Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:29 PM

86 posts, read 416,124 times

Advertisements

We have the chance to relocate to several different cities and states within a healthcare organization. They will relocate us but we must pick one Hospital we would like to relocate to. My option for this state is North Las Vegas and I forgot the name of the hospital...but can anyone tell me about this area for a alternative interracial couple with 7yr old twins and 2 teenagers. I'm looking for a safe, diverse, kid friendly neighborhood that is near all the major necessities including good schools and an active adult night life as well kid activities also. We also don't want to drive for hours in order to get to work or real civilization . We are relocating from a suburb 45 min outside of Cincinnati, Ohio. Please advise.
The other states that are available to us are
florida-tampa bay, st. petersburg
arizona-mesa, tempe, phoenix
texas-san antonio, odessa, port something???
louisiana- i forgot but it begins with an M
utah-salt lake city and some other place I never heard of before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
You won't have to drive for hours to get to work anywhere in the valley. Depending on where you move to or live, you might spend an hour in traffic at the worst, rush hour.
If you live near where you are working, that's always a good thing.

Is the hospital in North Las Vegas, North Vista? Or something like that.
I don't know much about it, just heard about it, and really don't know where it is. If it's anywhere near the old and dangerous part of NLV, then you want to avoid living over there.

But if you want to live in the North Valley, go north of Craig and preferably north of Ann. Right now the newer part of NLV stretches all the way east to 5th street, and west to Decatur. As long as you are north of Craig or Ann.
There are plenty of interracial families here, it's nothing unusual, so you should do ok.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
Yeh, North Vista, is off of Lake Mead in old NLV...

Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM

It is North Vista. So what are some safe areas for us that put us close to work but in a safe area? We know nothing about NLV. LOL

Old 05-28-2007, 12:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
We see you have been shopping around more than a little bit.

The area north of Craig and west of the hospital works fine. You can find nice accomodations across a wide range...200K to well over a million. Good rentals if you wish to start out that way. The area is a swath of development about 10 miles east and west by 5 miles north and south.

The area has a generally diverse makeup. Good mix of airmen from Nellis assuring that iit is well mixed. Blacks reflect the area..probably around 6 or 7%. Hispanics are heavier probably 15%. Alternative life styles are tolerated in that nobody really cares who you live with. All arrangements known to humankind occur. Yet it is actually pretty strait-laced. Kind of don't ask don't tell or such.

It is virtually all new...houses, schools, facilities.

I have a web page at donohueteam.com that ranks all the Vegas schools. Got to the site and click the schools button. You can also go to the CCSD web site and go out the schools tabs to find maps of what is where.. You need the northwest and northeast maps for elementary the northern map for the high schools .

Only thing significantly wrong with the area is that it is growing like mad and that causes problems and you get airplane noise from Nellis...particularly to the eastern end.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Talking trying to make the right choice

we are deciding against arizona and nevada...don't know which area is hotter...lol. I have alergies but mostly to pollen and mold so I'm hoping that won't be an issue at either place. We will be on a 3 yr committment with whichever hospital we choose so we are researching, researching, researching
So can someone sum up the pros and cons for Phoenix area and North Las Vegas areas for us

Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 PM

do you have zipcodes that i can go by
thx

Old 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMelRN2007 View Post
do you have zipcodes that i can go by
thx
89031,89084,89085,89086,89131, 89143, 89149, and most of 89130...don't go below Craig.

Phoenix and Vegas are both large SW cities. Both have most of the advantages and disadvantages of such. For instance both spend too little on schools...and suffer a bit for it.

Phoenix is bigger and has worse traffic. Neither is terribly bad.

Phoenix is relatively older.

Phoenix is hotter...nice in the winter painful in the summer.

Crime is not a serious drawback to either. Despite what you hear the crime in both is way below the rust built cities of the east.

Phoenix is a more balanced city with numerous industrial groups. Vegas is narrower and lives off its entertainment industry.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
Las Vegas has real bad pollen problems...

Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,855 times
Agree with Olecapt about Phoenix being hotter, I would also say it is more humid as they get more of the monsoon rains in the summer. As for Vegas having bad pollen, compared to Ohio, it will be a cake walk. I used to live in the Midwest and while Vegas has some allergy problems, it's nothing like the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas