Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
OT but I read you have Danes. My favorite dogs. My Tess lived to be 14 years old. They will do fine here but remember, when it's hot, they won't want to be outside and longer than you do.

If you get a house with a pool, they may swim. Just make sure they absolutely KNOW where the stairs are so the can get OUT of the pool.
Varies with the dog. Our departed Spitz loved the heat even though he was a long haired dog. Would beg to go into the yard when it was 105 or more.

He would use the pool if it was open...though he would never get off the stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:56 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The term you're looking for is "diminishing returns". It depends on the type of insulation, but I believe with fiberglass blankets, 10" is R-30 and 12" is R-38. I've seen a chart (you can probably Google for it) that says going from R-30 to R-38 in a typical 2000 sq ft home in Phoenix saves about $7/year. So it's definitely not cost effective to go higher than R-38 in Las Vegas. There are surely other places to spend money that will give you higher savings on your electric bill.
What you say is true, but there is another factor to consider: workmanship - the quality of the labor in installing the insulation in the first place.

The wood 2x4s or 2x6s in the walls are at best R-3. So at best you have vertical "stripes" of R3 in a wall with fiberglass batting. An infrared camera sees this very clearly. The next issue is how well was the fiberglass batting installed? was it shoved and then uniformly pulled out on the edges in a workmanlike manner to ensure a relatively constant depth of fiberglass batting? or was it "smushed-in" in places, and then sheetrocked over the top so that the homeowner doesn't realize some areas have compressed batting and hence much less than potential benefit from the installed insulation?

The same holds true for batting installed in an attic.

Currently, blown-in cellulose insulation (essentially recycled ground up newsprint, IIRC) does a MUCH better job at providing insulation at a modest uptick in cost. The subcontractor installs netting across the insides of the studs & joists, then blows-in fine ground up cellulose which penetrates all the nooks and crannies so that the resultant job typically has no "smushed-in" areas.

I recently priced spray-foam insulation, and while it is better still than blown-in cellulose, it is pretty darn pricey IMHO.

I would personally try to find a home with cellulose insulation. If it is fiberglass batting, well, the builder chose the cheap approach. If they chose the cheap approach on insulation, where else did they also cut corners? You can see the type of insulation by unscrewing, say, the cover to a telephone outlet & shining a flashlight on it. If it is pink fiberglass batting, it will be obvious to you.

When it comes to the attic, you can actually inspect it. I've found frequently that the batting is poorly installed and in some spots missing or falling out or whatever so it does not provide the benefit it was supposed to.

If it were me, I would probably end up hiring someone to pull out fiberglass batting & blow in cellulose in the attic.

Oh - for windows - definitely add Polar Shades or the equivalent for all south and west facing windows. Even modern double-pane gas-filled Low-E windows are effectively R-0 to R-1, IIRC.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What you say is true, but there is another factor to consider: workmanship - the quality of the labor in installing the insulation in the first place .
@SportyandMisty

excellent post !

Thanks !

Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM

112 posts, read 316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
OT but I read you have Danes. My favorite dogs. My Tess lived to be 14 years old. They will do fine here but remember, when it's hot, they won't want to be outside and longer than you do.

If you get a house with a pool, they may swim. Just make sure they absolutely KNOW where the stairs are so the can get OUT of the pool.

Awesome your Dane was so long lived! We can only hope for the same. Ours are 3 and 1 right now, and they are indoors unless we are home, and they have learned to tap the sliding doors to be let in. I think despite their size, Danes are fantastic indoor dogs.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
Awesome your Dane was so long lived! We can only hope for the same. Ours are 3 and 1 right now, and they are indoors unless we are home, and they have learned to tap the sliding doors to be let in. I think despite their size, Danes are fantastic indoor dogs.
Huge, loving, couch potatoes. And they need their own couch!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,922 times
what will I want in a house in Vegas?
1. well-insulated house
2. one story (hate to climb stairs )
3. north facing, with tall tree shade above the house
4. no pool
5. small yards (hate yeard work)
6. tile or wood floor
7. no bigger than 1000 sq ft
8. attached car garage
9. quiet and safe tree-line neighborhood
10. single family house, not condo or townhouse (don't want to pay HOA fees)
11. close to shopping

Last edited by Scott456; 05-16-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
1. well-insulated house
2. one story (hate to climb stairs )
3. north facing, with tall tree shade above the house
4. no pool
5. small yards (hate yeard work)
6. tile or wood floor
7. no bigger than 1000 sq ft
8. attached car garage
9. quiet and safe tree-line neighborhood
11. close to shopping
Well just for fun...

SFRs for sale 8237
Single Story 3842
Well insulated (built after 2000) 1428
No Pool 1181
One car plus garage 1166
Less than 1099 SF 14

So the whole city has 14 houses...which you can sort for shopping etc.

I suspect you won't have to look at more than 5.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:52 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Many single family homes also have HOA fees, so don't forget to check on that as well.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well just for fun...

Well insulated (built after 2000)
1) from all home builders ?

2) why after 2000 ? new formal standard ?

Thanks !

Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 PM

365 posts, read 423,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well just for fun...

SFRs for sale 8237
Single Story 3842
Well insulated (built after 2000) 1428
No Pool 1181
One car plus garage 1166
Less than 1099 SF 14

So the whole city has 14 houses...which you can sort for shopping etc.

I suspect you won't have to look at more than 5.

You just cant get a house in LV that small!...its unreal how big most of the homes are....Now bump that up to 2000+sf and you have many many choices....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas