Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 AM

6 posts, read 18,222 times

Advertisements

To all the local real estate experts out on this forum... I'm considering purchasing a home along the 215 in the Vista's of Summerlin (charleston and the beltway). Because it backs up to the beltway, it has great complete unobstructed views of the valley and the strip. Of course the drawback is that it backs up to the powerlines and the freeway. Do you think the proximity of the property to these things are more of a libablity when it comes to re-selling the house, or does the full strip view and lack of neighbors become an asset?

It's a beautiful neighborhood and great house. I'm getting a good price on it, but i'm just nervous that the de-valuation from the powerlines and beltway will trump the value of the full the strip view and privacy.

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:23 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
i just remember how inconvenient the noise from the beltway was in Green Valley Ranch, it was very difficult to sleep some nights...

Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
There's a reason you're "getting a good price on it", and the person you sell it to down the road will expect to "get a good price on it" too.

I remember looking at a project in NJ with a developer. We were standing on the piece of property in the middle of the Meadowlands (a literal swamp, or "tidal marsh" as they like to call it), and he kept saying "can you believe the view of NYC from here!!??" Yeah, there was a view of NYC- you looked across the swamp, across the RR tracks, then more swamp, then the NJ Turnpike, more swamp, and the river, and waaaayyy off in the distance was NYC. Yeah, great view- between that and the stink when the tide went out, you've sold me............

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncerel View Post
To all the local real estate experts out on this forum... I'm considering purchasing a home along the 215 in the Vista's of Summerlin (charleston and the beltway). Because it backs up to the beltway, it has great complete unobstructed views of the valley and the strip. Of course the drawback is that it backs up to the powerlines and the freeway. Do you think the proximity of the property to these things are more of a libablity when it comes to re-selling the house, or does the full strip view and lack of neighbors become an asset?

It's a beautiful neighborhood and great house. I'm getting a good price on it, but i'm just nervous that the de-valuation from the powerlines and beltway will trump the value of the full the strip view and privacy.

Thanks-
I am reasonably familiar with those homes. The two aspects tend to counter each other. Price will be less than the same house on an interior lot...maybe five or ten percent.

The real rub is that they are hard to sell. Only maybe a third of the buyers will seriously consider them. So you need three times as many buyers through to get a sale.

Depending on exactly where the noise can be a problem. Note that 215 traffic will triple over the years.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 AM

278 posts, read 1,084,420 times
When we were looking for houses we found online a KB home subdivision down in Henderson. The homes were gorgeous, brand new and the price was right. When we drove to the neighborhood to check them out we were surprised to find a gigantic power line running right through the development, directly over the park area proposed for the kids. While driving under these, I could hear a low hum and every once in a while a zap. We didn't even bother getting out of our car We ran into the power line dilemma a few more times while we looking down in Henderson. After that, I google earthed every address before my husband viewed the homes. I think the nearest power lines we have are the ones down by the Vista's and for us that is miles away.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 18,222 times
Thanks for all the reply's-
Looks like there is a concensus forming...
Personally, it was the view that 'sold' me on the house, and I wasn't bothered by the beltway or powerlines... but from what I'm hearing, it seems like a big issue when it comes time for re-sale.

Olecapt- when you say that interior lots will go for a higher price, is that a general comment about subdivisions, or one that specifically refers to these perimeter houses along the beltway?

thanks-

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
I lived in the area briefly before I moved into my current home.

It's a really nice area. I wouldn't say that the noise or anything is too bad.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncerel View Post
Thanks for all the reply's-
Looks like there is a concensus forming...
Personally, it was the view that 'sold' me on the house, and I wasn't bothered by the beltway or powerlines... but from what I'm hearing, it seems like a big issue when it comes time for re-sale.

Olecapt- when you say that interior lots will go for a higher price, is that a general comment about subdivisions, or one that specifically refers to these perimeter houses along the beltway?

thanks-
Specific...though a corollary to a general truth. Perimeter houses take a hit if it is a busy street. If it is a dead street or something like a park it can be an advantage. Power lines in plain view are always a problem.

I had one client turn down a home because it was obvious that the power line ran under the house.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There's a reason you're "getting a good price on it", and the person you sell it to down the road will expect to "get a good price on it" too.

I remember looking at a project in NJ with a developer. We were standing on the piece of property in the middle of the Meadowlands (a literal swamp, or "tidal marsh" as they like to call it), and he kept saying "can you believe the view of NYC from here!!??" Yeah, there was a view of NYC- you looked across the swamp, across the RR tracks, then more swamp, then the NJ Turnpike, more swamp, and the river, and waaaayyy off in the distance was NYC. Yeah, great view- between that and the stink when the tide went out, you've sold me............
I know what your saying Bob. Been there and done that. My Dad worked on the Meadowlands Sports Complex. The guys used to kid and tell us kids to throw a rock in the swamp. It did not even splash. The local joke was that that area had the largest petroleum in the world.

I do believe that has all been cleaned up for the most part. Except for that horrible NJ Giants football team.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Something else no one mentioned yet. EMFs. Electro Magnetic Fields. I know all those homes very well. I and 5 others worked on every single one of those homes in all of the Vistas along 215 and some interior tracts.

Way back when they were going up the builders offered 15% discounts to the tradesman who worked on them. No matter.....from carpenters to roofers to clean up people. Everyone was offered 15% off to buy a home.

Lets see......Right along 215 was Pulte, Kimble Hill and KB on the end. Against my better judgement and against what I preach, we looked at a KB home because of the awesome view and price. Being in the business I know how cheap and crappy a KB home is but the price was tempting. While standing on the balcony at night (I had the keys to all the vacant homes) we stood and listened to the distinct hum of those wires. It was a deafening ugly sound.

Combine that with the sound of the traffic on 215 and we just looked at eachother and shook our heads NO. We did wonder what the future held for an increase in that stretch of 215 too. What was it like back in 2002 or so? That part 215 was empty. Now it is being widened. If this city ever has another boom that area will be like I-15 which comes to a complete stand still from 3 to 6 every single night and 6:30 to 8:30 every morning. NO movement for 3 hour stretches. Not to mention the crash up derbys.

I recomend against that purchase. There are many affordable homes with that same view. And without the cancer causing EMFs. It is a fact and there is precedence where lawsuits have been won by farmers against power companies because they prooved the cows who grazed under those wires lost the ability to get pregnant and stopped giving milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: