Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,731,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
hi guys I am moving to Vegas, my cali drivers licenses was expired 3 months ago, I have a valid international driving permit from Asia as well as license. Can I get NV drivers licenses with either one? do I need to retake the tests again? thanks

According to the NV DMV website, yes Nevada DMV New Resident Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM

371 posts, read 941,894 times
oh jeez so I need to take the written, driving, and vision test....it's been awhile since I took those! need to study up again

any idea how long of wait to schedule the driving test in vegas? how long do I need to wait if I fail either the written test and driving test? can I retake it right away? maybe it will be faster if I just go renew my cali license in cali, and just get a NV DL when I get back.....

I can rent a car with international driving permit but I don't think I can buy car insurance when I am getting a car

I need to rent a car, buy a car, rent an apt, buy a house, FAST!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM

393 posts, read 504,549 times
When I moved to Vegas from California, all I had to take was the vision test. I also took my passport for proof of citizenship.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM

were your cali license expired?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 AM

15 posts, read 45,287 times
You guys have any suggestions on the best office to go to for a Nevada ID in terms of wait time and lines?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,799,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition View Post
You guys have any suggestions on the best office to go to for a Nevada ID in terms of wait time and lines?
If you go to the DMV website, the wait time is listed for every office in real time.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,488,549 times
According to the DMV, in general the shortest wait is when
Offices open (believe @ 8 am) tues-thurs.
Best locations north Las Vegas (elkhorn) & henderson.
Subject to change as indicated on the real time clock
Mentioned in prior post.
I came from Cali but didn't take written test as my DL
Was current.
As I recall however (every transplant takes the written in
Cali) there are some trick questions.
Review the website a few times.

Note that here there are flashing yellow arrows.
This means turn left only if the coast is clear -
Not rush through.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 PM

great thanks a lot for the info

it's been awhile I think I need to study the guide for written test again! or I will fail. also the driving test any tips? probably need to review something or I will fail huh? like parallel parking etc? been a long time since I took those tests lol. however I rarely get any tickets tho.

Anyone know how long is the wait for written and driving test? I mean can you take them on the same day you walk in? or you gotta schedule them? and if you fail how long you gotta wait to take them again? I gonna need a DL to buy car insurance, probably can't buy car insurance with international driving permit. Or maybe I will just drive 3 hours to cali to renew my expired cali DL. anyone know if I can renew cali license over the mail without the renewal notice?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 AM

325 posts, read 788,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
hi guys I am moving to Vegas, my cali drivers licenses was expired 3 months ago, I have a valid international driving permit from Asia as well as license. Can I get NV drivers licenses with either one? do I need to retake the tests again? thanks
My out-of-state license expired in August around the time I moved here, and I contacted them and asked if I had to get a new driver's license before that license expired in order to avoid taking a driving test and was told no. Here is exactly what I was e-mailed: "As long as your license has been expired for less than one year and you have a good driving record, you would only have to complete a vision test." I would contact them here to make sure, as it appears you would not need to take a driving test after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas