Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 PM

22 posts, read 60,548 times

Advertisements

Wow! Thanks ndb3. My offer was low indeed . A sign-on bonus was not even mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,930,688 times
You have to ask for these things. They won't just hand them to you.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:03 PM

207 posts, read 908,321 times
No one else has mentioned it yet but considering you won't pay social security tax because they are a PERS retirement plan participant, that's like a 7% raise. I live on a few K higher than you do in a 1 bed/bath place and I'm not hurting at all.

If the county is anything like working for the city, you'll get great benefits, steady raises including cost of living adjustments, and pretty much a job for life. I wouldn't scoff at $39k right now given our current economy nor the fact that if you stay with the county that is the least you'll ever make and it will go up every year.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:19 PM

250 posts, read 1,113,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recentgrad08 View Post
Wow! Thanks ndb3. My offer was low indeed . A sign-on bonus was not even mentioned.
No prob... I don't know much about working for the school district, so the sign on bonus might not be something they do, but if you decide to work at a SNF or hospital, then you should ask for a minimum of $5K...

This is the ranking for pay in my wifes experience starting with the most pay and going down.

Home Health Care
Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF's)
Hospitals
Private Practices

Not 100% sure on where the schools fall, but it would be toward the bottom, probably in-line with the private practices. And I'm sure the School districts have great benefits. Hospitals are also known for having good benefits. I feel that the increase in pay for SNF's compared to what she was offered at a hospital, more than outweighed the difference in benefits.

Of course I'm sure there are some exceptions, however this has been the experience from my wife looking for jobs. I'm not sure how much demand varies between Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy. But my wife has been able to pretty much name her price. She has only been working for 5 yrs. but also has her Masters and is able to bring in 6 figures working at a SNF and doing Home Care on the side.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
You have to ask for these things. They won't just hand them to you.
I know. I don't expect them to be handed to me. When I was interviewed, I was told to name the things that were important to me and among them was a sign-on bonus. I also mentioned that I had been offered one for each of the other jobs I had applied for. We discussed the compensation in some detail and I was told what they had online was their max for new hires. I appreciate the advice though. I fully admit to being a newbie in the negotiations arena. In previous college jobs "benefits" consisted of free lunch or a discounted parking space .

Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
No one else has mentioned it yet but considering you won't pay social security tax because they are a PERS retirement plan participant, that's like a 7% raise. I live on a few K higher than you do in a 1 bed/bath place and I'm not hurting at all.

If the county is anything like working for the city, you'll get great benefits, steady raises including cost of living adjustments, and pretty much a job for life. I wouldn't scoff at $39k right now given our current economy nor the fact that if you stay with the county that is the least you'll ever make and it will go up every year.
I don't have a problem with the number if it is a livable wage, I just didn't want to be panhandling by Christmas. As I said I am a beginner and I don't have much to compare things to. I was just concerned b/c in some places in my area that salary is just above the level for income controlled housing. I don't expect to start out rich or ever become rich, it was just that this offer was much different from the others and Las Vegas didn't come off to me as an inexpensive place to live. At least I feel comfortable that I can probably make it. It is always good to hear it from someone in the same income bracket.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Go for it. It is safe and sane and regular and a good career path if it works for you...

On the other hand if it is duty you don't like you finish your probation...get it all in line and then off into different direction. Happens all the time.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,269,547 times
I don't think they are doing sign on bonuses this year. There was a letter going around saying that teachers were going to have to start paying 30 dollars a month for their insurance. Money is tight in the school district and it won't be getting better soon. I would find our who your speech services coordinator is and see if there are any opportunities to provide therapy for homebound or kids getting compensatory speech services. Extra duty pay helps out a lot.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I don't think they are doing sign on bonuses this year. There was a letter going around saying that teachers were going to have to start paying 30 dollars a month for their insurance. Money is tight in the school district and it won't be getting better soon. I would find our who your speech services coordinator is and see if there are any opportunities to provide therapy for homebound or kids getting compensatory speech services. Extra duty pay helps out a lot.
I will definitely check this out.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM

307 posts, read 1,224,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Also make sure you ask for a sign-on bonus, you should at least be able to get $5-10k...
Ha Ha Ha $5- $10K??? in your dream! They usually offer less than $5K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas