Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 26,886 times

Advertisements

I along with a few friends will be traveling to Las Vegas late Feb/early March. We were thinking of camping for ~4 nights then spending 3-4 nights in Vegas. I have never been to Nevada and would like to experience some of its (natural) beauty before heading off to Vegas. We are mostly looking to do car camping and would like to visit at least two different areas. We are all in relatively good shape but by no means experienced hikers. Sites within a few hours of Vegas are preferred.

Any suggestions on where to go?
Also, any advice about Las Vegas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
my suggestion would be Death Valley National Park......warm enough in Feb for good camping

Old 12-14-2009, 10:16 PM

207 posts, read 907,501 times
I tend to agree, but the nights could be brutally cold if you're camping. I wouldn't call that time of year optimal for exploring the outdoors out here. If you're willing to head a little farther away, Joshua Tree is pretty gosh darn awesome. Here's some more info about Death Valley. Good luck, and post later if you find some awesome spots. It might be worth scoping out nearby Utah as well. Don't forget to check out state parks as well as national parks.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
It's just outside of Nevada in Utah, but the best place for you is Zion National Park. It is not only the most beautiful place within three hours of Vegas, there are many, many great hiking trails, and it's where everybody goes from here for a brief getaway. Camp sites can fill up, although at that time you may not have much competition. But there are some RV parks just outside Zion itself in or near Springdale. It can get cold there, but Zion is generally pretty mild so you'd probably be all right. And if you feel the need for a warm meal and something to do, the little town of Springdale, UT, is right at the entrance.

Weather wise you might find Lake Mead is a good place to camp at that time of year, but probably not for four days.

A month or two later on and a whole world of great camping will open up. But late Feb/early March is still winter. Most of our camping is at high elevations where there will be a lot of snow until after Easter. Lower elevations at that time of year can be wet and windy.

Zion is your best bet unless you go south into California's Mojave Desert. And Death Valley around Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells would probably be warming up a little by March.

You can get maps on line for all of those places.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 AM

34 posts, read 98,348 times
My vote goes to Valley of Fire for the easy hiking, mild temperatures and close proximity to Las Vegas (40 miles up I-15). Going to Utah in the late winter/early spring could get you in the middle of a snow storm.

Death Valley is another good option, albeit further away.

Pauline

Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Might be too far out of the way, depending on which route you're taking to get here, but Great Basin National Park is worth seeing.

Great Basin National Park - Lehman Caves Tours (U.S. National Park Service)

Google Map

Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you all for your help. It seems like going later in the year would be better but unfortunately late Feb/early March is the only time available to us. I'll have to talk this over with my friends and see what we decide on though Zion NP seems like the best bet given the time of year.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
You didn't say where you'll be coming from.

You know, you could just spend all your time in Las Vegas, as there is more than enough to keep you busy here in town. You can't see it all in three days. But then you can drive out into the desert to various neat places close by, like The Valley of Fire and The Lost City Museum at Overton, Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam, Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs, Boulder City and Bootleg Canyon, ghost town of Nelson (for a mine tour), and Zion Nat'l Park can be a day trip or an overnighter. Trying to do too much on one trip can ruin the whole trip.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:36 PM

We're all in Michigan now, so we'd be flying in. We were trying to decide how to break up the trip before, but it seems more and more logical to spend more time in Las Vegas, and maybe head out to Lake Mead/Hoover Dam for a day trip then maybe an overnight trip to Zion National Park (at the suggestion of Buzz123). I guess were just trying to experience the best of Las Vegas and the surrounding area given the time we have.
Thanks for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas