Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 AM

24 posts, read 31,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna shun View Post
Actually, on the note of trying to avoid HOAs..

I'd advise looking at the properties near the Rancho Corridor like Scotch 80s, Charleston McNeill, Artesian Heights, homes along Oakey blvd. Some of these are old money ranch homes, former horse properties, or midCentury modern Eichler lookalikes that I think are a hidden gems for their prices and space. You will be close to downtown, the Design market/Smith Performing Arts Center, the Arts District, and the Medical District, and you will these areas served by Traders Joes, tons of antique/vintage shops, psychic bookstores, and you are never too far from the chains if you should need them. KNPR broadcasts from near this area, and great local hangs like Frankie's Tiki Bar, and Herbs & Rye are nearby, as are Los Tacos & In & Out if you want it. The Chinatown area of Spring Mountain blvd is very close. You'll be 10 mins away from the airport, 7 from the Strip, I just can't say enough about how much we love this part of the city.. it's really underrated.

Also:

NO HOAs!!
If you check Crimemappers, you'll be happy too. The area and its history is VERY safe.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the advice I was asking for. I knew that the general overview of a city is different than it's individual neighborhoods and suburbs. I just couldn't believe that millions of people all walked around like identical robots throughout the whole, huge city and metro area. I've lived in big cities my whole life, there's never just One Way that folks live. That's the great thing about city living!
I just wanted to know the area that would be a good starting point. A possible "fit" for my family with amenities that we'd enjoy.
I really appreciate your help. I wish I could keep hitting your "Rate Positive" button a bunch more times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAderyn View Post
Haha, well for me it's great. I'm an event coordinator and there's a billion job openings in Vegas. I'm partial to nonprofit work but willing to compromise so my SO can be a stay-at-home daddy while my LO (and her future sibling) are still young.
And pay vs cost of living is WAY better in LV than here in DC (or CA or AZ...) at least for my line of work.
You'll want to find some meetup groups that are into hiking or yoga to find like minded people. I second the recommendation for Summerlin. I'd recommend the cool mid-century modern areas, but the schools suck. Maybe for a few years until the kiddo is ready for school.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You'll want to find some meetup groups that are into hiking or yoga to find like minded people. I second the recommendation for Summerlin. I'd recommend the cool mid-century modern areas, but the schools suck. Maybe for a few years until the kiddo is ready for school.
And let's not mince words -- on a event planner's salary? Summerlin is likely out. The good part of downtown is out. (And even then, that's the last place I'd bring a family.)

This whole plan sounds half-baked. I think OP is setting himself up for a tailspin of epic proportions.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:58 AM

33 posts, read 34,456 times
Be sure to do your research-- even in this area, there are patches that are not as nice. it is an older part of town, but you'll be able to tell the crap areas bc yards are not as nice, or there are a lot of run down cars parked out front, etc... just drive around, you'll know in your gut when/if you've found the right house in this area. I can't speak to the schools as we do not have kids, but I think if you're coming from DC you've navigated bad school experience.

As former New Yorkers who just entered our 40's and work in media and design, we found this area fit our needs best. We knew we could never go the cookie cutter route and would have shot ourselves if we had an HOA breathing down our backs. We get a lot of privacy and space and are continually and pleasantly surprised by Las Vegas - we never expected to like it so much.

I wish you lots of luck in your search!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And let's not mince words -- on a event planner's salary? Summerlin is likely out. The good part of downtown is out. (And even then, that's the last place I'd bring a family.)

This whole plan sounds half-baked. I think OP is setting himself up for a tailspin of epic proportions.
Hahaha! You obviously have NO IDEA how much it costs to live in DC! HAHAHAHA!
And you definitely don't know me, or how advanced in my career I am, or how many places world wide I've lived, how well I budget my income, or what my savings or other investments are. You don't event know what gender I am... obviously!
I just scanned the prices in Rancho Corridor and it's extremely affordable from my perspective, I know what the event coordinator salaries are in LV (it's not hard to look that information up), and I also know what it's like to live in a place that *DOES* take income tax and leaves you with very little left in your check. Believe me, I've done my research and I'm no stranger to planning a move.
Thus, the detailed questions and research 1 year out from my move date!
Why can't you just be nice. Give helpful advice. Or leave folks alone? Seriously, is this how you spend your time? Just making folks feel crummy about themselves? What a life you must have!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna shun View Post
Be sure to do your research-- even in this area, there are patches that are not as nice. it is an older part of town, but you'll be able to tell the crap areas bc yards are not as nice, or there are a lot of run down cars parked out front, etc... just drive around, you'll know in your gut when/if you've found the right house in this area. I can't speak to the schools as we do not have kids, but I think if you're coming from DC you've navigated bad school experience.

As former New Yorkers who just entered our 40's and work in media and design, we found this area fit our needs best. We knew we could never go the cookie cutter route and would have shot ourselves if we had an HOA breathing down our backs. We get a lot of privacy and space and are continually and pleasantly surprised by Las Vegas - we never expected to like it so much.

I wish you lots of luck in your search!
Thank you again, Anna Shun, for being so helpful and considerate about your advice. I'm glad there are some friendly and kind people living out there.

And, yes. As you said, The DC schools are horrendous. We'd have no choice but to pay for private schools out here and even those can be questionable in our area.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
You call "where are the hippie zones of Las Vegas" detailed questions?

You're getting free advice from someone who moved here from the most liberal place on the planet. Things are better here than they were five years ago. But this is still the last place I'd bring a family. Particularly if you call yourself "crunchy." (Your words, not mine.)

Las Vegas is most certainly NOT a Burning Man kind of town. Not even close.

You can make a decent living and enjoy a low cost of living if you do the legwork. But don't expect much more than that. And you're about to choose the peer group for your children. It's not going to be a bunch of like-minded families. That isn't happening. Make peace with that, too.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAderyn View Post
Hahaha! You obviously have NO IDEA how much it costs to live in DC! HAHAHAHA!
And you definitely don't know me, or how advanced in my career I am, or how many places world wide I've lived, how well I budget my income, or what my savings or other investments are. You don't event know what gender I am... obviously!
I just scanned the prices in Rancho Corridor and it's extremely affordable from my perspective, I know what the event coordinator salaries are in LV (it's not hard to look that information up), and I also know what it's like to live in a place that *DOES* take income tax and leaves you with very little left in your check. Believe me, I've done my research and I'm no stranger to planning a move.
Thus, the detailed questions and research 1 year out from my move date!
Why can't you just be nice. Give helpful advice. Or leave folks alone? Seriously, is this how you spend your time? Just making folks feel crummy about themselves? What a life you must have!
Scoop is our local pessimist, he's heading out of here anyway

Since we're from the same area, let me help out. You'll find out that Vegas is still behind the times in terms of culture, not to say it is finally taking steps to catch up; however, you should be prepared for a significant difference to what we have back in D.C. Definitely do your research on schools in the area that you are looking because CCSD has some good schools and some terrible schools, we've been pretty lucky so far in the NW.

Aside from the heat of the summer, you'll find fewer negatives compared to D.C. especially traffic Hope it works out!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
For all it's supposed "sin," Las Vegas is a very conservative city -- full of fundamentalist religious types, hard-core Ayn Rand libertarians, and baked-in-the-sun whackjobs. People here are in love with their consumer culture. They love the homogenous nature of the city. And that's the people who actually care about politics and social issues.
Wait. There are politics and social issues here???

Old 08-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Scoop is our local pessimist, he's heading out of here anyway

Since we're from the same area, let me help out. You'll find out that Vegas is still behind the times in terms of culture, not to say it is finally taking steps to catch up; however, you should be prepared for a significant difference to what we have back in D.C. Definitely do your research on schools in the area that you are looking because CCSD has some good schools and some terrible schools, we've been pretty lucky so far in the NW.

Aside from the heat of the summer, you'll find fewer negatives compared to D.C. especially traffic Hope it works out!
Thank you! That's very helpful.
I never thought I'd say it but I miss the desert heat! DC has 95 degree days with 90% humidity! Yuck! It's disgustingly hot out here all summer long. I realized too late that I had everything I wanted out in the desert. Now it's time to hull my DC born partner and baby back west where I belong!
Oh yea! And I will definitely not miss the traffic! Uhhhhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas