Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Do teachers in Clark County make too much? The entry level compensation package is worth $49,607/yr, or, $37.53/hr, as defined by CCSD: Licensed Employee Salary Schedule (2004-2005) (http://ccsd.net/jobs/LLPsalary.htm - broken link) Please tell me what other entry level job in LV pays $37.53/hr.
I use to work at a school district in CA. 72% of the budget went to salaries and the rest to the students. Its probably more off balance now that costs are getting worse. Support staff also make a lot because of the unions. Not to mention the cost of bennys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I use to work at a school district in CA. 72% of the budget went to salaries and the rest to the students. Its probably more off balance now that costs are getting worse. Support staff also make a lot because of the unions. Not to mention the cost of bennys.

Operating budgets don't just cover salaries, they cover lights, water, heating, cooling, transportation costs, free and reduced lunch, maintenance, technology, office supplies, etc.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Operating budgets don't just cover salaries, they cover lights, water, heating, cooling, transportation costs, free and reduced lunch, maintenance, technology, office supplies, etc.
Ok, well then its less to the students. That's why the schools in CA are terrible, even tough they pay way more in property taxes. The only districts that do pretty good are those in affluent or mainly asian commnities.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
If you think that the few hours a week that children actually spend in the classroom are enough to cover all the information they need to be competitive in today's world, than you are sorely mistaken. Homework is a MUST to follow up with the lessons taught and to re-enforce the information.

Maybe if more PARENTS did their jobs at home instead of blaming everything on the TEACHERS our children would have a better chance of competing in a global market place. How many parents do you know that continue to instruct their child over the summer? How many parents make sure their child reads and does math over the summer? I am both a parent and a teacher and let me tell you my children do academics Monday thru Friday in the summer....not a lot...just enough to keep them fresh for the following school year.

With all the crap that NCLB has laid at our feet, it is virtually impossible to spend time reviewing what was taught the previous year...there is NO TIME. So, for the children that go home and play video games all Summer there is no way they will retain what they learned the prior year so by the time they get their act together the next school year 2 marking periods have come and gone.

Also, to compare educators to auto workers is ludicrous!!! How many autoworkers do you know with a college education?? And MOST educators have Master's Degrees. How about comparing apples to apples!!!!

BTW I spend my "free time" coming up with meaningful lessons for my students so that I can reach each individuals different learning style. If you think all we do is stand in front of a classroom and lecture than you are an idiot. Do you even know all the different learning styles we need to meet with our lesson plans? Do you even know what creating a successful learning enviornment in a classroom entails? I really don't understand the hostility towards educators...we are blamed for poorly performing students and yet we are so crippled by NCLB that we can't do anything to help the same students we are being blamed for hurting.

It must be nice to sit in your warm cozy livingroom and knock us teachers when you don't even have the guts to enter the trenches and deal with what we do on a daily basis.

To give an analogy that my husband likes to use... NCLB would be like telling the firefighters that they had to treat ALL the fire hydrants equally...that means that if there is a fire at Charleston and Decatur but the fire hydrant there was already used that month than you would have to find a fire hydrant that wasn't used that month no matter how far away because you can't allow one fire hydrant to receive more attention or be a higher acheiver than another because that would not be "equal" treatment. So it doesn't matter if the building will be left to burn out from inattention, we can't show preferential treatment to those fire hydrants.

NCLB lumps ALL kids together, regardless of learning ability, which has led to the "dumbing down" theory of education.

So, while heaping more and more responsibility onto our shoulders you want to take more and more away from us. I don't know to many people who would work for long in a situation like that....THUS the teacher shortage.
YIKES !!!
I dont even know where to begin to respond. What we all are sick of are teachers whining. I never heard any other group of trades people or business people or any group consistantly whine whine whine like Teachers do. Why? Do you have any idea how underpaid Carpenters are? Electricians? Mecanics? Dish Washers? Waiters? and on and on and on. Why is it always Teachers doing the whining? We all get paid crap. All of us non union or non Govt workers.

There is a big difference though. No other worker gets the benifits Teachers get except other govt and union workers. And I dont know a human who walks the earth who would not kill for a Teachers hours.

Now to stick up for you. It is not your or any Teachers fault that kids are not learning today. If the school system would teach something of value then maybe just maybe the kids would hold an interest. Most all schools took away shop class, music class, home economics class, gym class and more. And in place of it they add more algebra. Now there is something more valuble then a toilet full of waste. Strong mind is a strong body. The only exercise kids get today is with their 10 fingers working the joy stick. Not so in our time. It's sad. Ever stop at a light next to a school and look at the kids? 85% of them are overweight. 40% are grossly overweight and they ain't even 15 yet.

I dont blame you. Teachers have to teach what the big bad arm of the state mandates. And it's despicable. Im sure glad Im not in the school system today. What a factory of dumb they are.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
YIKES !!!
I dont even know where to begin to respond. What we all are sick of are teachers whining. I never heard any other group of trades people or business people or any group consistantly whine whine whine like Teachers do. Why? Do you have any idea how underpaid Carpenters are? Electricians? Mecanics? Dish Washers? Waiters? and on and on and on. Why is it always Teachers doing the whining? We all get paid crap. All of us non union or non Govt workers.

There is a big difference though. No other worker gets the benifits Teachers get except other govt and union workers. And I dont know a human who walks the earth who would not kill for a Teachers hours.

Now to stick up for you. It is not your or any Teachers fault that kids are not learning today. If the school system would teach something of value then maybe just maybe the kids would hold an interest. Most all schools took away shop class, music class, home economics class, gym class and more. And in place of it they add more algebra. Now there is something more valuble then a toilet full of waste. Strong mind is a strong body. The only exercise kids get today is with their 10 fingers working the joy stick. Not so in our time. It's sad. Ever stop at a light next to a school and look at the kids? 85% of them are overweight. 40% are grossly overweight and they ain't even 15 yet.

I dont blame you. Teachers have to teach what the big bad arm of the state mandates. And it's despicable. Im sure glad Im not in the school system today. What a factory of dumb they are.
You can blame that on how society looks at safety for their kids. No one wants to let their kids out and be kids and play. Its all about the internet, playstation and myspace. I remember being 15 and we use to stay out until the sun went down playing basketball, baseball..etc..

Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
You can blame that on how society looks at safety for their kids. No one wants to let their kids out and be kids and play. Its all about the internet, playstation and myspace. I remember being 15 and we use to stay out until the sun went down playing basketball, baseball..etc..
I have to disagree....somewhat... I think it has more to do with how expensive our society has become which means that both parents have to work just to make ends meet and leave their kids home alone with the tv for a babysitter.

I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to be home when my kids are home for the most part. I have strict rules about when I am not home, no one comes in and no one goes out as well as no pool. However, our evenings during the school year are spent with our children at their various sporting events and during the summer they are on a swim team as well as attending several soccer camps.

I also think it has a lot to do with the cutting back and/or elimination of PE from a lot of schools. And don't even get me started on the way the media markets junk food to kids as being "good for you".

I also think it has a lot to do with our lifestyles today, a lot of fast food because we are always in a hurry. I remember as a kid we only had McDonalds when we were traveling. I have to admit that during the height of soccer season my kids can have fast food sometimes as much as 3 times a week (I hate it, but it's so convenient sometimes)

So, while fear may play a factor, I think it has more to do with the general laziness of our culture as a whole.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
YIKES !!!

While I don't agree 100% with you, I do apologize for going a little overboard. It IS frustrating being a teacher today. and I am NOT whining about the pay, I am, I guess for lack of a better word, whining about the constraints the government has put on us that does not allow us to do our jobs. I don't know any other profession that is so dictated to by the government. Sometimes I feel like teachers shouldn't even have to go to college because the government obviously doesn't trust the value of their degree, they are going to cram their teaching methods down our throats anyway.

If a lawyer has a law degree you expect them do know what they are doing, same with a physician, engineer etc. so why can't those of us with a degree in education be allowed to do our jobs also?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree....somewhat... I think it has more to do with how expensive our society has become which means that both parents have to work just to make ends meet and leave their kids home alone with the tv for a babysitter.

I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to be home when my kids are home for the most part. I have strict rules about when I am not home, no one comes in and no one goes out as well as no pool. However, our evenings during the school year are spent with our children at their various sporting events and during the summer they are on a swim team as well as attending several soccer camps.

I also think it has a lot to do with the cutting back and/or elimination of PE from a lot of schools. And don't even get me started on the way the media markets junk food to kids as being "good for you".

I also think it has a lot to do with our lifestyles today, a lot of fast food because we are always in a hurry. I remember as a kid we only had McDonalds when we were traveling. I have to admit that during the height of soccer season my kids can have fast food sometimes as much as 3 times a week (I hate it, but it's so convenient sometimes)

So, while fear may play a factor, I think it has more to do with the general laziness of our culture as a whole.
I agree and disagree somewhat also. I think a family can make it on 1 salary and 1 parent can stay home or work only part time. You have to cut down on the luxuries, but it can be done. The upside is spending more time with the kids and having a parent home more to keep them supervised and not let the internet, babysitter and playstation raise them. As a kid growing up in a single mom situation, my mom didn't make a lot of money, so I had to work a paper route, wash cars and mow lawns so I can buy my sports gear. Orgainzed sports were out of reach, but all the kids in the neighborhood got together and we would have our own tournaments. We played Basketball mostly, and sometimes Baseball. The Hispanic kids played soccer and the Indian kids played Cricket. We didn't even have time to watch TV or play Atari just did homework before I went to be. I love the 80s!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:08 PM

207 posts, read 907,387 times
I still don't see any of you cowards putting up your work histories and all your benefits. And yes, you are cowards. You anonymously want to take money out of other people's pockets because you don't agree with the amount they make, what a bunch of sick people you must be. With even tougher times coming you want for those who have the same financial struggles you face to suffer even more with pay cuts and loss of benefits. What a bunch of sad pricks.

You don't agree with the teacher's union, yet back up your argument with tales from other powerful unions. You are a bunch on contradictory blowhards that want your kids taught by factory line workers instead of professionally trained teachers, want every family to be single breadwinner nuclear units, and think teachers are the only ones who ever complained about their salaries.

I hope you guys subscribe to some of your ridiculous theories. Of all the overpaid professions out there, you attack teachers and have no bones trying to reach into their pockets. Standby for more instructions from Jon Ralston. He's got plenty more idiotic ideas to pump in to you mind.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Cool down folks it is an interesting discussion.

According to the Surgeon General...

In 1999, 13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of adolescents aged 12 to 19 years in the United States were overweight. This prevalence has nearly tripled for adolescents in the past 2 decades.

It may have moved up a point or so but basically 80% of the children are not overweight. One should however be concerned that something approaching 20% are overweight.

Second one must force teachers into a very tightly controlled curriculum in at least the bottom half schools. The reason is that the student body is highly transient. If the various classrooms of the same grade are not in lock step a kid who moves is in trouble. If moving is a very high percentage you really have to lock step the classes. Adv. Placement and high socio-economic schools may be able to find other ways. But at the bottom they need to be locked.

Maybe we need two levels of teachers. Lead and instructors. Instructors follow the book. Leads are allowed deviation. Instructors might well be Associate Degree holders and a few work under a lead.

But we really do need lock step at the bottom...if we wish to reach those kids. Maybe the good students can rise out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas