Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,042,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
Stay in Vegas free = have relatives or a best friend living here.
That's right. All my friends stay in Vegas for free because they ... hey, wait a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
That's right. All my friends stay in Vegas for free because they ... hey, wait a minute.
Yep, we have not gone a month without house guests.. We're at 28 months and counting...

Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,496,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yep, we have not gone a month without house guests.. We're at 28 months and counting...
You guys should open up a new market and make a few $.....city-data rates!

While I like renting a house for the privacy and staying at a friends houses, in Las Vegas, I'd rather stay in a hotel near the action to be within a stumble, er, I mean be within walking distance of my bed.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
You guys should open up a new market and make a few $.....city-data rates!

While I like renting a house for the privacy and staying at a friends houses, in Las Vegas, I'd rather stay in a hotel near the action to be within a stumble, er, I mean be within walking distance of my bed.
Our house comes with a designated driver (me)

I take our drinking guests on a pub crawl that can't be beat. Dino's, Atomic, Frankie's, Rebel, Vamp'd, plus the cool little local places near us like Due & Proper and Whyst. We always make it a point to refill a couple of growlers at Barley's too.

I've mapped out a "houses of the stars" tour. I take them to the "highlights" of the strip (Bellagio Conservatory & fountains, Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate, Venetian, Wynn atrium, NYNY Roller Coaster, Paris), etc. Down to Fremont (Container Park, Binions poker room, Golden Nugget shark tank, etc). We'll do the outlying areas (Eldorado Canyon, Boulder City (Hoover Dam, plus Hemenway Park), a drive through Red Rock, up to the Mt. Charleston Lodge for lunch, Nellis to watch the fighter planes, sometimes Valley of Fire, Goodsprings, or even Calico. We'll go to the Mob Museum, and the Neon Museum. Sometimes, if we're in season, we'll catch a 51s game.

I've made it a point to learn as much history as possible, so I can speak to things that we visit or drive by. I've found that, especially for my friends who come to a week but aren't gamblers, they leave with a greater appreciation of the valley.

They couldn't do these things if stumbling to their room on the strip. For the few friends of ours who just come here to gamble, they will usually stay at Wynn or Venetian, as they are poker players and prefer those poker rooms. But there are fewer than a half dozen who visit regularly solely for gambling. Even those who are hobby gamblers will normally stay with us, as GVR is within walking distance.

I have yet to have a guest leave who hasn't loved their trip here. 2 of our friends from RI are moving here upon graduation of their daughter from high school in a couple years. They had visited often, but had only stayed on the strip. They fell in love with our neighborhood, and we can't wait for our new neighbors to arrive

Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 AM

926 posts, read 765,819 times
What happened to the cheap hotels on Fremont St? $100 week. I know they were bad but they were cheap

Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
What happened to the cheap hotels on Fremont St? $100 week. I know they were bad but they were cheap
Tony, from Zappos.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:45 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,496,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Our house comes with a designated driver (me)

I take our drinking guests on a pub crawl that can't be beat. Dino's, Atomic, Frankie's, Rebel, Vamp'd, plus the cool little local places near us like Due & Proper and Whyst. We always make it a point to refill a couple of growlers at Barley's too.

I've mapped out a "houses of the stars" tour. I take them to the "highlights" of the strip (Bellagio Conservatory & fountains, Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate, Venetian, Wynn atrium, NYNY Roller Coaster, Paris), etc. Down to Fremont (Container Park, Binions poker room, Golden Nugget shark tank, etc). We'll do the outlying areas (Eldorado Canyon, Boulder City (Hoover Dam, plus Hemenway Park), a drive through Red Rock, up to the Mt. Charleston Lodge for lunch, Nellis to watch the fighter planes, sometimes Valley of Fire, Goodsprings, or even Calico. We'll go to the Mob Museum, and the Neon Museum. Sometimes, if we're in season, we'll catch a 51s game.

I've made it a point to learn as much history as possible, so I can speak to things that we visit or drive by. I've found that, especially for my friends who come to a week but aren't gamblers, they leave with a greater appreciation of the valley.

They couldn't do these things if stumbling to their room on the strip. For the few friends of ours who just come here to gamble, they will usually stay at Wynn or Venetian, as they are poker players and prefer those poker rooms. But there are fewer than a half dozen who visit regularly solely for gambling. Even those who are hobby gamblers will normally stay with us, as GVR is within walking distance.

I have yet to have a guest leave who hasn't loved their trip here. 2 of our friends from RI are moving here upon graduation of their daughter from high school in a couple years. They had visited often, but had only stayed on the strip. They fell in love with our neighborhood, and we can't wait for our new neighbors to arrive
You are a great host! Sounds like an excellent variety of places you take your guests beyond the strip and such. Always good for the guests to have someone who knows an area well and can take them to a variety of places to hang out and experience. We always enjoy taking some side trips around the city. Valley of Fire is one of our favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas