Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 14,720 times

Advertisements

I haven't been able to find local trails in Aliante to hike the mountain range near alilante station. Are there any hiking trails near the Aliante Discovery park?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,813,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastvegas View Post
I haven't been able to find local trails in Aliante to hike the mountain range near alilante station. Are there any hiking trails near the Aliante Discovery park?

Thanks!

Well, sorta. Not really.

That "range" is literally behind some shooting ranges.

I don't know what parts along the base of those mountains would be owned by Nellis and which is BLM.

I actually go mountain biking kinda/sorta in that area. I never got the impression that I was really supposed to be there, but then again there are no signs specifically prohibiting me.

At Grand Teton and Aliante.

The road has post preventing traffic from continuing east on Grand Teton. That road runs around that little neighborhood, they even have a walking trail on the east end that goes all around that community. The pavement runs out and you can be on dirt roads, there are places where the Barbed wire fence has been compromised on the north end(yes there is a barbed wire fence) That is where I enter and go mountain biking. In their are a few goat trails where people go. Parts are protected for natural desert reclamation projects I don't think there is anything like an actually improved trail out that way though.

I've never attempted to actually go to the mountain range itself.

Obviously don't enter the protected areas, impacts areas, or any of the Nellis Ranges. They rarely use those ranges, but the SP's still patrol out that way.

That's it for the mountain range behind Aliante.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:40 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,328,428 times
The only trails *in* Aliante are our local walking/biking trails. They inter-connect with the sidewalks. So that's how we get 24 miles of trails here.
Your best bet would be to do what Exaday said. Or go out to Red Rock for some real hiking.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM

822 posts, read 2,207,409 times
If memory serves me right the mountain range you are referring to is called the Sheep Range. I have a lot of hiking books about the local area and the only trails I recall in the Sheep Range are located in the Desert National Wildlife Refuge. I would love to go hiking there but I only have a Honda Civic for transport and the roads in the DNWR are rough gravel/dirt roads. I know this isn't in the same area you are asking about but being as it's in the same mountain range I thought it might interest you. I will post some links below for you to explore if you are interested. A good book that has some of the trails in the DNWR is called Out From Las Vegas.

Sheep Mountain Range:
Sheep Range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Desert National Wildlife Refuge
Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Fish and Wildlife Service

Out From Las Vegas
Out from Las Vegas; Adventures a Day Away: Adventures a Day Away (More of the West): Florine Lawlor,Andy Zdon: 9781893343078: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas