Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times

Advertisements

3 days into my new life, my thoughts and observations so far are:

Not so sure about the lack of humidity making a huge difference when the temp is so high. I am dealing with it, but I don't really mind being hot as long as I have a place to cool down. But, WOW. The heat is incredible.

So far, I really like the Equestrian. Nice grounds. Great location. Great pools.

Went to Coronado HS today. It is so much bigger than the high schools back in MI. Looked very nice though, and we are going to the welcome BBQ on the 21st.

I do not like taking my dang dog out at night to do his business because I can't stand sidestepping the "water bugs" aka roaches. Yuck. I am going to start carrying a spray bottle of water around with me so they scurry away.

I do miss the greenery of MI already, but soon that will be gone and turn to white which I will NOT miss at all. So, it is a even trade there.

I am not a big fan of driving, but I have been doing fine and I think if I can handle navigating Eastern, I should be ok for a while. (I hate merging, thus it makes it difficult for me to travel the freeways)

Speaking of driving, coming from MI, the hardest thing to get use to is that there are no Michigan lefts. So, basically here at the intersections, when in the left turn lane you are allowed to do a U-turn? Hope so, because I did one today!!!

I have not had the DMV experience yet. But, I did buy a vehicle. Dang saleman. I do like the vehicle (Dodge Nitro) just hate the price. Ah well.

I am sure that I will expand on my new experiences as I experience them and I will post about the school since there seems to be many, many questions regarding that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
3 days into my new life, my thoughts and observations so far are:

Not so sure about the lack of humidity making a huge difference when the temp is so high. I am dealing with it, but I don't really mind being hot as long as I have a place to cool down. But, WOW. The heat is incredible.

So far, I really like the Equestrian. Nice grounds. Great location. Great pools.

Went to Coronado HS today. It is so much bigger than the high schools back in MI. Looked very nice though, and we are going to the welcome BBQ on the 21st.

I do not like taking my dang dog out at night to do his business because I can't stand sidestepping the "water bugs" aka roaches. Yuck. I am going to start carrying a spray bottle of water around with me so they scurry away.

I do miss the greenery of MI already, but soon that will be gone and turn to white which I will NOT miss at all. So, it is a even trade there.

I am not a big fan of driving, but I have been doing fine and I think if I can handle navigating Eastern, I should be ok for a while. (I hate merging, thus it makes it difficult for me to travel the freeways)

Speaking of driving, coming from MI, the hardest thing to get use to is that there are no Michigan lefts. So, basically here at the intersections, when in the left turn lane you are allowed to do a U-turn? Hope so, because I did one today!!!

I have not had the DMV experience yet. But, I did buy a vehicle. Dang saleman. I do like the vehicle (Dodge Nitro) just hate the price. Ah well.

I am sure that I will expand on my new experiences as I experience them and I will post about the school since there seems to be many, many questions regarding that.
welcome....sounds like you are adjusting fine.

i will always take the heat over the humidity, although i do concede it is freakin' hot here.

you get used to the bugs at night....hardly even notice them anymore.

eastern is kinda a PITA...construction, etc. but there are almost always alternative routes. you'll find them as you live here more.

my understanding is that if there is no sign saying you can't, u-turns are cool. (what is a MI left?)

hope you enjoy your new ride.

**oh yeah. you get used to the lack of green, although when you go somewhere lush it is almost mesmerizing

Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

U-Turns are allowed and a way of life here. Just watch out for the guy who is trying to make a right turn on red and not cosidering the fact that you might make a u-turn and turn into him. You do have the right of way in that instance. There are some intersections where they are not allowed, but they are marked.

My buddy from Detroit has tried to explain the MI left to me, but I still dont get it. Sounds complicated.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Welcome to Las Vegas!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
What are the Equestrians with pools? You got me on that one. The only Horse trails are near Bonny Springs I thought.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What are the Equestrians with pools? You got me on that one. The only Horse trails are near Bonny Springs I thought.
Oops, sorry maybe I wasn't so clear on that. The Equestrian is the apt complex we are in.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM

207 posts, read 734,231 times
Welcome, you will get used to the heat. It killed me when I first moved but now its like "Oh its only 104 today.. not bad" lol seriously.. it will get better.

The roaches are tiny out here.. compared to some i saw growing up in NYC.. hell we named them.. lol

Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,702 times
Should of moved to Lake Havasu City for a year and then Vegas. You'd find 110 quite comfortable then!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
You will adapt. In my personal opinion this is very close to perfect Vegas weather. The temperature is not extreme and the RH is in single digits. Does not get any better.

At 5:00PM this evening I hit the pool for a quick swim. Dog came along for a few frog throws. Found it a little cool. Pool is around 88 or 89...but the wind was doing 15 or 20 knots. Combined with the low RH any part out of the water felt cool quick. Perfect time for working in the yard. You get wet and you are cool for 15 minutes. Start to feel warm get wet.

When you need green run to one of the parks or Mt. Charleston. It goes away pretty quick.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 PM

21 posts, read 101,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
My buddy from Detroit has tried to explain the MI left to me, but I still dont get it. Sounds complicated.
I've found a video of the "Michigan Left" to show those of you what they are.

On busy streets with 3-4 lanes on each side with an island in the middle to divide them. It's sort of like a U-Turn, but we've got them all over the place in the island... Just watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2fZ_bK2t8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas