinking of moving to
LA or CA.
I'm assuming once he applies for his SSN he can work, but how/where do I start for myself being able to work legally?
Don't know how long before you plan to move.

Option 1, start applying for green card through marriage to a US citizen. That process may take one year to complete.

Immigrant Visa for a Spouse (IR1 or CR1)

Option 2, enter US under visitor status, but how to go from there, I have no idea. You can change your status once in USA because you married a US citizen. That process may take 3-6 months before you can work.

I would speak to an immigration lawyer as information given here may not be accurate or correct.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvixen View Post
Thanks for the replies
My husband was one of the *lost Canadians* and we had to go through alot of paper work and several years before he was able to retain his Canadian citizenship.
He has never worked/lived in the US (except when he was six weeks old) and yes, he did go x border to apply for the Selective Services when he turned of legal age. So no, he's never paid US taxes, as he's never made any money in the US.

Every time we cross the border, we're told he's dual (we had though once he became Canadian he would loose that).

Does anyone have a link to where we would get the info that you've mentioned?

Thanks
Again - slow down!
By your syntax and what you post here - his parents are immigrants?

He was not lost but born abroad and the birth was probably not recorded propperly according to Canadian law.

It does not matter if he lives in the US and/or makes money. He has to declare taxes. irs.gov It is part of what he will have to use for your visa application.

He will have to denounce his US citizenship to loose it but he does not have some of the privileges such as transferring it to his children right now.

US Embassy, all his documents, a prayer just in case and he should get a passport.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Threestep, the uscis link I provided wasn't sufficient?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Threestep, the uscis link I provided wasn't sufficient?
It can be overbearing. OP posted very ittle information. Her original question when she can start to work should be her least concern right now. First her spouse has to be up to speed to be able to sponsor her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration