Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For the class of 2014, Clark High School had the highest number of semifinalists in Nevada — 14. It tied the Davidson Academy of Nevada, a Reno public school for profoundly gifted middle and high school students.
Clark High School bristles with National Merit semifinalists | Las Vegas Review-Journal

The first thing some are going to do is point out that it's not as good as such-n-such school at this-or-that place. Given the demographic for the non magnet students at Clark, this is amazing.

By the way, Davidson Academy only has 140 students for middle and high school. I don't know what percent are seniors, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,154,287 times
this is good to hear.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,003,206 times
The first thing I will say is why don't we have something like a Davidson Academy in Las Vegas? No profoundly gifted kids? Or no interest in supporting them?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Gifted kids are supported here without a stand alone academy. We do not know if the students at Davidson are getting a superior education. All we know is that they vet out any student that is not have an IQ in the top 0.1%. These same students would have been NMF regardless of whether they are in a stand alone academy or went to Clark instead.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM

I'm sure the profoundly gifted kids are just happy as clams at CCSD -- waiting for everyone else to catch up. And waiting. And waiting.

Saying we support these kids and actually supporting them are two different things.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:42 PM

I'm not going to keep doing this with you. You have your myopic view of what is available at CCSD and paint everything with same brush. There are some very gifted kids that get involved in some excellent programs with gifted teachers. This is not, yet, another thread for you make up crap to besmirch every student and teacher in the CCSD. It's a thread celebrating the achievement at Clark High School.

If want a thread where you can be as negative as possible, go start one. If you can't be happy for this achievement, go elsewhere.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 PM

I'm not "making up" anything. I think it's a legitimate question -- why does Reno have a gifted academy when it is 1/10th the population of Clark County?

Perhaps the better question is, "Why DOESN'T Clark have a gifted academy when it is 10 times the size of Reno?" Probably for the same reason that Reno has the medical college and UNLV doesn't.

I never said I wasn't happy for the NMF finalists. The fact that Clark has three magnet programs to draw from certainly led to their achievement. And this jibes with what I've been saying for years -- put all the good eggs in one basket. We need better programs for the profoundly gifted -- this has always been my position. Do you disagree?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 PM

No, this is another attempt for you cast a negative light on something positive.

If you want to have a discussion about an exclusive academy, start a thread about it.

This is about the achievement at Clark.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM

550 posts, read 638,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The first thing I will say is why don't we have something like a Davidson Academy in Las Vegas? No profoundly gifted kids? Or no interest in supporting them?
Very valid questions, Scoop. In fact, families from around the country, move their entire family to the Reno area, if they cannot secure the same educational opportunities for their gifted child, in their own home town. And if you have a gifted child down here in Southern Nevada, you have to move your kid, home and work to Reno? I'm not sure that is doable for many families. Davidson Academy is on the campus of UNR, I believe. Not sure why we couldn't do the same on the campus of UNLV or even CSN.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,693 times
Actually that is good / great news for Clark. My congrats to them!

National Merit Scholar semifinalist / finalist / and scholars is a quite the feather...but it is a only a snapshot based off of junior PSATs. And I say that married to a NMS finalist...but it got her a full ride through undergrad.

As for why UNR has a medical school and UNLV doesn't? Really? The center of gravity with Nevada State Government is in a little city to the south of Reno. So Reno receives the benefits...and I am NOT talking just higher education, but state government in general. Headquarters, department heads, etc are located near the capital. And although UNLV has very recently become the larger school, UNR has about an 80 year start building its schools and capital expenditures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas