Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,093 times

Advertisements

i just moved into an new apartment loft in las vegas and have seen a couple of roaches, spiders and just a few minutes ago encountered my first scorpion in my garage. The pest control was just here yesterday and i am concerned because i have a young child and one on the way. Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakely View Post
i just moved into an new apartment loft in las vegas and have seen a couple of roaches, spiders and just a few minutes ago encountered my first scorpion in my garage. The pest control was just here yesterday and i am concerned because i have a young child and one on the way. Any suggestions?
For scorpions you need something stronger then regular spray. Go to the store and by Dichotomous Earth, which you can purchase at any Home Depot or Lowes. It cuts up the body of the scorpion, so it the pest control products can work. You can find it in the Pest control products or in the pool cleaning area. Due to the hard shell of the scorpion regular spraying does not help.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 PM

You also need to call you office and tell them that is what you are having problems with, so that they do something different in you apartment.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,139 times
Default Scorpions and Snakes in Las Vegas and Henderson

I would disagree with most of these posts about Scorpions and Snakes. I've lived in Las Vegas for the last 12 years. I love it here but I come across Scorpions all the time. I'm own a company where we run computer networking wiring. We run across Scorpions all the time in attics and under houses. Most of the time we find them dead but sometimes we find live aggressive scorpions.

Snakes on the other hand aren't as plentiful as scorpions but I just ran across a snake 2 weeks ago. Like a idiot I was running thought the desert while out on a shooting expedition with some friends. I look down and a rattler was looking up at me. I think he was just as weirded out as me and there wasn't a bite. I got out of his way fast and he moved away.

I spend a lot of time in the desert and have run across a lot of snakes. But you have to go looking for them. I've never found one in town ever.

Its a safe place to live. When I lived in California I was bit twice by rattlers riding a mountain bike. I was also stung by a little clear Scorpion out near my pool there.

I have 3 kids and if there was any chance of them getting bit or stung i would move out of Nevada.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
Funny thing, I have talked to people who have lived here for years and have never seen a scorpion.
My neighborhood on the otherhand is infested with them! In the last five years I have killed over 40 of them.
Just the other night, we caught four of them in the backyard in a ten minute span! We then found a large black widow and put her in the container with the four scorpions, boy what a sight that was!!
My new neighbor is really having bad issues with them in his house and says he would have bought somewhere else if he would have known there was a problem in our area.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Funny thing, I have talked to people who have lived here for years and have never seen a scorpion.
My neighborhood on the otherhand is infested with them! In the last five years I have killed over 40 of them.
Just the other night, we caught four of them in the backyard in a ten minute span! We then found a large black widow and put her in the container with the four scorpions, boy what a sight that was!!
My new neighbor is really having bad issues with them in his house and says he would have bought somewhere else if he would have known there was a problem in our area.

What area of town do you live in?

I have not seen any in my homes and I have lived mostly in North Las Vegas. I have been pretty lucky. Did find a nice size Wolf spider the other night inside. My poor dog was trying to play with it, and it was not having any of that, LOL.

Poor hubby is too tired when he get home to take care of my bugs. I think Sunday I will have to take care of it myself.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
ohoh.....Bugs is gettin out the shotgun

Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
ohoh.....Bugs is gettin out the shotgun

Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
For scorpions you need something stronger then regular spray. Go to the store and by Dichotomous Earth, which you can purchase at any Home Depot or Lowes. It cuts up the body of the scorpion, so it the pest control products can work. You can find it in the Pest control products or in the pool cleaning area. Due to the hard shell of the scorpion regular spraying does not help.
Don't you mean DE or Diatomaceous Earth? The type of DE used in pool filters is not the same as the DE used for insect control. And whatever you do, don't breathe it into your lungs. According to the link below: "Pool grade DE should never be used for pest control. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica!"

Diatomaceous Earth

You can also be allergic to DE and/or the individual minerals it's made of.

Last edited by Buzz123; 07-10-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 05:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasnetguy View Post
I would disagree with most of these posts about Scorpions and Snakes. I've lived in Las Vegas for the last 12 years. I love it here but I come across Scorpions all the time. I'm own a company where we run computer networking wiring. We run across Scorpions all the time in attics and under houses. Most of the time we find them dead but sometimes we find live aggressive scorpions.

Snakes on the other hand aren't as plentiful as scorpions but I just ran across a snake 2 weeks ago. Like a idiot I was running thought the desert while out on a shooting expedition with some friends. I look down and a rattler was looking up at me. I think he was just as weirded out as me and there wasn't a bite. I got out of his way fast and he moved away.

I spend a lot of time in the desert and have run across a lot of snakes. But you have to go looking for them. I've never found one in town ever.

Its a safe place to live. When I lived in California I was bit twice by rattlers riding a mountain bike. I was also stung by a little clear Scorpion out near my pool there.

I have 3 kids and if there was any chance of them getting bit or stung i would move out of Nevada.
Of course there are snakes in the desert, and if you live on the edge of the desert you might find them. I have never seen one in town though...not that there aren't any at all.

Not that these folks on here aren't seeing scorpions, because in new areas there have to be lots of them since new homes are built over their territory, but sometimes people will see vinegaroons and think they are seeing scorpions. vinegaroon - Google Image Search

What limits the population and distribution of vinagaroons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas