Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,692 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from Chicago to Henderson. I have a newborn daughter. I heard that the schools in Henderson, especially Green Valley, are good. Is this true?

Also, can anyone advise as to the market for attorneys in LV? I saw that Nev. has the 2nd highest bankruptcy rate in the US. I would like to start up my own practice in this area.

Finally, I am a little scared that I will hate the desert climate. I had a friend move from Chicago to LV, hated the hot summers and returned back. I hate the 2.5 hour commute I have every day where I live in the suburbs to downtown and don't think it would bother me as much as my current commute.

Any advice, especially from attorneys or midwest transplants, would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,946,305 times
1. Green Valley has good schools. Also look at the far northwest (Centennial area), and Summerlin (central Summerlin especially has amazing schools; around the Vistas/Crossings/Arbors area).

2. The city is lawyer heaven. Bankruptcy, foreclosure, and medical losses are all hot issues right now.

3. The summers are hot, but for most people, it's easier to get used to a hot climate than it is to get used to a cold climate. The majority of midwestern transplants end up loving the weather. The first year will be a shock, because it's so different, but you get used to it.

You just have to get into a pattern. During the day, you either want to find indoor activities (everything is airconditioned out here, so it's not a problem) or spend your time in the pool. Evenings are cool and the perfect time to be outside. After the sun starts to set, the whole neighborhood comes out. This is the time of day when people walk their dogs, sit out on the patio, etc. Summer evenings are also nice because you can usually find concerts in the park or some sort of event going on.

Falls, winters, and springs are mild. If you miss the snow, you can visit Mount Charleston (about 45 minutes away).

4. Your commute out here will be a breeze compared to Chicago. We rarely have any traffic, except for around the strip.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,249,613 times
There are more attorney's here then there are CARP in lake Mead...They all seem to make some kind of a living......

Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM

46 posts, read 194,832 times
Seriously, your kids a newborn and you are worried about schools? What am I missing here? I am a born and raised native and I tried living in Chicago for about 6 months. Personally, I don't know how anyone stands the friggin cold and snow. Yeah, its hot here in the summer, but at least you don't worry about freezing important body parts off in the winter Lawyers are a dime a dozen here so I would think you would fit right in.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,946,305 times
Actually, it's good to worry about schools now.

Moving is a hassle. It would suck to buy a house without regards to the schools, then have to move in 5 years when it's "time to worry about it".

Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 11,692 times
Default Thank you Radraja

I certainly do not want to have to move again in 4-5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas