Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:33 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,075,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You are correct

I’m in Florida and the governor is a joke. People still shopping. Stores still open. Apparently every type of business is an essential

It’s going to get real bad here
It's basically the same here. Everybody and their brother is out at Wal-Mart, Target, etc because there is nothing else to do. It's been happening for weeks. Where are the huge numbers everyone was predicting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 02:10 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,097,582 times
That has not been my experience. I went grocery shopping today (I go once per week) and crowds were fairly typical.

Driving, I notice traffic to be down a lot.

All my friends and family are 100% staying at home unless they are working (drs, nurses, police, fire, etc.) or getting essentials.

For sure there are plenty of "this is a hoax" types who are still being covidiots, but I don't think it's the majority by any stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
It's basically the same here. Everybody and their brother is out at Wal-Mart, Target, etc because there is nothing else to do. It's been happening for weeks. Where are the huge numbers everyone was predicting?

Old 04-04-2020, 02:23 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,075,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
That has not been my experience. I went grocery shopping today (I go once per week) and crowds were fairly typical.

Driving, I notice traffic to be down a lot.

All my friends and family are 100% staying at home unless they are working (drs, nurses, police, fire, etc.) or getting essentials.

For sure there are plenty of "this is a hoax" types who are still being covidiots, but I don't think it's the majority by any stretch.
That's exactly my point... typical crowds. I don't see most people following social distancing except maybe in line. Parking lots at Walmart and Home Depot are full.

If you buy the line the alarmists have been feeding us then the virus should be spreading like wildfire, there should be lines all the way around the hospitals to get into the ER, there should be a lack of hospital staff and ventilators. Remember, Sisolak says we're already in the middle of a disaster and has requested that declaration from the Federal Government.

The only disaster I see is the one progressives created by shutting down the entire economy.

FWIW I don't think the majority of the "covidiots" think the virus itself is a hoax. They think the government and media's response to it is a hoax.

You know something is up because the libs were already screaming at the top of their lungs that the government response was inadequate about 3 days in to the whole thing which was a lie, travel restrictions were already in place. Doesn't it sound an awful lot like how they were screaming for impeachment before Trump was even sworn into office? Or how about Russian collusion! Russian collusion!

Old 04-04-2020, 03:16 PM

901 posts, read 1,908,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nevada state data indicates we are reaching the peak...deaths per day was increasing earlier in the week and reached 10 deaths per day. It has been decreasing the last few days and the latest day was only 2 deaths. So we appear to be near the peak and should know if it is true next week.

The less good news is that the new patient count still looks flat to increasing. So again we should have a better view next week.

https://app.powerbigov.us/view?r=eyJ...RkMjcwMzk4MCJ9
Deaths are a lagging indicator, so no conclusions can be drawn, at least as far as where we currently are concerning spread.

Like you say, new cases continue to increase, including a rather large jump yesterday. The chart still shows an upward trajectory, so I think we still have a ways to go before reaching peak.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:24 PM

18,057 posts, read 10,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Deaths are a lagging indicator, so no conclusions can be drawn, at least as far as where we currently are concerning spread.

Like you say, new cases continue to increase, including a rather large jump yesterday. The chart still shows an upward trajectory, so I think we still have a ways to go before reaching peak.
Good sized hit yesterday on new cases but directly after a low hit the day before. So basically flat. But I agree it needs to turn over to have really good news.

And we have been playing social distancing and closed venues long enough that it may be having an impact.

The deaths not increasing however shows promise. As I said next week will probably give us a good view where we are.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,097,582 times
Success does not require 100% compliance.

Every social distancing factor contributes to slow the spread. Even with grocery stores being open at their typical level, that doesn't negate that restaurants, bars, and theaters are closed. Sporting and entertainment events cancelled. Schools being out. Each of those reduces the spread by x% at 100% compliance. Even at 50% or 25% compliance it still reduces the spread.

Even with crowds in the stores. I'd estimate around 50% of people were wearing masks when I was grocery shopping today. Stores are sanitizing carts. People are using more hand sanitizer. Smith's was only allowing one person's groceries on the belt at a time and sanitizing the entire belt between customers.

It does not require perfection to work. These things are evaluated on a epidemiological scale, not an individual scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
That's exactly my point... typical crowds. I don't see most people following social distancing except maybe in line. Parking lots at Walmart and Home Depot are full.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:53 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,070,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom4Nevada View Post
This guy was paddle boarding in CALIFORNIA and they chased him down with officers on shore and in a boat to ARREST him. This isn’t about a virus anymore...

Citation here: This is REAL folks...
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/off...at-home-order/

It serves him right for not being a good little slave and being out in public. Who does he think he is thinking he can go out in the ocean by himself which violates social distancing laws Think of all the innocent fish that could now become infected with covid 19 if he does happen to have it!

Old 04-04-2020, 05:01 PM

797 posts, read 868,162 times
So I am not the only person who thinks what is the point of closing ma and pa businesses and having everyone lose their jobs and future plans when we all have to go to crowded grocery stores anyway?

Or even if I stay home, I know my daughter or husband (who works in the grocery distribution business) will pick-up and bring the bug home eventually and I won't wipe down the faucet handle in time to 'slow the spread'?

Realistically, we should quarantine the high-risk groups and let the rest of us deal with the virus.

It's like when West Nile appeared and was all hyped up and we were not supposed to be outside without dousing ourselves in poisonous DEET, wearing full sleeves in the 90 degree sun and yada yada....not gonna happen for the rest of my life. That was when I decided to forget about it and let myself be exposed to it while I was 'young'. Better than trying in vain to avoid it and then dying from it when I am in a higher risk group with advancing age.

Anyway, this whole situation is not adding up for me and many of us think we already had this nasty bug over the winter. In addition to a bout with the normal type of flu for me, but months apart.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:24 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,070,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
So I am not the only person who thinks what is the point of closing ma and pa businesses and having everyone lose their jobs and future plans

The part I quoted is the plan. The big businesses will all get bailed out while the small businesses won't. The big businesses want the small businesses to fail.

Advancing Time: Huge 2,2 Trillion Dollar Bill Fails Most Small Businesses

Old 04-04-2020, 05:36 PM

779 posts, read 478,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
The part I quoted is the plan. The big businesses will all get bailed out while the small businesses won't. The big businesses want the small businesses to fail.

Advancing Time: Huge 2,2 Trillion Dollar Bill Fails Most Small Businesses
That, I won't disagree with at all.

Everyone loves Amazon. And Wal-Mart, etc.

They all suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas