Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,100,228 times

Advertisements

ReviewJournal.com - News - DOWNTOWN CRACKDOWN

I read this in the LVRJ today. I am not from Las Vegas but have been visiting recently in hopes of a move to the area (Laughlin) -- From everything I've read, it sounds like the police of LV are pretty much the iron-fisted Gestapo. I recall a cop on this forum bragging about the many people he has ticketed for having out of state tags and then not even knowing that students were exempt from it.

In Cincinnati, there's a pretty big interest in police -- much leading to race riots and the like. Is there bad blood in LV as far as the Gestapo are concerned? Am I off-base in my assessment?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,014,708 times
yes you are off-base.. way off-base

Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,100,228 times
I don't want to be on your case, but I would think it would be necessary to support your idea with evidence of some sort -- maybe an overall rationale of how the community feels about their police department, general riffs, etc. Unless of course, you're the police officer I mentioned LOL

Seriously though -- I've never, in all my travels (my fiancee is also a public defender) heard of police violating the rights so crudely of others as in today's newspaper -- and you say that this is off-base? There's no riff between the police department and its community? I find that very hard to believe.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM

72 posts, read 353,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I don't want to be on your case, but I would think it would be necessary to support your idea with evidence of some sort -- maybe an overall rationale of how the community feels about their police department, general riffs, etc. Unless of course, you're the police officer I mentioned LOL

Seriously though -- I've never, in all my travels (my fiancee is also a public defender) heard of police violating the rights so crudely of others as in today's newspaper -- and you say that this is off-base? There's no riff between the police department and its community? I find that very hard to believe.
You have never heard of New York City? Hard to believe. They developed the technique.

Metro tends to be a hard nosed police force as it must be to remain in control of the monster that is Las Vegas...

But issues like the crackdown in Downtown are political not police policy.

And, as NYC has well demonstrated, their is considerable value in creating a tightly regulated community with respect to minor crime.

YMMV

Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,717,561 times
As for people moving here from out of state and not going to the DMV and getting a NV license, plates and insurance really offends me. I see people that have lived in some neighborhoods that still have their CA,UT,AZ..etc. plates and they have obviously live and work here for months. I have to pay the taxes and fees here, then I hope everyone will do the same. If you get a ticket, well that is your fault.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,014,708 times
believe it or not, i called the dmv on friday, told them i was going to be a seasonal resident this year (june 26 - oct 1) and they told me to drive on my ohio plates and get a nevada seasonal id..

Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,988 times
Call me crazy, but the article you cite reads like great PR for Vegas. The city needs to let it be known that they are cracking down on crime and looking to get rid of the growing perception that Las Vegas is not a safe place. Tourists don't want to visit un-safe cities, and tourism is the one and only industry in Las Vegas.

Besides, anytime a lawyer for the ACLU is the source for the story, be very skeptical.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,335,023 times
Since Amir "Trajic", LVMPD has had the "green light". Late at night, I have been stopped twice, and interrogated, no doubt, with the hope of finding SOME offense. Both times, the reason I was given for the stop was "we are looking for a car that matches your car's description". Do I feel my rights were violated---of course. My auto, and paperwork is always in order, and it was much easier to bite my tongue, be interrogated, and drive off.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,335,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
ReviewJournal.com - News - DOWNTOWN CRACKDOWN

I read this in the LVRJ today. I am not from Las Vegas but have been visiting recently in hopes of a move to the area (Laughlin) -- From everything I've read, it sounds like the police of LV are pretty much the iron-fisted Gestapo. I recall a cop on this forum bragging about the many people he has ticketed for having out of state tags and then not even knowing that students were exempt from it.

In Cincinnati, there's a pretty big interest in police -- much leading to race riots and the like. Is there bad blood in LV as far as the Gestapo are concerned? Am I off-base in my assessment?
Plain and simple, a reason to roust. Justification to profile. Who is more likely to get stopped for jaywalking downtown---a black male in athletic gear, or a white male in a suit carrying a briefcase?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM

359 posts, read 1,408,431 times
since its on topic, whats gestapo ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas