Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the closure of non-essential businesses in Las Vegas for COVID-19?
Yes 35 60.34%
No 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 07:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,429,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Didn't I predict the left making such statements weeks ago?

See, there's no losing in your mind. If you don't do the lockdown millions will die. If you do the lockdown and numbers are too high you excuse it by saying the lockdown was too late. When the lockdowns don't jive with the model projections, you revise the models.

Get over it. Your models were wrong. Your projections were wrong. You failed to confirm your hypothesis and the conservatives were right all along.

Your party and governor are singularly responsible for fomenting a mass hysteria and making disastrous decisions that will lead this country into another great depression.

Believe you me, many of us aren't going to forget this.
Sad. You have obviously lost your mind. First off you come up with all this garbage about needing control groups in situations where they would be criminally stupid. And now the obvious screw ups by Trump et al are the fault of the Nevada Governor.

And, though you do not seem able to realize it, the models involved are principally those of the Trump administration. I see little doubt that the shut down by Sisolak was correct or even a little late. And in general it simply recognized that which was bound to occur. There is simply no way the Strip could function in the face of the national covid19 pandemic. And the extension to local businesses simply extended the protection to locals as well as visitors.

And I hope they do well in determining when to stop the shut down. I am actually with EA and wish it could go away instantly. But I am reasonably knowledgeable of the statistics involved and I do believe that a premature termination of the shutdown will simple cause a recurrence in a month or two. We do not need that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 07:22 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,068,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sad. You have obviously lost your mind. First off you come up with all this garbage about needing control groups in situations where they would be criminally stupid. And now the obvious screw ups by Trump et al are the fault of the Nevada Governor.

And, though you do not seem able to realize it, the models involved are principally those of the Trump administration. I see little doubt that the shut down by Sisolak was correct or even a little late. And in general it simply recognized that which was bound to occur. There is simply no way the Strip could function in the face of the national covid19 pandemic. And the extension to local businesses simply extended the protection to locals as well as visitors.

And I hope they do well in determining when to stop the shut down. I am actually with EA and wish it could go away instantly. But I am reasonably knowledgeable of the statistics involved and I do believe that a premature termination of the shutdown will simple cause a recurrence in a month or two. We do not need that..
Great job leading off with more ad-hominem attacks.

The Trump administration has absolutely nothing to do with the shutdowns. Every single decision to shutdown was made by a State Governor, with Progressive Democrats leading the way.

The strategy is perfect because the Trump Admin can't be blamed for the Progressive shutdowns. Democrats made those decisions unilaterally and now they will pay the price. I'm not sure if you've noticed Trump's political strategy, yet, but it's always to bait you guys into stepping directly into your own pile of dog**** and you walked right into it again this time just like you always do.

Even in the face of complete and utter failure to lead the American public your party still refuses to admit they've done anything wrong. Did you watch the news tonight? Cuomo was backpedaling hardcore tonight.

There is guaranteed to be a resurgence around September when flu season starts again. This thing is endemic now. What we don't need is panicky knee-jerk shutdowns that destroy the US economy as fomented by Progressive Democrats nationwide.

Your party is going to own this one. You'll find out how quickly Progressives will turn against each other when 1/3 of the working age population remains jobless. BTW: That's not my projection, that's the Fed's projection.

Like I said before.... I'll just step back and watch you Liberals eat each other alive now. Popcorn time!

Old 04-11-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Great job leading off with more ad-hominem attacks.

The Trump administration has absolutely nothing to do with the shutdowns. Every single decision to shutdown was made by a State Governor, with Progressive Democrats leading the way.

The strategy is perfect because the Trump Admin can't be blamed for the Progressive shutdowns. Democrats made those decisions unilaterally and now they will pay the price. I'm not sure if you've noticed Trump's political strategy, yet, but it's always to bait you guys into stepping directly into your own pile of dog**** and you walked right into it again this time just like you always do.

Even in the face of complete and utter failure to lead the American public your party still refuses to admit they've done anything wrong. Did you watch the news tonight? Cuomo was backpedaling hardcore tonight.

There is guaranteed to be a resurgence around September when flu season starts again. This thing is endemic now. What we don't need is panicky knee-jerk shutdowns that destroy the US economy as fomented by Progressive Democrats nationwide.

Your party is going to own this one. You'll find out how quickly Progressives will turn against each other when 1/3 of the working age population remains jobless. BTW: That's not my projection, that's the Fed's projection.

Like I said before.... I'll just step back and watch you Liberals eat each other alive now. Popcorn time!
No way ad hominem. Simply a judgement on the obvious absurd intellectual content of your post.

There are Republican Governors as well. Check Hogan in Maryland if you wish.

And one of the earlier calls for a shutdown came from Fauci. Guess who he works for.

Sisolak and others did the right thing and I think there is a very good chance that the Virus will doom Trump. Too high a price to pay but some good news anyway.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,150,714 times
Science

Um, so, like, we did this thing and something happened, therefore that thing made that thing happen. Yup. Totally.
This is how science works.

Oh, wait, that's how logical fallacies work.

Science works like this.

"We have an event happening. So we tried 5 different things in different areas and compared results.
In one other group we did nothing. Results are inconclusive at best."

To affirmatively say "Social distancing works" you have to be able to actually prove that.
To do that, you have to compare it to groups that did not social distance.
You have to prove that social distancing was actually done AND to what degree.
You have to be able to rule out other factors.

You can't make a claim and then say it's true because reasons.

By your logic "Humans drink water. All humans die. Therefore water kills humans."

Old 04-11-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
No way ad hominem. Simply a judgement on the obvious absurd intellectual content of your post.

There are Republican Governors as well. Check Hogan in Maryland if you wish.

And one of the earlier calls for a shutdown came from Fauci. Guess who he works for.

Sisolak and others did the right thing and I think there is a very good chance that the Virus will doom Trump. Too high a price to pay but some good news anyway.
Any governor in Maryland is almost certainly a RINO. Where do you think I lived for 18 years?

People don't seem to realize this, but Maryland is literally the California of the East.

Even the CDC stated early on that they were not expecting the full scale shutdowns that took place. They expected recommended quarantines of vulnerable populations and maybe closures of large events and gatherings.

Fauci has been working at NIAID since 1984 during the Regan administration. He's hardly a Trump selection. It's widely known that both Medical and Teaching professions are highly Liberal.

This whole virus thing has basically sealed the deal on Trump's reelection. The Dems are now scrambling to replace Biden, knowing full well his comments have sunk any hope of a successful election campaign.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:11 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,296,406 times
He's frothing at the mouth mad. LOL!

Is Sisolak a progressive? I don't see anything in his policies that would suggest he is. He seems like a standard neoliberal to me. Lots of neoliberals like to claim they're Progressives when they're clearly not. Like Copmala Harris said she was a progressive but endorsed Biden. Biden isn't progressive.

Biden campaigned for Republican Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan. Bernie never did that. People like to claim Bernie wasn't even a democrat, but he was a social democrat and more of a centrist democrat than these neoliberal Republican-light Democrats that claim they're centrists, like Obama was.

Obama kneecapped the Progressives more than once. Most recently when he pulled strings to have the presidential candidates coallace around Biden like Mayor Pete, Amy Klobuchar, Kamala Harris, Beto and supposed progressive Tusli Gabbard all giving Biden their endorsement.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:19 PM

I'd love to see a comment from a Liberal on this board that doesn't lead off with an ad-hominem attack.

I also noticed that despite the issue being raised multiple times on multiple threads, not one Liberal has stepped forward with an explanation as to why similar shutdowns we're not warranted during the 2017 flu season and Swine Flu in 2009 while infection and mortality rates for those events were substantially higher than Covid-19.

The Liberals, I have noticed, keep avoiding answering this question.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:23 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,150,714 times
Quote:
I'd love to see a comment from a Liberal on this board that doesn't lead off with an ad-hominem attack.

I also noticed that despite the issue being raised multiple times on multiple threads, not one Liberal has stepped forward with an explanation as to why similar shutdowns we're not warranted during the 2017 flu season and Swine Flu in 2009 while infection and mortality rates for those events were substantially higher than Covid-19.

The Liberals, I have noticed, keep avoiding answering this question.

Simple, the news didn't tell them to lock it down so they didn't. Now the news is telling them that covid is like the ebola of lungs and is gonna kill us all even though less than .1% of people have died and most of them were old and sick.

Imagine being scared of a 99.9% survival rate.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:30 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,066,000 times
I know absolutely nothing about epidemiology, so I have stayed out of all the debates on here about it. I found this quote, and am wondering it is true?

Quote:
Will our economy ever be the same again? At this moment, we are still in the midst of the most comprehensive nationwide shutdown in American history, and nobody knows when it will finally end. The primary reason why governors all over the country issued “shelter-in-place” orders was because they wanted to “flatten the curve”, and this was done to keep millions of people from getting the virus all at once so that our hospitals would not be completely overwhelmed. But these “shelter-in-place” orders are not going to completely end this pandemic. In order to do that, a complete and total national “lockdown” would be needed, and that is not going to happen. So the coronavirus is going to keep cycling through our population for an extended period of time until we get to the point where the vast majority of the population has built up immunity and the pandemic naturally burns itself out. So in the end, the total number of people that will catch this virus will be about the same whether the “shelter-in-place” orders were issued or not. But if the number of cases at any one time isn’t enough to overwhelm our medical resources, the overall death toll could potentially be less than it otherwise would have been. In other words, these “shelter-in-place orders” are likely saving lives, but they are also killing the economy.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Simple, the news didn't tell them to lock it down so they didn't. Now the news is telling them that covid is like the ebola of lungs and is gonna kill us all even though less than .1% of people have died and most of them were old and sick.

Imagine being scared of a 99.9% survival rate.
Uhh no. There is no significant risk it will kill us all. The issue is how to get it far enough under control that we can go back to business as normal.

And we should also fix the lack of the capability to vend off a pandemic. We should have had a solution in hand to masks, gloves, gowns and ventilators. And a strategy to double or triple the number of beds if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas