Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM

317 posts, read 1,004,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
what will I want in a house in Vegas?
1. well-insulated house
2. one story (hate to climb stairs )
3. north facing, with tall tree shade above the house
4. no pool
5. small yards (hate yeard work)
6. tile or wood floor
7. no bigger than 1000 sq ft
8. attached car garage
9. quiet and safe tree-line neighborhood
10. single family house, not condo or townhouse (don't want to pay HOA fees)
11. close to shopping
@olecapt

and what about me ?

1. well-insulated house
2. 2-3 story
3. north facing................ (prefered)
4. pool ? .......................... (yes OR no -it is not principally different)
5. nice size yards
6. tile or wood floor..............(prefered)
7. bigger than 1900 sq ft
8. 2-3 car garage
9. quiet and safe tree-line neighborhood - (prefered) Henderson OR Summerlin
10. gated communities (very prefered !!! )
11. single family house

12. up to & 200K (prefered)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,289,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
1) from all home builders ?

2) why after 2000 ? new formal standard ?

Thanks !
that was the start of a lot of the energy efficient housing. And it kept getting better into the 2004 time frame. Then it kind of got lost in the exuberance.

But Houses built in the 2000s are substantially more energy efficient that those built in the 1990s.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM

317 posts, read 1,004,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
that was the start of a lot of the energy efficient housing. And it kept getting better into the 2004 time frame. Then it kind of got lost in the exuberance.

But Houses built in the 2000s are substantially more energy efficient that those built in the 1990s.
Thanks !

Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM

430 posts, read 1,314,404 times
I would want a North or East facing backyard. You want the majority of windows on the North side of the house.

I would want a backyard that doesn't sit right up against a street or neighbors house. I settled for less house here because of that fact.

Nice neighborhood where your next door neighbors seem like sane, clean, quiet folk. Neighbors can really ruin a home.

Reasonable monthly HOA fees that cover a community pool.

Tile everywhere, except maybe very low traffic areas like the bedrooms.

Covered extended back patio.

Fake grass in the backyard. It is comfortable to walk on, our dog loves it and its easier to clean then rocks/gravel. Each week it's easier to get all the poop off the fake grass than the rocks (uneven surface). We clean the yard with some natural enzyme spray every 4-6 months and rinse with water to control the pet odor.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,883,096 times
This fear of children drowning in a swimming pool is way overblown. That only happens when the parents are both negligent and stupid.

I moved into a house with a pool when I had a one-year-old, and threw many pool parties where there was no possibility of a child accidentally drowning. The only time my kid fell into the pool accidentally I was standing right next to him and grabbed hold of his arm before his chin even hit the water.

Southern Nevada Pool Code requires a 4 foot high barrier fence completely enclosing the pool. Add a self-closing, latching gate and you've got one layer of protection. Alarm all your doors to the back yard so there is an audible alarm when one opens and you've got a second layer of protection. Finally, add an alarm that senses objects falling in the water and you've got a third layer of protection. You could also put those wristband thingees on your kid's wrist that sets off an alarm when they get wet. Most of the time when kids drown their parents don't even have the required barriers around the pool.

For the party situation where you've got lots of visitors using the pool, you assign one parent who understands their job is to watch the pool, and they are not to leave their station unless they are replaced by another responsible adult who knows they too must not leave until they are relieved.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,289,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
This fear of children drowning in a swimming pool is way overblown. That only happens when the parents are both negligent and stupid.

I moved into a house with a pool when I had a one-year-old, and threw many pool parties where there was no possibility of a child accidentally drowning. The only time my kid fell into the pool accidentally I was standing right next to him and grabbed hold of his arm before his chin even hit the water.

Southern Nevada Pool Code requires a 4 foot high barrier fence completely enclosing the pool. Add a self-closing, latching gate and you've got one layer of protection. Alarm all your doors to the back yard so there is an audible alarm when one opens and you've got a second layer of protection. Finally, add an alarm that senses objects falling in the water and you've got a third layer of protection. You could also put those wristband thingees on your kid's wrist that sets off an alarm when they get wet. Most of the time when kids drown their parents don't even have the required barriers around the pool.

For the party situation where you've got lots of visitors using the pool, you assign one parent who understands their job is to watch the pool, and they are not to leave their station unless they are replaced by another responsible adult who knows they too must not leave until they are relieved.
Another aspect is to teach the kids to swim. Not fool proof but on top of reasonable precautions it makes the odds very small. Year old kids can swim just fine. With one exception our kids swam as soon as out of diapers. The exception was drown proof but declined to swim until it became socially unacceptable...then swam quite well in a week.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,866 times
Default green lighting with LEDs

You might wanna think about building green, like described in this article: Alter]The Latest Environmental News - thedailygreen.com Eco House Green Building - LEED Platinum Green Home - thedailygreen.com here. They use for example only energy-saving, eco friendly LEDs from greentorch.com!

(LED MR16 Light Bulbs - Optique and Balance Series)

Last edited by greeny03; 06-01-2010 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,883,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny03 View Post
They use for example only energy-saving, eco friendly LEDs from ididntreadthetossohereiamspamming.com!
How long have you worked from them?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,819,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
The most important factor is who is living next door,try and find out,because the wrong people can make a dream home a nightmare !
Yeah, you might end up with this guy next door to you!

YouTube - Lakeview Terrace - Chainsaw Scene

Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

123 posts, read 272,295 times
Less than 1099 SF 14

I think my SUV is bigger than that......could always 'live in a van down by the river' like Chris Farley on SNL did...no HOA either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas