Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurowsks3 View Post
We're all in Michigan now, so we'd be flying in. We were trying to decide how to break up the trip before, but it seems more and more logical to spend more time in Las Vegas, and maybe head out to Lake Mead/Hoover Dam for a day trip then maybe an overnight trip to Zion National Park (at the suggestion of Buzz123). I guess were just trying to experience the best of Las Vegas and the surrounding area given the time we have. Thanks for all your help.
You will.

You should also be able to plan a few hours during the day for a ride out to Red Rock Canyon. It's a large snapshot of everything there is to see in the desert right here about 30 minutes from The Strip, including wild horses and burros. Just don't feed them.

Driving Directions from 2000 Las Vegas Blvd S Las Vegas, Nevada to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Nevada

While you're there, drive a little bit further and visit Spring Mountain Ranch State Park. Nevada Division of State Parks - Spring Mountain Ranch State Park

And if you get hungry go a little bit more and visit Bonnie Springs Ranch. Bonnie Springs, Old Nevada Las Vegas,NV Old Town Chapel Zoo Horseback Riding Tours in Redrock Canyon Restaurant Bar Motel - Bonnie Springs Ranch (http://www.bonniesprings.com/ranch.html - broken link)

Then follow the same highway, SR 159, to SR 160, hang a left and come back to town that way. It's sort of a loop. From SR 160 you'll hit I-15 which you can take (North), or go about a block and hang another left, and you'll be back on Las Vegas Boulevard (The Strip).

It'll be great. Believe me. And be sure to let us know how it went. We never get much feedback on this forum after the visitor goes home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM

402 posts, read 1,527,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Might be too far out of the way, depending on which route you're taking to get here, but Great Basin National Park is worth seeing.

Great Basin National Park - Lehman Caves Tours (U.S. National Park Service)

Google Map
Until late spring about the only thing open at GBNP is Lehman Caves. The road to the trailheads will be closed until usually around May and I think there is only one campground open as well. This year they closed the visitor's center in Baker for the winter. The only one still open is the one at the caves.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
Until late spring about the only thing open at GBNP is Lehman Caves. The road to the trailheads will be closed until usually around May and I think there is only one campground open as well. This year they closed the visitor's center in Baker for the winter. The only one still open is the one at the caves.
Yeah, that's pretty high altitude even at the base of the mountain. The trailhead for Wheeler Peak starts at 10,000 feet. They have a short hiking season.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM

62 posts, read 193,945 times
Hell, I just travel N on the 15 until I don't see anymore exits. Pull over and journey towards the nearest mountainous region that has narrowing gap that can be hiked. Of course, bring sufficient necessities....but this is the only part of Vegas where you may find your "natural beauty."

Old 12-16-2009, 10:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
We did a lot of hiking in the Mojave Desert NP in January 2008. Other than a brisk wind at times, the trails were easy to follow and the weather pleasant if you wear layers.

I also like to hike at the China Date Ranch which is just south of Death Calley NP in Tecopa Hot Springs. It is one of my favorite hikes as you are pretty much alone on NF public lands. The China Date ranch also has a bakery and will provide you with maps.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We did a lot of hiking in the Mojave Desert NP in January 2008. Other than a brisk wind at times, the trails were easy to follow and the weather pleasant if you wear layers.

I also like to hike at the China Date Ranch which is just south of Death Calley NP in Tecopa Hot Springs. It is one of my favorite hikes as you are pretty much alone on NF public lands. The China Date ranch also has a bakery and will provide you with maps.
Plus the dates have just been harvested and you can load up. It's a nice day trip. China Ranch Date Farm

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Plus the dates have just been harvested and you can load up. It's a nice day trip. China Ranch Date Farm
My wife just received her 5# of dates and all the other goodies.

Great people, great bakery and scenery that is pretty close to perfect.

Buzz, if you haven't hiked that area, it is one of teh more interesting slot canyons.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,286 times
We just went to Valley of Fire State Park this past weekend! Absoultly beautiful! Some of the most outstanding rock/mountain formations I've ever seen! It was about 80 and so warm at night, we didn't even need jackets. Another is Boulder Beach campground, it's at Lake Meade.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascampingfools View Post
We just went to Valley of Fire State Park this past weekend! Absolutely beautiful! Some of the most outstanding rock/mountain formations I've ever seen! It was about 80 and so warm at night, we didn't even need jackets. Another is Boulder Beach campground, it's at Lake Meade.
If you liked that, you should plan a trip over to Moab, UT, to Arches (we call it Archie's') National Park, and Canyonlands NP.

BTW: No 'e' on end of "Mead". Common error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas