Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

How is the quality of healthcare in Las Vegas? How are the hospitals? Do you find that there are enough doctors in each speciality or that you have to go to a bigger city, such as LA, if you have a serious problem? How is the care for mental illnesses? I know that there is no local medical school so are none of the hospitals teaching hospitals? Is there any medical research in LA?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:33 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
we have 3 witchdoctors. Does that help?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I know that there is no local medical school so are none of the hospitals teaching hospitals?
The University of Nevada School of Medicine is in Reno, but their main teaching hospital is in Las Vegas (University Medical Center).

Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Also the newly opened Lou Rouvo Brain Center run by the Cleveland Clinic....doing brain research.

This should ALSO be proof that we DO have a brain in Las Vegas....[sorry couldn't resist that one]

Old 12-26-2009, 12:59 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quality Care Nevada -- (http://s103.advocateoffice.com/ - broken link)

Old 12-26-2009, 01:06 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
My doctor is originally from Sri Lanka and she almost speaks english.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Mine is from the Philipines and appears to be about 16 years old

Old 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
How is the quality of health care in Las Vegas? How are the hospitals? Do you find that there are enough doctors in each specialty or that you have to go to a bigger city, such as LA, if you have a serious problem? How is the care for mental illnesses? I know that there is no local medical school so are none of the hospitals teaching hospitals? Is there any medical research in LA?

Thank you
Where are you from? Are you seriously asking if any medical research is done in Los Angeles, the largest city in the U.S.? By the way, Las Vegas is not east Los Angeles. We have 2 million people here, and all the amenities you'd expect in a large city, including large hospitals, and even a few famous doctors. By the way, I had surgery by one of the country's most renowned thoracic surgeons at the teaching hospital, University Medical Center, and I wish I had sued the SOB. And he is/was the highest paid state employee in Nevada at something like $800,000 a year. I also had one of the world's leading cardiologists evaluate my case at Cedar's Sinai in Los Angeles, and my electro physiologist here in Las Vegas was unimpressed. He says research doctors don't see enough patients day to day, so aren't really good for giving exams. He totally disagreed with what the guy in LA told me. My EP, that I jokingly refer to as Doogie Houser, is, I think, one of the best doctors I've ever had. MY GP is also a great doctor...after all she actually saved my life. In the case of certain cancers, or for certain transplants, you might end up going to Los Angeles, but you'd probably expect to go to a major metropolis for that no matter where you're from. But to answer your question, from a layman's point of view, and someone who has had a lot of experience with doctors in several cities, health care is as good here as anywhere. For emergencies, I hope I never go to any of the hospitals in the Valley Hospital/Desert Springs group again. I don't know how many they own here but I think Summerlin Hosp. is one of them. For emergencies, UMC used to be best, but an incident recently that may have caused a pregnant woman to lose her baby has caused doubt about them. In their defense they did fire six people right away in that case though.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:23 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I am sorry. I made a terrible typo. I wrote LA, instead of LV.

I am thinking of moving to Las Vegas. I am from NYC and I have health insurance from a national company. There is coverage from this plan in Las Vegas. However, when I looked at network providers for specialities, I see about 50-150 names. Here in NYC, when I look for providers in a 25 miles radius on my plan, I get 2000 or more names. For mental health care in Las Vegas, there seems to be a lot less options. My friends who have been living in Las Vegas for 20 years have some serious illnesses. Like anywhere else, they have liked some doctors and have disliked other doctors. However, they have traveled to both LA and NYC for second opinions and for treatment options unavailable in Las Vegas. This is why I asked if people were satisfied with the quality and availablity of health care in Las Vegas. This will be a very important criteria for me in order to relocate to Las Vegas. I thought given that there are many retirees in Las Vegas, that there would be an increase in doctors and hospitals. I understand that a new hospital is being built in the northwest section.

Thank you for telling me about the teaching hospital.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
Quote:
How is the quality of healthcare in Las Vegas? How are the hospitals? Do you find that there are enough doctors in each speciality or that you have to go to a bigger city, such as LA, if you have a serious problem? How is the care for mental illnesses? I know that there is no local medical school so are none of the hospitals teaching hospitals? Is there any medical research in LA?

Thank you
The ranking for care in general is pretty bad. For a major city they offer services like rural health care facilities - shortages or non-existent. Thank God, my family and I are pretty darn healthy. I would hate to have a major need for health care. But, having been in health care in Nashville and the fact that I worked for a Regional Level I Trauma center/teaching hospital, I set the bar rather high.

In 2002, UMC closed it's trauma center because of mass resignations: LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL: NEWS: TRAUMA CENTER: Facility at UMC set to close all brought on by medical malpractice insurance premiums.

I have a friend, senior, that has had care here and they have been 'testing' her for a year and trying pain management for what her docs thought was a nerve problem in her tailbone. Turns out she had a mass in her uterus and had to have a hysterectomy. Her husband has esophageal carcinoma and they go to LA for his treatments.

For mental illnesses... not much improvement there either. A lot of mentally ill continually hit the revolving door at the Clark County Detention Center because they don't know how to deal with mental illnesses. UMC has been over run with mentally ill and most are homeless without the necessary coping skills.

HOWEVER, all that said, you can find some quality physicians, it just takes work to weed out the yahoos. Do some searching on state licensing boards. Look for complaints filed against them. Get references from hospitals and get their cv's. Some even post them. Find out where they were schooled and to what associations they belong. Request a meeting with them prior to accepting them as your physician to 'get to know them' and discuss what your expectations are. If they can't communicate on your level and discuss your health care issues that make you feel comfortable, keeping moving on until you find someone that can.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas