Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,454,612 times

Advertisements

I hate to sound like a wet blanket but by actual stats Phoenix is the worst city in the US for respiratory problems, and Las Vegas is second worst. It always makes me shake my head when I hear people from back east tell me that their doctors sent them here for their asthma since it is so dry. That dryness makes it worse, as your mucus membranes dry out and become susceptable to attack by not only pollen but air pollution and viruses. Due to all those trees that don't belong here in the desert, and all the farming around Phoenix that was never meant to be there by nature, there is way too much pollen. Remember, there is NO rain to wash it away.

The other thing is that the hospital that you are talking about is in one of the most dangerous areas of the Valley and from what I've seen the hospital itself isn't all that safe a place to be.

That said, I would rather live here than anywhere in any of the humid climates of the east or south...but I would not want to work on Lake Mead Blvd in North Town for any reason.

Also, if you go to NAET.com or BioSET - Home, you will find THE answer to your allergies no matter where you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,315,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I hate to sound like a wet blanket but by actual stats Phoenix is the worst city in the US for respiratory problems, and Las Vegas is second worst. It always makes me shake my head when I hear people from back east tell me that their doctors sent them here for their asthma since it is so dry. That dryness makes it worse, as your mucus membranes dry out and become susceptable to attack by not only pollen but air pollution and viruses. Due to all those trees that don't belong here in the desert, and all the farming around Phoenix that was never meant to be there by nature, there is way too much pollen. Remember, there is NO rain to wash it away.

The other thing is that the hospital that you are talking about is in one of the most dangerous areas of the Valley and from what I've seen the hospital itself isn't all that safe a place to be.

That said, I would rather live here than anywhere in any of the humid climates of the east or south...but I would not want to work on Lake Mead Blvd in North Town for any reason.

Also, if you go to NAET.com or BioSET - Home, you will find THE answer to your allergies no matter where you end up.
Comeon Buzz...your BSing us.

Let us see a couple of sources..

1. that Phoenix and Las Vegas are bad for respiratory problems.

2. that the Hospital Location is a dangerous place to work..

I believe you are totally incorrect on both items...But hey what do I know? So let us see your sources...and none of this everybody knows. I am reasonably knowledgable and I don't.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,713,221 times
just because North Town ain't so great, it doesn't make the hospital dangerous, plus compared to some East Coast cities, North Town is pretty normal...

Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Comeon Buzz...your BSing us.

Let us see a couple of sources..

1. that Phoenix and Las Vegas are bad for respiratory problems.

2. that the Hospital Location is a dangerous place to work..

I believe you are totally incorrect on both items...But hey what do I know? So let us see your sources...and none of this everybody knows. I am reasonably knowledgable and I don't.
I usually agree with you but you are wrong this time.

Well here is an article listing us as #19 and Phoenix as #21. It has been a while, but I remember that it was quite a topic of conversation when several articles showed that Phoenix was #1 and we were #2. Now I don't think anything has changed much to lower our status as 2nd worst since the pollen counts get even higher each year. They did follow Tucson's lead and outlawed planting of Fruitless Mulberries and Russian Olives but as far as I know not many of the older trees have been removed.

Also, all of us who have been here a while know of performers canceling shows due to Vegas throat. Probably most of us have had visitors who came down with it. In fact I’m sure that most of us have had it. Guess what causes Vegas throat? Could it be the dry, dusty air? Not if you believe realtor BS.

I have been deeply involved in the study and cure of allergies for over ten years now and have more than a little knowledge concerning that subject. So I know that all is not lost…they can be eliminated…but the allergens that most people suffer from are here in spades. I know what my wife and I have gone through, and I know that everyone I talk to has allergy complaints nearly all of the time.

As far as the area around the hospital on Lake Mead Blvd., in the 80’s I lived near there and worked near there for years. In the 90s I worked near there again. It was a very bad area back then and has only gotten worse. There are gang shootings along there all the time, at least that’s what the news media reports. I don’t hang out there to see it but I’ve heard a lot of horror stories from people who had to go to that emergency room. UMC gets a lot of drive by gunshot victims as I can attest to from being threatened by the family of one of them as I lay flat on my back in a hospital bed unable to get up and defend myself, so you know North Las Vegas gets a ton of them, being right there in the war zone. All you have to do is drive by the hospital to see what it is like over there. But is it safe there? Sure it is if you believe realtor BS.

As far as inter-racial couples, of all the cities that were listed as possible places to move to, I would think Las Vegas would be the only one where you wouldn’t be given a hard time. Nobody cares about things like that here. Look around Vegas and you’ll see that a very, very large percentage of couples are inter-racial. It’s actually amazing how many there are here. Those other places? I've been to most of them many times and lived in Texas. They seem to be very red around the neck in all of them but Las Vegas. And I think that in several of those places you might find that the black people would be more unforgiving than the whites would be...but I don't have any stats to back that up either...just observation.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 AM

86 posts, read 416,800 times
WOW!!! Thanks for all the information. We have been looking through other threads also and now we are a little intimidated re: the heat among other things. Tampa doesn't look so bad anymore!! LOL

Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 AM

Don't get suckered into the Fla syndrome. Tampa runs a consistent 90 plus in the summer. 90 plus in Tampa is at least as hot as 105 in Vegas. The humidity is painful and the bugs are humongous.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I usually agree with you but you are wrong this time.

Well here is an article listing us as #19 and Phoenix as #21. It has been a while, but I remember that it was quite a topic of conversation when several articles showed that Phoenix was #1 and we were #2. Now I don't think anything has changed much to lower our status as 2nd worst since the pollen counts get even higher each year. They did follow Tucson's lead and outlawed planting of Fruitless Mulberries and Russian Olives but as far as I know not many of the older trees have been removed.

Also, all of us who have been here a while know of performers canceling shows due to Vegas throat. Probably most of us have had visitors who came down with it. In fact I’m sure that most of us have had it. Guess what causes Vegas throat? Could it be the dry, dusty air? Not if you believe realtor BS.
You taking up the Redwingfan defense? When you are wrong holler that I am a Realtor?

I have looked into it a couple of times for clients. In an analysis of resperitory infections in the top fifty cities I believe Vegas was 23rd and Phoenix something like 46th. I can find no reference that puts either city near the top.

I don't deny there is a pollen problem. It is well reported. And I certainly don't deny a dust problem. I warn anyone moving here that they have never seen dust until they get to Vegas.

So I do not sell it as a Vegas advantage...merely one of the parameters that effect the quality of life and should be understood.

Quote:
]I have been deeply involved in the study and cure of allergies for over ten years now and have more than a little knowledge concerning that subject. So I know that all is not lost…they can be eliminated…but the allergens that most people suffer from are here in spades. I know what my wife and I have gone through, and I know that everyone I talk to has allergy complaints nearly all of the time.

As far as the area around the hospital on Lake Mead Blvd., in the 80’s I lived near there and worked near there for years. In the 90s I worked near there again. It was a very bad area back then and has only gotten worse. There are gang shootings along there all the time, at least that’s what the news media reports. I don’t hang out there to see it but I’ve heard a lot of horror stories from people who had to go to that emergency room. UMC gets a lot of drive by gunshot victims as I can attest to from being threatened by the family of one of them as I lay flat on my back in a hospital bed unable to get up and defend myself, so you know North Las Vegas gets a ton of them, being right there in the war zone. All you have to do is drive by the hospital to see what it is like over there. But is it safe there? Sure it is if you believe realtor BS.
I was not recommending that they live in the area. I do not however think it a particularly dangerous hospital. Not in the class of UMC. Lacks the trauma center. And I would certainly not classify UMC as too dangerous to work at...

Quote:
As far as inter-racial couples, of all the cities that were listed as possible places to move to, I would think Las Vegas would be the only one where you wouldn’t be given a hard time. Nobody cares about things like that here. Look around Vegas and you’ll see that a very, very large percentage of couples are inter-racial. It’s actually amazing how many there are here. Those other places? I've been to most of them many times and lived in Texas. They seem to be very red around the neck in all of them but Las Vegas. And I think that in several of those places you might find that the black people would be more unforgiving than the whites would be...but I don't have any stats to back that up either...just observation.

And here we agree.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 AM

86 posts, read 416,800 times
We currently work in a trauma hospital in Cinti located in a very bad part of town and dont mind it at all....but we would never live there unless we wanted to be raped, assaulted, stabbed or shot. LOL!!!! I don't nec care about the area around the hospital. We are more interested in safe areas to live where the commute isn't ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM

You are golden in that area..all the zipcodes mentioned are 10 minutes to 30 minutes from the hospital. And in general an easy drive...no bad freeways on the route.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You taking up the Redwingfan defense? When you are wrong holler that I am a Realtor?
Jim, sombody's gotta keep you in line. Besides you accused me of BSing first.
I was just trying to offer what I know about allergies. That Phoenix was #1 and Las Vegas was #2 was what used to be reported all the time. We all know how bad the allergy season is here, that's why they outlawed those trees. But I guess I can't say that it hasn't gotten worse in other parts of the country and maybe taken over our spot on the charts. If so, I didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas