Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 15,993 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So next week I will be coming out to Vegas from Boston. I will be there for three days and one of those days will be speant interviewing. I would like to look for apartments and was thinking of looking in Summerlin. Ive heard all good things there. I would like to look at gated communities only. I am 23/f and safety is of the utmost importance to me. I also want to get a feel of what Nevada has to offer besides the strip..I was thinking of going to Lake Mead and Red Rock..any thoughts on this and advice would be greatly appreciated. And how far is that from the strip seeing is I would be taking a cab! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM

278 posts, read 792,868 times
most of the apartment complexes in/around/near summerlin are gated... some have a computerized/motorized gate, and others are guard gated. for some that makes a difference, for others it doesn't.

also, what are you looking to spend on rent?
do you have pets?
do you want a garage or a parking space?

those sorts of things may matter. or maybe they don't, i don't know your situation.

personally, i used yahoo's real estate website (realestate.yahoo.com) for my search and sort of went from there.

as far as lake mead and red rock, they are on opposite sides of vegas, with the lake being on the east side, and red rock being on the west side. both are probably about 20-25 miles one way.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,300,549 times
Default Get hired first

If they fly you in for an interview you can afford to live reasonably well in Las Vegas. Go out look around in Green Valley and in Seven Hills and in Summerlin and in the NW.

You will likely have the choice of a few hundred places if not more.

Enjoy your visit. If you get hired come back in and stay at one of the weekly places for a week or so and then find an accomodation longer term.

Works even if you are moving stuff. They can't get here in a week to save their souls from Boston. Most likely two or three.

All the sweet young thing places are gated. Though I would point out the young guys live inside so you might be on the wrong side of the gate.

If you need specifics drop me a DM. The Admiral or I will point you right.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 15,993 times
Thanks to both of you..very useful..

I would like to pay no more than 1000 for a one bedroom..I have no pets but would need a spot for my car.

Olecat...I can understand where you are coming from with the "get hired first"..I am however considering moving out there regardless if I get this job or not. It will be my 5th interview and it cant hurt to get a better idea.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,421,933 times
the lake will be hotter than vegas (unless you hit the water ), but if you head to red rocks in the evening after the mts start casting their shadow you won't regret it. not sure how much a cab ride will run you...might be a shuttle service or something.

gl and enjoy urself.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,441,144 times
If you could get a cab to take you to the lake or Red Rock it would cost a fortune, but I doubt you could get one anyway. You'd really need to rent a car and drive. To get to the water is about 30 miles, but the lake has 550 miles of shoreline, so it depends on where you want to go on the lake. If all you want to do is see the water and part of the lake go to the dam and kill two stones with one bird. Red Rock is about 18 miles to the entrance, and the loop road running though it is one way and either 11 or 13 miles. Get used to long distances and wide open spaces. If I remember my calculations right, Las Vegas is about ten times the size of Boston and we don't have the T.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,709,929 times
most apt complexes with gates, have their gates busted in every other week, and it takes forever for management to fix them, also most of the time, the gates are open when the office is open, unless they have a special roundabout type thing for the gates and office...

Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM

278 posts, read 792,868 times
Quote:
I would like to pay no more than 1000 for a one bedroom..I have no pets but would need a spot for my car.
should be easily doable. i think most of the 1bedrooms in Summerlin are around $800-900 per month.

Quote:
Works even if you are moving stuff. They can't get here in a week to save their souls from Boston. Most likely two or three.
i just did a corporate move from la to vegas... my things were packed june 30... delivered july 9th. it probably didn't help that july 4th was in there.

i wouldn't want to imagine what the timeline would be for boston to vegas.

Quote:
All the sweet young thing places are gated. Though I would point out the young guys live inside so you might be on the wrong side of the gate.
hilarious!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 PM

100 posts, read 405,571 times
From nj next week, with the movers picking up our furniture and things on the 7th, will not arrive in vegas until 22nd. Which works fine for us as we are stopping thru NC to visit my parents a week or so, then to nashville for a day or 2 to see the new grand baby. So we are driving out at our leisure. we are shipping one car and it will also be there around the 22nd-25th.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM

19 posts, read 50,043 times
We lived in Vegas for 10yrs from ND/MN. It was a culture shock but it is a city of opportunity !!! Summerlin is a very nice ,clean area to live. You will be able to find a really nice place for 1000 or less. There are free apt magazines in the stores/gas stations so pick one up and get an idea of some of the apt rentals. Budget Suites is a great weekly place to stay at but be careful which one. There's a couple by the strip and i would stay away from those. Bad neighborhoods! Green Valley is very nice also, more ritsy. North LV has really grown and the newer part is very nice. If you like a smaller town consider Boulder City, it is wonderful! And Lk Mead is not far. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask me! heidi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas