Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times

Advertisements

okay, this may have been talked about a lot too....sorry.

But I need to know the truth about these scary things! I never knew scorpions were a serious problem in peope's houses until I started doing a little research. What about apartments? I would imagine that if you live in a newer aparment building (and up higher) your chances of finding a scorpion would be less!? (please tell me the best way to avoid these creatures!!). Are they common in the urban areas too? Is there some big cover up going on and the scorps are hiding out in hotel rooms too!?!!?

I'm a little freaked out by scorpions, roaches, snakes...all that. I may be working outdoors a bit, so expect to find them there, that doesn't bother me. But if I find one in my sink I might sleep in my car...

thanks!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Relax. Scorpions mostly come in from CA with the palm trees. There are places that have them but they are relatively rare. In eleven years in our place...which is pretty large and sprawling and close to undeveloped desert we have never seen one. We know a particular area in one neighborhood that gets one rarely...but that is about it.

Being stung is generally not a big deal. Like a wasp. No real problem unless you are allergic...which is rare.

In general the only creature you will run into is the good old german cockroach. Add water to the desert and you grow cockroaches. Proper spraying controls them pretty much completely.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM

I am relaxed, I havn't moved yet and want to educate myself. I have read stories that are much worse than what you describe. but I guess my real question is, since i am not planning on living in a home, but an apartment -- are they less of a problem in apartments? Apartments tend to be managed and often they spray for pests etc, and I figure the higher a person lives in a building (like say, a high rise for instance) they are less likely to get pests such as scorpions. Is this true? Would I see fewer scorpions on a 5th floor apartment than a garden apartment? I would think so, but I dont know for sure, so I ask..

thanks.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I am relaxed, I havn't moved yet and want to educate myself. I have read stories that are much worse than what you describe. but I guess my real question is, since i am not planning on living in a home, but an apartment -- are they less of a problem in apartments? Apartments tend to be managed and often they spray for pests etc, and I figure the higher a person lives in a building (like say, a high rise for instance) they are less likely to get pests such as scorpions. Is this true? Would I see fewer scorpions on a 5th floor apartment than a garden apartment? I would think so, but I dont know for sure, so I ask..

thanks.
The probability of a scorpion anywhere is low. In a multi apartment building less yet...on a upper floor less yet.

The test for scorpions is relatively simple. You go out at night with a black light. Scorpions come out at night and fluoresce like mad.

If you start fixating on the subject you are going to make yourself unhappy. I don't know anywhere in the US...certainly no where in the warm half...that does not have a couple of noxious pests. Vegas is free of most. Mosquitoes are rare, ticks and flees nonexistent pretty much . Only ground burrowing termites...a few percent of the problem presented by flying ones in most warm climates. We do have black widow spiders and rarely scorpions. There are even a few very rare tarantulas in the desert. But basically nicer than most warm places in the US.

Out of curiousity where did you find the scarey scorpion stories? Like to see them.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Yeah, we all heard the "make sure you shake out your boots in the morning the get the scorpions out" stories before moving to Vegas.....lol.

In five years there, including 2 years living in a development that backed up to vacant desert, we never saw a single scorpion or cockroach. There was an occasional spider, and a lot of crickets when they finally started moving dirt on the other side of the wall of our back yard, but that's it. The crickets and spiders are easily controlled by having a pest control company service your home. It cost around $20/month and is highly recommended- especially if you live toward the outskirts of town.

You're going to worry yourself to death.

Bob

Old 02-17-2007, 05:11 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
I lived in Las Vegas for almost 10 years. Like you, I fear bugs, snakes, etc. But we didn't have a problem with them. Occassionally in the house you see a spider, just like anywhere you live. I only saw a terantula (spelling?) once and that was hiking in Red Rock. Never saw a snake at all.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I've never seen a scorpion in Nevada. I know they are here but I don't see them. Urban areas aren't where they hang out. I saw one once in rural Texas, and a tarrantula too.

You will see roaches. The best way to minimize these peste is to take out the trash every day and NEVER leav any food out or dirth dishes in the sink. I also keep my flour and sugar in the freezer. I learned this from living in Texas too. The roach capitol of the world!

There are Black Widow Spiders. Don't blindly reach into dark quiet places. Use the flashlight and take a look first! You are much more likely to see them outside and they have crazy looking webs.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
Just to follow up --- I never saw a roach in my home in all the years there. And I kept my sugar in the cupboard in a container with a lid. I do keep the kichen clean, but would do that anyway. :-)

Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 AM

thanks good to hear all this. I wasnt worried about it until I read some stories (I just did a google search and tons of stories came up from all over the southwest including las vegas area, but mostly summerlin for whtaever reason). I am not worried yet, I know myself. If it got to the point where I had to walk around with a blacklight and tweezers THEN I would be worried and never able to sleep again!! If I go into a place feeling like there is no problem it wont get to that point and I'll be fine. I have moved into apartments with roaches before and I could NOT sleep!! I now live an apartment where I am the first tenant in a new construction and I have never seen a bug...its so nice!! I hate to leave such security to find scorpions in my sink! ack!!!

Thats a good tip to keep flour and sugar in the freezer.... I will probably try that once I leave here.

anyway, I can't give links to the stories I read about scropions cause I dont have them anymore, but it was very easy to find...even watched a home movie of a guy with a blacklight and catching scorpions...yuck, no thanks! some people have some really horrible stories about their homes being infested and one or two of them was in the las vegas area but mostly arizona or texas. I did read a couple of apartment reviews in las vegas where scorpions were a problem, it seemed to be one of the apartments was a garden level apartment near the pool and palms.

thanks.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Wow! My spelling was awful on that post! Sorry!

Anyway, with reasonable precautions, you won't run into these nasty creatures! I walk around barefoot a lot and I never even think about these things. If they were more common, I would.

I've lived on the east coast and the midwest. I know people don't think twice about leaving a box of doughnuts or something on the counter. You just can't do that in the south. Vegas or Texas for sure!

Maybe the freezer thing is extreme but it has served me well! Another little trick is to put bay leaves in the container. THEY say roaches don't like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas