Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 AM

4 posts, read 21,528 times

Advertisements

Hi, all,

Last night I got my first traffic ticket after driving almost 20 years! It was dark and I didn't see the Non U turn sign and made a U turn and got caught. To make matters worse, I forgot to put the new proof of insurance in my car (I showed the officer an expired one). So now I got a ticket for two violations!

Since I am totally inexperience and upset about it (I have been a good citizen , not even had a parking ticket before), So I would appreciate if anyone can explain to me about my following concerns:

1. The officer told me that when I bring the valid proof of insurance to the court, that violation should be dismissed. But what about the other one? Can I tell the court that I didn't see the Non U turn sign (I don't know if they will accept this reason)? Will I only see a clerk or a judge for this?

2. Should I go to the court myself or hire a lawyer?

3. What's the possibilty for me to go to Traffic school? If I do need to go, does it cost me anything for traffic school?

4. Any one knows the possible fine I will face?

5. Any one knows how many points I will get?

You see, I got the ticket last night around 8:30 and I can't sleep for the whole night, I am just too upset for my stupid U turn!

Any comments and feedbacks from anyone will be very appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
I know exactly how you feel. I got a speeding ticket for going 35 in a 25...right by my house. I do not speed! I don't even litter!

So this really upset me. I moved...that's how upset I was with the city I had called home.

{was going to move anyways} but I told city hall that if they were so hard up for cash due to the economy...they better stop their officers from giving out silly tickets or more people will grow to hate the city.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:27 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
There are various lawyers that offer a service where you give them you ticket and tell you to call them back in a few weeks. Then they go to court and greatly reduce the fine and you get NO points. One such lawyer I know and use is Craig Kenny.
Do a search on him. His offices are downtown.
On the insurance part you have to go to court yourself

Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
It's probably hard to read but it should tell you your options on the back of the ticket. The last ticket I got I went to the new Regional Justice Center, pled guilty, paid a fine, and scheduled traffic school for a later date. That way there were no points and my insurance wasn't notified. When my wife got one about a month ago, she did it all on line, even traffic school. The ticket my wife got was printed out on the spot. The cops use a little computer/printer gadget now. No five copies of carbon paper, nor ball points running out of ink, or leaking all over their uniforms anymore. For every ticket I've ever had the system was different as over time they keep making it easier. They collect more fines that way. It's not the end of the world and it's not hard to take care of.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGMOM08 View Post
Should I go to the court myself or hire a lawyer?
Related article.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
been a long time since I got one, but I always figure....pay it cause that makes up for the 1000 times they DIDN'T catch me

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
I got a speeding ticket, about 3 years ago. Yup, the little old lady from Las Vegas. Doing 60 in a 45 mph zone, I never even realized it, I had a new car, and I was speeding. The motorcycle cop got me on Buffalo, he was hiding on a side street and zapped me as I flew past him.

Anyways...being it was my first offense, he reduced the speed to 55 in a 45 mph zone (he said it would reduce the fine amount) and gave me what looked like a cash register tape.

It had all the info on it. The next day I called the number to Metro...man, that line was busy, busy, busy but finally I got someone to answer my questions.

Weighing all the options, I chose to pay the ticket in full ($190) and receive a point on my license for a year. I knew I'd never speed again so that worked for me. They took my debit card info right over the phone and it was done. No traffic school, nothing.

I did in fact, call a week later, gave my case number or ticket number (whatever they called it) and requested some official documentation from Metro that my ticket was paid in full, which I received about a week later.

I didn't trust Metro's bookkeeping skills and I wanted permanent proof that this speeding ticket would never come back to bite me in the SS again in the future.

The point came off my license exactly one year later and my insurance never went up either, probably because I never had any infractions previously.

I see that cop on his motorcycle quite often when I drive down Buffalo Drive in my travels, even now. I have my cruise control set to 45 mph so he can't get me anymore.

But oh boy, I've seen quite a few cars get the siren treatment in my trips over there.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGMOM08 View Post
Hi, all,

Last night I got my first traffic ticket after driving almost 20 years! It was dark and I didn't see the Non U turn sign and made a U turn and got caught. To make matters worse, I forgot to put the new proof of insurance in my car (I showed the officer an expired one). So now I got a ticket for two violations!

Since I am totally inexperience and upset about it (I have been a good citizen , not even had a parking ticket before), So I would appreciate if anyone can explain to me about my following concerns:

1. The officer told me that when I bring the valid proof of insurance to the court, that violation should be dismissed. But what about the other one? Can I tell the court that I didn't see the Non U turn sign (I don't know if they will accept this reason)? Will I only see a clerk or a judge for this?

2. Should I go to the court myself or hire a lawyer?

3. What's the possibilty for me to go to Traffic school? If I do need to go, does it cost me anything for traffic school?

4. Any one knows the possible fine I will face?

5. Any one knows how many points I will get?

You see, I got the ticket last night around 8:30 and I can't sleep for the whole night, I am just too upset for my stupid U turn!

Any comments and feedbacks from anyone will be very appreciated!!!
Make it easy on yourself and use C Kenny. I have used him numerous times for both minor, and not so minor citations. Never traffic school, never points, and always reduced fines. My most recent was also an illegal u-turn, reduced to a seatbelt violation---$90 total. Craig Kenny 723 S 7th St 702-380-2800.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Make it easy on yourself and use C Kenny. I have used him numerous times for both minor, and not so minor citations. Never traffic school, never points, and always reduced fines. My most recent was also an illegal u-turn, reduced to a seatbelt violation---$90 total. Craig Kenny 723 S 7th St 702-380-2800.
We use him also. The last one for my husband he got reduced down to a parking ticket with no points. He does not charge you. He just wants the business if you get a DUI! LOL

Old 07-19-2008, 02:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Yes those guys are right. Craig Kenny The Law Offices of Craig P. Kenny & Associates - Las Vegas Nevada Personal Injury and Traffic Violations Attorneys does it at no cost to you. The city will bill you later. No court, no points. Yes there really is something free in this world. This is his way of giving back from when his brothers were killed by drunks and the horrible treatment Lawyers gave him just because he was an immigrant. (legal) This is his revenge.

It is true he will get the extortion ticket reduced to a parking ticket but Henderson has a new law just passed in March. No more do they reduce tickets that are disputed. They will reduce the charge to a parking violation or a seat belt violation but not the fine. I guess that lousy city has to pay for the gas for all their big gas guzzler SUV cop cars. I dont know why they cant have normal cop automobiles like every other city in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas