Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:48 AM

206 posts, read 183,493 times

Advertisements

My objection to this arrest was the fact Nicky was turned loose after the murderer picked the gun UP. With the money metro spends, I would like to see a service animal with a fighting chance. Police ELEPHANTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,727,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
My objection to this arrest was the fact Nicky was turned loose after the murderer picked the gun UP. With the money metro spends, I would like to see a service animal with a fighting chance. Police ELEPHANTS.
I know Chimps are pretty deadly. They are really strong and very intelligent.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,163,657 times
This story makes me so sad. I'm out of town and have been for weeks, so I haven't been keeping up on local news. Some of the discourse in this thread reminds me why I don't miss home very much.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:59 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,326,545 times
Could the discourse be characterized by writing, "hard hearted, cold, unemotional people whose thinking is only in terms of black and white. And also opinions from those who have never known the love and loyalty of an animal and do not realize that once we domesticated them, we have a responsibility to THEM?

In reading through, my biggest kick came from those who parroted someone's irrational phrase that appears they think like a dog and know that the happiest dog in the world is one who works all day, sitting around in a hot car many times and putting it's life at risk without comforts of other more fortunate animals. Yep, they'll tell you anytime. They can read a dog's mind and know just what it's thinking.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Could the discourse be characterized by writing, "hard hearted, cold, unemotional people whose thinking is only in terms of black and white. And also opinions from those who have never known the love and loyalty of an animal and do not realize that once we domesticated them, we have a responsibility to THEM?

In reading through, my biggest kick came from those who parroted someone's irrational phrase that appears they think like a dog and know that the happiest dog in the world is one who works all day, sitting around in a hot car many times and putting it's life at risk without comforts of other more fortunate animals. Yep, they'll tell you anytime. They can read a dog's mind and know just what it's thinking.
I just wonder if metro has step by step protocol for the dogs safety, or its entirely up to the handler

Old 04-10-2016, 03:20 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,326,545 times
I don't know but I'll find out and let everyone know. A close friend is higher up admin. and was part of the canine funeral.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I don't know but I'll find out and let everyone know. A close friend is higher up admin. and was part of the canine funeral.
So, would you say there are mixed emotions within metro about using animals as "tools"?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 PM

792 posts, read 1,304,909 times
Quote:

Believe what you may, however I have extensive experience with "working breeds" and those dogs, be it a Shepherd, or Border Collie are most content and happy when they are doing what they were bred to do. Those canines are primarily "A" or high drive canines...they need and want to be active. To those animals it is not work...it is a game...and yes that includes taking down the bad guy.

I would also submit that LVMPD canines are not cramped in an unheated or non air conditioned unit all day...they are extremely well cared for, and when not "on the street" commonly a part of the handlers family.

People who are deeply involved with their animals, canines especially, can in fact, read their emotions...

There are many breeds, and each has inherited qualities and traits...some are totally content to lounge around and enjoy the easy life...that's OK...however if someone takes a breed specific, high drive, "A" type canine, and does not exercise its full drive and potential can and will wind up with a potential major problem.

The next time Metro has a K-9 Trial, go, watch how they preform and interact with their handler...talk to the handlers....it's not irrational by any stretch...those canines are in fact happiest when they are on the road...looking for the "bad guy"...

Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Believe what you may, however I have extensive experience with "working breeds" and those dogs, be it a Shepherd, or Border Collie are most content and happy when they are doing what they were bred to do. Those canines are primarily "A" or high drive canines...they need and want to be active. To those animals it is not work...it is a game...and yes that includes taking down the bad guy.

I would also submit that LVMPD canines are not cramped in an unheated or non air conditioned unit all day...they are extremely well cared for, and when not "on the street" commonly a part of the handlers family.

People who are deeply involved with their animals, canines especially, can in fact, read their emotions...

There are many breeds, and each has inherited qualities and traits...some are totally content to lounge around and enjoy the easy life...that's OK...however if someone takes a breed specific, high drive, "A" type canine, and does not exercise its full drive and potential can and will wind up with a potential major problem.

The next time Metro has a K-9 Trial, go, watch how they preform and interact with their handler...talk to the handlers....it's not irrational by any stretch...those canines are in fact happiest when they are on the road...looking for the "bad guy"...
Not true. A friend of mine lives next door to a K9, the dog lives outside in a cage. If metro keeps sending in dogs to do a mans job, they won't have any K9s left.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:42 PM

792 posts, read 1,304,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
Not true. A friend of mine lives next door to a K9, the dog lives outside in a cage. If metro keeps sending in dogs to do a mans job, they won't have any K9s left.
I think your "friend" is packed full of it. If they are claiming that is occurring, one call could confirm and address that...40k service dogs are NOT confined to anyone's backyard !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas