Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the closure of non-essential businesses in Las Vegas for COVID-19?
Yes 35 60.34%
No 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 07:58 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,068,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
"The whole argument was that ICUs everywhere were going to be overflowing leading to excessive loss of life, but this hasn't happened."

Did you think the whole "stay at home" and "social distancing" thing was going to have no effect at all?

If you don't think that "social distancing" is the reason for the "lack of business" at ICUs, please state your scientific fact-based and researched alternative with references. The CDC would love to have it. Because right now - the "lock down" is all they got.
And if ya ask them: "Why wasn't it so bad after all?" They don't say, "I dunno." They say, "Lockdown, stupid."
So your only real play here is to call them liars.

It might feel good to do so - but all it's gonna get ya in the long run is weird looks from other people.
I can throw the ball right back in your court. Where is the fact based analysis that social distancing is working? Where is the evidence that people are actually following the order?

While it definitely is anecdotal, a drive around town doesn't show me that much if any social distancing is going on. In fact, every person I have spoken with in person thinks this lockdown is BS and unwarranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post
I have a friend that works at Sunrise. She said the only part of hospitals that are busy right now are ICU's. The ICU's aren't at capacity (yet). Everything else in the hospitals is pretty much shut down. Lots of nurses and staff in those non-busy departments are being let go as well.

I'm also hearing today from online sources that putting people on vents is causing more harm than good. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement, though I find it very interesting.
There was a YouTube vid by a doctor out of NYC who was saying that in some cases, he believes the ventilator is actually contributing to death. We don't know anything about this "doctor" though so grain of salt applies.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I have a friend that works at Sunrise as well. I agree with pretty much everything you said above.
The prognosis of anyone who goes on a ventilator is horrific...I think 20% survival rate or less is what
I read. The longer you are on it, the worse your odds get of a positive outcome.

At the very least, all medical facilities should be reopened for business with safeguards in
place for medical personnel. Figure out how to separate COVID from non COVID and get the
regular surgeries and treatments back onlline.
I thought they were supposed to have negative pressure areas of the ICUs specifically for quarantined patients?

I agree with you, other medical services should be reopened.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:10 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,907,486 times
Well, I don't need to prove my case is working, personally - the "stay at home" case - because the reduced "curve" in deaths and infections (to whatever degree you trust that testing) in many - many - states - coinciding with their "lock down" is well-documented. It's painfully obvious - to anyone that wants to look at it.

Here's what ya do: Go to the wiki page for a few of the lockdown states, say, Ohio, then do the same for new york. Or italy or spain, where the lockdown was late.

Then on the wiki sight - they show you the day to day to day one at a time dead person per day - got it?

Make a spreadsheet. Show the days. Plot the numbers. Look at the curve. Use the functions in the spreadsheet to calculate the gain and other factors of the curve. And then EFFING NOTICE THAT THE LOCKDOWN STATES HAVE A MUCH SLOWER CURVE.

Did you do this? No? Then please stop making a bad situation worse by spewing nonsense with zero ammo.

I'm sorry if wherever you live doesn't show any signs of following "stay at home", but here are a few around me:
1. Our local universities are closed. That's thirty thousand people right there not as close as they would be.
2. All our restaurants are closed - including before St. Patrick's day. That is countless thousands not as close as they would be.
3. Same with schools...
4. And Shopping Malls...
5. And the gym...

Do I need to go on? PROOF that people are social distancing? No matter how blatantly you want to violate it - you yourself couldn't make a dent on the amount of "stay at home-ing" that is going on right now.

I'm sorry about all of this. I know it sucks. I know people don't "want" to believe it. But it's happening. Accept it and move on.

As I said - if you have an alternate theory - I don't need to prove mine, I'm in full agreement with the CDC. They would LOVE to have another theory. ANYTHING AT ALL. If you have a REAL IDEA with DATA - please send it - to THEM, not this forum.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Well, I don't need to prove my case is working, personally - the "stay at home" case - because the reduced "curve" in deaths and infections (to whatever degree you trust that testing) in many - many - states - coinciding with their "lock down" is well-documented. It's painfully obvious - to anyone that wants to look at it.

Here's what ya do: Go to the wiki page for a few of the lockdown states, say, Ohio, then do the same for new york. Or italy or spain, where the lockdown was late.

Then on the wiki sight - they show you the day to day to day one at a time dead person per day - got it?

Make a spreadsheet. Show the days. Plot the numbers. Look at the curve. Use the functions in the spreadsheet to calculate the gain and other factors of the curve. And then EFFING NOTICE THAT THE LOCKDOWN STATES HAVE A MUCH SLOWER CURVE.

Did you do this? No? Then please stop making a bad situation worse by spewing nonsense with zero ammo.

I'm sorry if wherever you live doesn't show any signs of following "stay at home", but here are a few around me:
1. Our local universities are closed. That's thirty thousand people right there not as close as they would be.
2. All our restaurants are closed - including before St. Patrick's day. That is countless thousands not as close as they would be.
3. Same with schools...
4. And Shopping Malls...
5. And the gym...

Do I need to go on? PROOF that people are social distancing? No matter how blatantly you want to violate it - you yourself couldn't make a dent on the amount of "stay at home-ing" that is going on right now.

I'm sorry about all of this. I know it sucks. I know people don't "want" to believe it. But it's happening. Accept it and move on.

As I said - if you have an alternate theory - I don't need to prove mine, I'm in full agreement with the CDC. They would LOVE to have another theory. ANYTHING AT ALL. If you have a REAL IDEA with DATA - please send it - to THEM, not this forum.
We've been over this several times on this board. Not sure where you're located, or why you take such interest in the Vegas board, but we were definitely NOT on lockdown for St. Patty's day.

You cannot declare a positive conclusion while lacking a control group and if we are to accept that the models were being used as the baseline in an uncontrolled study then the test is a spectacular failure because the models have been repeatedly revised downward. The number of new infections and mortalities may well have decreased on its own anyways so charting the current trend in the context of social distancing really proves nothing when lacking a control group.

The fact that infections and mortalities never got anywhere near the projections in any jurisdiction except Wisconsin in fact proves that the social distancing orders were completely unwarranted, not the other way around. Even the locations that were very late to lock down have not met the projections.

What it really shows is that this thing is a much bigger nothingburger than previously projected.

Contrary to what you have stated, at least here in Nevada, there is no evidence that social distancing has slowed the rate of infection. We have data for comparison of before and after lockdown and anyone who has eyes can look at the graph and see that the trend remains unchanged. If social distancing was working as prescribed then I would have expected to see a flattening in the trend for new cases within 2 weeks of the time of the lockdown order and this hasn't happened. New cases continue to increase at pretty much the same rate they always were.

Additionally, I'm not seeing too much "stay-at-homing." I'm seeing people piling into the venues that are open because there is literally nothing else to do. I've never seen more people outside walking around in Las Vegas residential neighborhoods in my entire life. 2 houses adjacent to my own had full-on Easter celebrations and I suspect several others on the block did the same.

Using a little logic here, what would make more sense to you:

A) Closing numerous businesses thereby pushing the local population to congregate at and use the same local facilities in large numbers.

B) Leaving everything open so that less people are present in any one given location at the same time.

I mean seriously... I may not be a Rocket Scientist, but I think even *I* can figure that one out.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:51 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,151,413 times
Son of a *****. Was thinking about taking a trip to Laughlin and eating take out Saltgrass. But NOOOOO they're closed.
I can get crappy unhealthy garbage food like mcdonalds no problem, but not quality tasty food.

END THIS SHUT DOWN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas