Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM

159 posts, read 478,895 times

Advertisements

I've been here since June and haven't seen one yet, and I live in a house at the foot (not literally, but very, very close) of Frenchman Peak. Nothing by the pool, either. I haven't even seen a lizard, and I LOVE lizards. When I lived in west TX desert, there were tons of the beige-colored scorpions, and I was stung many times. NO BIG DEAL--it feels like a finger-stick (the blood test in which the tech pricks your finger really fast). Yep, as I recall, it feels exactly like that. It's momentary and doesn't even leave any kind of lasting pain...or even a mark.

Really, I wouldn't worry. If you really want to feel secure, try to find out if you're allergic and be sure you have the antidote ready, since I'm assuming there is one. Also, a good habit in desert living in general is to shake out your shoes before you put them on. As far as tarantulas go, they won't bother you if you don't bother them. Whenever they crossed the road in Texas, it signaled a change in weather. An old wive's tale that turned out to be true.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
I've been here since June and haven't seen one yet, and I live in a house at the foot (not literally, but very, very close) of Frenchman Peak. Nothing by the pool, either. I haven't even seen a lizard, and I LOVE lizards. When I lived in west TX desert, there were tons of the beige-colored scorpions, and I was stung many times. NO BIG DEAL--it feels like a finger-stick (the blood test in which the tech pricks your finger really fast). Yep, as I recall, it feels exactly like that. It's momentary and doesn't even leave any kind of lasting pain...or even a mark.

Really, I wouldn't worry. If you really want to feel secure, try to find out if you're allergic and be sure you have the antidote ready, since I'm assuming there is one. Also, a good habit in desert living in general is to shake out your shoes before you put them on. As far as tarantulas go, they won't bother you if you don't bother them. Whenever they crossed the road in Texas, it signaled a change in weather. An old wive's tale that turned out to be true.
Be careful...the smallish tan local scorpion is a bark scorpion. While rarely fatal you will know you have been stung. Much pain and even the temporary loss of the use of a limb can be a result.

To kill them step on them or hit them with a magazine. Wear shoes.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 PM

19 posts, read 67,087 times
Get a bug man. 20-25 a month, go with year around service and you'll have next to no problems. There is the random factor, even with service sometimes you'll just get a wicked ant invasion or some such. Every place will come out usually that same day to spot treat problems like that. I was a bug man for some time here. The bugs are not that bad, very managable. I worked for Ambush Pest Control, their lifetime family friends and good people. Very honest and straight forward. [/shameless shill]

Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Nevadan View Post
Get a bug man. 20-25 a month, go with year around service and you'll have next to no problems. There is the random factor, even with service sometimes you'll just get a wicked ant invasion or some such. Every place will come out usually that same day to spot treat problems like that. I was a bug man for some time here. The bugs are not that bad, very managable. I worked for Ambush Pest Control, their lifetime family friends and good people. Very honest and straight forward. [/shameless shill]
Generally not very effective against scorpions. I believe they can do some good but that it takes a specific effort.

A bug man out here is a basic as far as I am concerned. The cockroaches rule the world otherwise.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM

Scorpions are overrated. Unless you're an infant or an old person or otherwise pretty infirm, they're not a major concern. There are some pesticides that work better on scorps than others. IRC, the wettable powders like Tempo WP are recommended for scorps, but it's been some time. The number one reason that a bug man works well on scorpions is that if you don't have bugs for them to eat, you generally won't have scorpions. Having done it though for years I can say without a doubt that the number one contributing factor to bugs in your house is you. If you keep a clean house and tidy exterior you'll never have a problem and a basic pest control service will keep you bug free with them just doing the outside every month and the inside like one month in four. I knew it was bad when I could walk in to a house and smell the cockroaches. It's not a memory I relish. *Shudder.*

It is a necessity here absolutely.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Yeah good point. The scorpions do need a food source. However knocking out the cockroaches in a well landscaped place is pretty close to impossible. Any time your bug guy tells you he got them all...Wet piece of cardboard under the shrubs and look under it in 24 hours.

The best scorpion control is still no place for them to hide.

I agree the bark scorpion is not deadly. It is however very painful. Unless you are into pain don't mess with one.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM

In about 8 years I saw maybe 3 bark scorpions. And the key to understanding the pest control business is to understand that it says it all in the name..."control." There is no such thing as pest elimination. Never has been and never will be. I never told anyone I got them all. Sets you up for failure to meet expectations later. Better to spend a few minutes educating the customer about what's really going to happen, what to expect and what to do when the inevitable problem crops up and what we'll do in response. A lot of times it's just spray and pray. Sometimes it's more than that. But this town, there's no real termite problem, and you don't have to spend a bunch of time and effort troubleshooting, bug identifying etc... Hell when you read the label on a jar of bug juice, the list of bugs is probably forty or more insects long, for every kind. Usually it's a differing formulation that makes the difference. Ants are the worst. No one has a stranglehold on ant control. Those bastards are recockulous.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,673 times
Default scary bugs

I have lived in NV for over 25 years and not once seen a scorpion.
I bought a house five years ago and this guy next door starts landscaping.
Well, for an entire year, I have seen almost one scorpion a day in my home.
Night before last, one was on my ceiling, over my head. They are nocturnal.
The entire neighborhood is infested. Our association sent this letter out warning us. "GREAT"! I have spent sooooo much money on exterminators.
I am paranoid and shake out all my clothes and sheets and things.
My house is spotless. I keep no clutter anywhere. They come in through the cracks I guess. Nothing works to get rid of them. Some guy got a black light and caught like 20 one night in his yard. It's creepy.
I am going to buy this glue board stuff. It's stick and catches them. But this doesn't eliminate them for good. And I hear they walk over the bug spray anyway.
HELP - ANY SUGGESTIONS

Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,993 times
as for them going through the cracks, you can fill them. you can probably fill them with some sort of putty or this foam that comes in a aerosol can. its a yellowish foam that hardens in a few hours and it should do an excellent job sealing any cracks and openings. we used it on our old house in socal to seal up a hole that was used as a pigeon nest. and it did the trick. no more nests. give that a try. also, although the inside of your house is spotless, what about your front and back yard ? i read in earlier posts that they love hiding spots. so get rid of those. or you can always shotgun the little buggers lol

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismscafe View Post
I have lived in NV for over 25 years and not once seen a scorpion.
I bought a house five years ago and this guy next door starts landscaping.
Well, for an entire year, I have seen almost one scorpion a day in my home.
Night before last, one was on my ceiling, over my head. They are nocturnal.
The entire neighborhood is infested. Our association sent this letter out warning us. "GREAT"! I have spent sooooo much money on exterminators.
I am paranoid and shake out all my clothes and sheets and things.
My house is spotless. I keep no clutter anywhere. They come in through the cracks I guess. Nothing works to get rid of them. Some guy got a black light and caught like 20 one night in his yard. It's creepy.
I am going to buy this glue board stuff. It's stick and catches them. But this doesn't eliminate them for good. And I hear they walk over the bug spray anyway.
HELP - ANY SUGGESTIONS
They live outside...not in. Look for any hiding places...cracks in walls...any debri...log piles...sprinkker enclosures... Seal them all up or get rid of them. Get out at night with the black light. See where they are coming from. Kill all you see.

Caulk all cracks. You can get them all if you get serious about it. Make sure all doors and windows seal properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas