Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 22,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvre411 View Post
Check out meetup.com -- there is a really big hiking group that goes on some great hiking trips around Vegas.. and farther if you want.. There are also other groups such as mountain bikers and the rock climbers on there.. that's where you want to be to really get to experience the not so obvious things we do around here.

Kimba -- interesting reading your experiences and welcome to Vegas!
thankx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
Meetup.com is great; they have something for everyone. Besides my iggy group, I just took on running the LV Russian Language & Culture Group. Would you guys believe that Meetup is asking me to apply to become a paid PT (15 to 25 hours per week) mentor to the local Meetup groups? Stop the world, I want to get off!

Vegas water is rather hard, but you won't die from drinking it. As long as it's cold, it's not that bad.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 PM

230 posts, read 885,067 times
Did you ever find out about the water here? I have been buying bottled water since I arrived, although somebody I met here at the pool said that we have a very efficient water cleansing system and have very good water here... Don't know if that's true.

Oh and do the roaches tend to be worse in the summer? Are there less of them in the cooler months?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Did you ever find out about the water here? I have been buying bottled water since I arrived, although somebody I met here at the pool said that we have a very efficient water cleansing system and have very good water here... Don't know if that's true.

Oh and do the roaches tend to be worse in the summer? Are there less of them in the cooler months?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 AM

Is there an echo in here?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapr220 View Post

Having lived in the desert most of my life, the roaches will go back underground and hibernate or whatever it is that they do by around late september/early october depending on the weather. I am hoping for a cooler fall so they will get back where they belong sooner.
Then they usually start sneaking out again in May. Just call the Bug Bully and you won't be freaking out come next summer.

As for the water, if in doubt, do like many of the locals do: buy a water filtering system you attach to your faucet, like pur or brita. Cheap and effective, depending on what harmful junk you want removed from your water. Or get a countertop pitcher model like Brita's.
You can also buy your own 5 gallon bottles and fill them up at many purified water stations around the valley for 25cents a gallon. Go to any water store or any place that sells the holders or ceramic thingies with the stand and you will be ok.

Or you can just drink the water from the tap. If you like that fresh chlorine taste, go for it.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 AM

LOL, Thanks for the input. I have seen those water stations outside Smith's, That seems like the most economical way.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:29 AM

191 posts, read 665,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Is there an echo in here?

hahaha..you always make me laugh brotha..i could just imagine you looking like this-- when you typed that.

hi Pink

Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM

Moi, look like this?

Well, let's break it down...

Squinty eyes...only when I forget my shades, which isn't wise here in Vegas.

Big grin...no, it's much more fun to keep a poker face while cracking jokes.

Green skin...slightly true, but with 9 tats, I've got enough color to join the NAACP.

Aside for the low quality cell phone picture of me and the Enigma in my profile, please feel free to check this
YouTube video of me and one of my iggies, Queen. As you can see, she's quite cuddly. Please leave stars and comments.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,798 times
Hey Kimba welcome!! Next year is when you will really notice a difference. When we first moved here I couldn't tell the difference between humid and non humid. Now I can tell as soon as it creeps into double digits.

Just as in MI when we feel like we can't take another cold dreary day, here you feel that way about the heat. Then the fall hits and you start to get the 80-90 degree days with the cooler nights and you remember why you moved here!!!! Fall means 80's and 90's with SUN not cold, rainy dark days with winter right around the corner.

My kids LOVE Halloween here, they actually get to see what everyone's costume looks like!! Not hidden under a bunch of winter clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas