Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,815,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The mere fact that LV is as massively autocentric as it is, would probably drive someone who considers themself as crunchy crazy.
You are under the impression that Crunchy places are walkable? Where the hell did you get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,006,314 times
If you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is stop digging.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
Not being the least crunchy (as it has been defined here), I guess I wouldn't know. But I would think anyone who was, would look for places that were.

I'd be interested to here what the OP has to say about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are under the impression that Crunchy places are walkable? Where the hell did you get that?

Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is stop digging.
Do you ever follow your own advice?

No...Scoop...never...

Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Not being the least crunchy (as it has been defined here), I guess I wouldn't know. But I would think anyone who was, would look for places that were.

I'd be interested to here what the OP has to say about this
One of the standard constructs. Neat places with open space and few rules are not going to be in tight urban areas. Nature of the beast. You can ride a bicycle I suppose. But you will get old real quick trying to walk.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,006,314 times
Quote:
The mere fact that LV is as massively autocentric as it is, would probably drive someone who considers themself as crunchy crazy.

There's that. And it's coupled with our horribly-inefficient public transportation system. There's the "I got mine Jack" attitude that permeates the city. There's the fact that we're willing to write off whole segments of our community and marginalize them for want of funding to reduce class sizes. There's the concerted effort keep programs like Housing First out of our community, despite the fact that it works so well elsewhere. There's the fact that we have plenty of will to imprison people, but none to divert spending to keep people out of trouble in the first place. There's also the fact that we have been dragged, kicking and screaming, in the direction of same-sex marriage and legal marijuana. (Don't even get me started about the LDS church. They've spent millions to keep that from happening. That isn't "tolerance." That's "adversarial.")

There's the enthusiasm with which this city's residents squander resources. (But we're good at conserving water, for some reason. We're also marginally better about recycling over the past few years. But the vast, vast majority of Las Vegans aren't on board with the "dispose less in the first place." This city loves consumable, disposable, pre-packaged convenience.)

It's the fact that people would rather save a couple hundred bucks on their taxes so they can put it up their noses, drink it, stuff it in a g-string, or blow it on video poker -- rather than do something meaningful to fix all these societal ills. We won't even properly fund our libraries.

But mostly, it's the fact that so many people have blinders on about all of the above, and blithely go through the motions each day. These Las Vegans phone it in instead of living deliberately. This describes the majority of this city's residents.

It doesn't drive "crunchy" people crazy. But it is frustrating to live in such a self-destructive city, watching first-hand as it chews people up and ruins them to save a few measly bucks.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,281,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAderyn View Post
We're very crunchy, young professional, eco-hippy types. We met and work at an environmental nonprofit. Eat organic. Had a homebirth, cloth diaper, make our own baby foods, etc. We're very involved with civil rights/LGBT movements. Very environmentally conscious. And do a lot of activist work. We shop consciously and "vote" with our dollars by using fair trade and local stores as much as possible. In other words, we put our money where our mouth is (literally since nonprofit pays much less than corporate).

Is there really a place in the Las Vegas area for a family like ours? I know it's a big city and there are variations in culture from one place to another. I'm used to big city living like that. But, what are the neighborhoods or suburbs that would best fit?
Hi DougAderyn! I'm gonna let my freak flag fly here. Prepare yourself for the snooze fest of "all about me and my experience" so you get an understanding where I'm coming from. I grew up in Austin, TX. It was an alternative hippy tech culture. Some call it Yuppies. Though I personally believe no true hippies exist today because that was a movement in the 60's and had it's time and place and we've evolved since then. So whatever you want to call us. Neo-hippies or 'hipsters', which I didn't even know existed as a word until the last five years. Austin is the birthplace of Whole Foods so you get the idea. I'm the generation that started with DOS on computers in the first grade so we grew up with them and were already plugged in from a young age.

I also grew up in Boise, Idaho which is another capitol city similar to Austin, TX with the technology and bits of Pacific Northwest organic, green, earthy, farm to table, outdoors cultural influence. They have a pocket of crunchy liberals in the North End and some in the East End. Though it's more tech people in the East end. Overall it's more traditional, conservative, self sufficient, family values oriented State. Both sides of my family are from Idaho but my Dad joined the military so he was stationed in Germany and Texas. He was in the Army for nine years so I'm somewhat a military brat. My parents are both one of six children so I've got a very big family and we're spread out all over the United States. I was also raised without religion. I have no indoctrination. I did one year in a christian private school in high school to get some exposure to religion but left it after that year. My parents had left the church before I was born. How I came to marry an Arab Muslim doctor baffles and frightens some of them, but I make it work.

My father comes from farmers and ranchers and so I also lived on several hundred acres of land there with my family and worked with the plants and animals. We grew our own garden. Baked our own bread. Had our daily chores to make the place productive. My father is conservative my mother is the new age, liberal, progressive, whole foods, trader joe's, artistic, health foods, organic hippy type. Though she was a conservative good little religious girl that towed the line until they had their break from religion. That changed everything but it was right before my time or in my early years.

I lived on the Palouse in a liberal college oasis and western Oregon which is the mecca for our types where we're surrounded by liberal progressives, can eat vegan or vegetarian all day every day at multiple places, talk about spirituality without judgement, have an abundant artistic community that thrived, don't have to wear makeup or feel pressure to dress up, they take great care of their bodies and are fit and a healthy natural way, recycle, educated on BPAs, conservation, eco, college educated. You get the idea.

I've also lived in Scotland, Norway and Egypt for some periods of time and have visited Mexico and Denmark. We have a flat in Egypt and go back and forth for the past ten years. I still have lots of traveling to do. I'm a certified PADI diver. I've sky dived. I've camped at concerts. I'm college educated. I've traveled to 17 out of the 50 States and hope to see all of them. I've worked in many different occupations and have a lot of experiences all the way from the homeless to Prime Ministers of countries, Doctors Without Borders and the Director General of the World Health Organization.

Anyways, for me it was quite the culture shock when moving to Las Vegas, instead of just visiting, and has been an adjustments period finding my tribe.

Before I moved here I started the Slightly Crunchy Doctors' Wives group on facebook. It's Slightly Crunchy for a reason because some of us are natural newbies as opposed to being Granola Girls or Queen's of Crunch. I ran the group for awhile before I turned it over to new admins so I could take a break from social media. I was running several group at once including a local LV doctors' wives one and became spent with the hyper connectivity.

I'm also a little more of the new age sensitive type than some of my more granola counter parts and was aware as the leader of these various groups I was drawing attention from the more scientific, conservative, religious and even atheist in the medical community. Trying to manage the egos and negative attention directed towards me was draining while I was adjusting to a new city, a new life, new friends, ect. I just wanted to provide a safe place of support for people of a certain caliber.

When I made my house hunting trip here prior to moving I was really attracted to downtown and the Zappos community. I love everything they're doing with the Downtown Project. I generally gravitate towards living in downtown areas too because it's where things are happening and where the most conveniences are. However, I found the energy in the NW to be the most comfortable and affordable for our budget. We drove all over looking at places and I literally felt the energy lighten when I crossed Summerlin Parkway near Trader Joe's on Washington and found I could breath again. The energy here in the valley is something else. Getting out in nature such as Red Rock Canyon or out in the desert under the stars is going to be best if you're like me.

I spent a year looking for my tribe and it really does seem few and far between. You can find some of it at places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, farmer's markets, even Fresh & Easy now. These places act like watering holes for us. Including the vegan places and some new age stores. I wouldn't say all of them because I've walked in some of them that are devoid of spirituality and sell spiritual product like their toys or knick knacks. It took me a year to find out that the best New Age Spiritual store in the valley was just down the street from me off Rainbow called, Enchanted Forest. No wonder I resonated with this area. They have classes all the time and when I talk with some of them they've agreed that there aren't a lot of us light workers here in Las Vegas. I'm still looking for what else is out there too and what exactly is my purpose here.

I've quoted below the people that said the same thing I would have to you. It's also what I've found to be true for the alternative culture here. It's not the majority but veins of it are there. The Arts District. The Medical District. The Scotch 80s. The Smith Center area. The Downtown Zappos areas. They all have the themes you're seeking. However, remember I've only been here a year and while I'm like you and actively seeking those like me I only have so much experience. There are also these "New Thought Churches" that I've checked out that are alright. They're more about positive thinking and a center for spiritual living.

Culture doesn't make people. The people make culture. The culture here is mostly something other than crunchy and there is no designated area in town for us really. If there was a place made for us here in town then I'd say it would be emerging in the area that Anna Shun describes.

However, it's a mostly a mixed bag of the flashy, glitzy, glamorous, plastic surgery, botox, drugs, party, alcohol, car clubs, how much money your have, some decay, disrepair, crime, and then typical suburban sprawl. It's a heavy energy to work with and transform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna shun View Post
Doug--
There is an arts district downtown, a strong new age culture and many Burning Man types -- you'll find left of center, alternative types a plenty here, but I also find that it is very worthwhile here to expand your culture to those that are not of that description, as that is the true definition of diversity to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna shun View Post
I'd advise looking at the properties near the Rancho Corridor like Scotch 80s, Charleston McNeill, Artesian Heights, homes along Oakey blvd. Some of these are old money ranch homes, former horse properties, or midCentury modern Eichler lookalikes that I think are a hidden gems for their prices and space. You will be close to downtown, the Design market/Smith Performing Arts Center, the Arts District, and the Medical District, and you will these areas served by Traders Joes, tons of antique/vintage shops, psychic bookstores, and you are never too far from the chains if you should need them. KNPR broadcasts from near this area, and great local hangs like Frankie's Tiki Bar, and Herbs & Rye are nearby, as are Los Tacos & In & Out if you want it. The Chinatown area of Spring Mountain blvd is very close. You'll be 10 mins away from the airport, 7 from the Strip, I just can't say enough about how much we love this part of the city.. it's really underrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.

Urban Dictionary: crunchy

Their example is quite good but past this forum rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Almost. It comes from hippies being granola eaters. Crunchy == granola eater == hippie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Las Vegas is not in the least bit "crunchy". You should head to Colorado, California, Oregon, or Washington. You might consider Santa Fe NM , very "crunchy".
All this. ^

Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAderyn View Post
But, I'm concerned about culture. We're very crunchy, young professional, eco-hippy types. We met and work at an environmental nonprofit. Eat organic. Had a homebirth, cloth diaper, make our own baby foods, etc. We're very involved with civil rights/LGBT movements. Very environmentally conscious. And do a lot of activist work. We shop consciously and "vote" with our dollars by using fair trade and local stores as much as possible. In other words, we put our money where our mouth is (literally since nonprofit pays much less than corporate).
Is there really a place in the Las Vegas area for a family like ours? ... what are the neighborhoods or suburbs that would best fit?
I haven't read the whole thread. But here's my .02:

Pick a neighborhood that you want to live in. They're all different and it's a decision mostly independent of your neighbors. We drive everywhere, go anywhere in the valley to get to the 'culture' we each enjoy.

As some have said, downtown is closest to the arts/culture scene.

Hook up with the burner/jam band crowd, and how you find them is through the Las Vegas Jam Band Society.

Las Vegas Jam Band Society - For the music

Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There's that. And it's coupled with our horribly-inefficient public transportation system. There's the "I got mine Jack" attitude that permeates the city. There's the fact that we're willing to write off whole segments of our community and marginalize them for want of funding to reduce class sizes. There's the concerted effort keep programs like Housing First out of our community, despite the fact that it works so well elsewhere. There's the fact that we have plenty of will to imprison people, but none to divert spending to keep people out of trouble in the first place. There's also the fact that we have been dragged, kicking and screaming, in the direction of same-sex marriage and legal marijuana. (Don't even get me started about the LDS church. They've spent millions to keep that from happening. That isn't "tolerance." That's "adversarial.")

There's the enthusiasm with which this city's residents squander resources. (But we're good at conserving water, for some reason. We're also marginally better about recycling over the past few years. But the vast, vast majority of Las Vegans aren't on board with the "dispose less in the first place." This city loves consumable, disposable, pre-packaged convenience.)

It's the fact that people would rather save a couple hundred bucks on their taxes so they can put it up their noses, drink it, stuff it in a g-string, or blow it on video poker -- rather than do something meaningful to fix all these societal ills. We won't even properly fund our libraries.

But mostly, it's the fact that so many people have blinders on about all of the above, and blithely go through the motions each day. These Las Vegans phone it in instead of living deliberately. This describes the majority of this city's residents.

It doesn't drive "crunchy" people crazy. But it is frustrating to live in such a self-destructive city, watching first-hand as it chews people up and ruins them to save a few measly bucks.
Actually, you have to look a little more closely than that. Our newcomer retirees are our " I got mine. Eff the schools " types in general. People like me who have been here for a long time are likely to give tax increases the hairy eyeball because things like the " more cops " initiative and certain school taxes have only fed the corrupt establishment and never led to more cops or better teacher salaries.

The corruption has to be addressed.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:02 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,281,939 times
This is kind of my definition of crunchy. Crunchy with a side of moderation

Also doing a google search on crunchy lifestyle in las vegas I came up with a few C-D threads you can read through for suggestions. I also picked one post to copy and paste here that I liked.

And there's this:
Crunchy Mamas Meetup Las Vegas
I'm a Crunchy Mom - Midwifery - Las Vegas
Healthy Vegas Vegans
Eating Vegan in Vegas
Vegaroos Babywearing Group
The Barefoot Baby - Natural and Reusable Products for Mama and Baby
Belly Wrap Boutique & Spa - Obstetricians & Gynecologists, Medical Spas
Cowboy Trail Farms - Organic Edibles
Tea Mind Body

Whole Foods, Trader Joes', Sprouts, Haggen, Fresh and Easy, Farmer Markets. Loads of Yoga places and spas with organic products. Plus Green Living services.

The past C-D threads:

Does Vegas have a crunchy area? (Las Vegas: for sale, home, transfer to)

Area that is green, hippie-vibe, community minded? (Las Vegas: neighborhood, living)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
If you do choose Vegas (as we did, for the moment) there are some green-type places:
- Gilcrease Orchard
- Gilcrease Animal Sanctuary
- Springs Preserve
- Mt. Charleston
- Red Rock Canyon
- The NSPCA
- The Vegas Veg Meetup Group
- Vegas Organic Gardening Meetup Group
- Various Farmer's Markets Throughout the Valley
- Floyd Lamb State Park
- The Magical Forest
- Vegas Roots / Tonopah Community Gardens

My wife and I frequent/support these types of places and have created as crunchy an existence as possible in this gun-toting wild west town

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 08-16-2015 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas