Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times

Advertisements

I think we did the Michigan Left...along with the Promenade and the Doe-see-doe...in square-dancing in elementary school gym class.

The Michigan Left kind of makes NJ's jughandle creator look like a traffic genius!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 PM

172 posts, read 559,373 times
hi kimba
Well I understand the Michigan left and you did just fine. You'll see some places where they post that you can't do it but for the most part it's legal. Personally I'm with you about the heat. I don't think I'll ever get used to these temps low humidity or not. It truly helps to take a swim though! Locals assure me that's the temps go down significantly soon. I don't know though. As kids in Michigan we used to complain about wearing coats over our Halloween costumes. Here we will wear shorts! Glad u made it here safely!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM

81 posts, read 260,681 times
Vegas U-Turns are just the Bastard Step child of the Michigan left.

If you really don't understand them, just think of a Michigan Left as a U Turn AFTER the intersection.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM

542 posts, read 1,930,926 times
Glad you made it here safely!! I am also new ( 1 month & 5 days) from Ohio. I hate the bugs too!!! They freak me out. lol

Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,675,519 times
I'm glad to hear that you're making it so far, Kimba. For the most part, you don't need to take the freeways, they're just faster...for the most part. In the three years that I've been here, I think that this summer has been the mildest. Driest, too. One day, my first year here, it got up to 117. I had a lot of stuff to do that day, so the lemonade at Blueberry Hill restaurant (Charleston & Decatur, there are a few in town. Great food, cheap) was quite refreshing.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,961,872 times
What I think is different with the MI left and here is that in MI you have to pass the road you want to turn left on, then get in the left turnaround and go all the way to the right and turn right onto that street. This is not every road, just the ones with the grassy islands in the middle. Here, when you have those left turnaround lanes, it seems it is usually to get into a shopping plaza. I think I may like actually being able to turn left onto the street I want to get to, instead of having to pass it and actually make a right to go left. (Ok, it does sound like a Dos-si-doe!!)

I have been to Blueberry Hill a couple times when we visited here. I liked it. It is so dry to me too. I had to go buy saline spray for my nose!! I have never gotten a bloody nose except out here. Well, there was that time some stupid biker dude slammed my sister's face into mine...different story though!

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 22,439 times
just moved back to vegas from San Diego, dont ask me why... but ive always been used to vegas weather.. like a previous poster said... id also pick hot over humidity.

it was 99 degrees today... nice!

also i recommend holding off a few seconds before proceeding, when light turns green.. ive noticed theres always stragglers after the red light.. almost got hit twice ever since i've been here.

im interested in taking up a outdoor hobby in vegas.. anybody got suggestions? (ie. rock climbing, mountain biking, ....)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 PM

18 posts, read 51,134 times
We just moved here a couple of weeks ago from PA. Here's my impressions: It's really hot, but I'm okay in the shade, and after 5pm it's quite tolerable. I really like living across from Wolfter Dog Park-and my kids love playing in the sand, and the added protection from the shade is nice. No, I haven't gambled any of our money yet, and honestly have no desire to. It was nice to gain 3 hours, but I'm still waking up at 6:30am. I do miss the rain we used to get back in PA, but I'm looking forward to October when it cools a bit. It took a little bit longer to get our licenses transfered at the DMV, but atleast everyone was working-and we were able to get registered. I absolutely do not like the red lights here. I love all of the sidewalks, and can't believe the buses run on Sundays. Yeah, we really like this place, and I finally get to walk my daughters to school.

Does anyone know where to get fresh poppy seed bagels? I wasn't too impressed w/the selection at Albertsons, and Walmart has none.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,418,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb610 View Post
just moved back to vegas from San Diego, dont ask me why... but ive always been used to vegas weather.. like a previous poster said... id also pick hot over humidity.

it was 99 degrees today... nice!

also i recommend holding off a few seconds before proceeding, when light turns green.. ive noticed theres always stragglers after the red light.. almost got hit twice ever since i've been here.

im interested in taking up a outdoor hobby in vegas.. anybody got suggestions? (ie. rock climbing, mountain biking, ....)
welcome back.

mtb around here is good...plenty of great trails. you do have to deal w/ the heat during the summer, but i biked last week (112F when we started) and it wasn't that bad (slept like a baby that night, though). stay in the shade of the mts or bike at night (get a good light.....the desert at night is truly spectacular) until the fall and you'll be fine.

i hear the climbing is good, but i am not in the shape to do that nemore. plenty of hiking in the spring and sheep mtns (more accessible and cooler temps in the springs). wait for it to cool a bit and there is plenty out by the lake as well (VoF, etc.)

enjoy it....i know i do.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,487,349 times
The nearest Einstein's Bagel place (they're all over the valley) will put you in touch with those poppy seed bagels, and they're good too.

Or the Bagel Cafe on Buffalo Drive, just south of Summerlin Parkway....equally good

Glad you seem to be doing well here, the heat becomes more tolerable as time goes by, you get used to it.

Welcome and continued good luck in your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas