Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,039 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has been offered a transfer to the Vegas area and we are talking about a few things. He's not sure if he wants to transfer yet, but asked me if I would consider going with him if he did or if that would be the end of our relationship. Besides not being sure if I want to move cross country (we currently live in Rhode Island) for a guy I'm not even engaged to, I'm not sure if I'd like Vegas. I tend to like a more hippie/crunchy environment. Local stores, farmer's markets, eco-friendly, etc. Are there parts of the Vegas area where I may find like-minded individuals? Can someone point me in the direction of some areas to research?

Last edited by beth98; 03-10-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
The outer shell is crunchy. The inside is warm and gooey.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
There are some enclaves of crunchy, but no specifically crunchy areas. There are some farmers' markets and there are some good products available but in the end, its a desert and there really is only so much produce you can grow. You wont find grass fed beef being reared in Las Vegas for example.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Many farmers markets are lame in big cities in the West anyways. Even in crunchier than thou Boulder, CO the farmers markets are a handful of things you would expect in a farmers market and then many more stands of high end products for sale. There is no competition between products so prices are sky high. They just are hipster shopping malls as one of my good friends called them around the Denver area where lots of people would support a real farmers market. Vegas is really no different.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
beth... vegas is not like Oregon only different, it's very different.

there really are not areas like you want

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,039 times
Quote:
Many farmers markets are lame in big cities in the West anyways. Even in crunchier than thou Boulder, CO the farmers markets are a handful of things you would expect in a farmers market and then many more stands of high end products for sale. There is no competition between products so prices are sky high. They just are hipster shopping malls as one of my good friends called them around the Denver area where lots of people would support a real farmers market. Vegas is really no different.
I've been to Boulder/Denver. While the farmer's market's are lacking comparatively, there are plenty of local products and a solid eco/indy vibe. I could happily live in Boulder.

Quote:
beth... vegas is not like Oregon only different, it's very different.

there really are not areas like you want
Huh? Not sure where Oregon came from, but I've never been there. Though I'm guessing I'd enjoy it.

Quote:
There are some enclaves of crunchy, but no specifically crunchy areas. There are some farmers' markets and there are some good products available but in the end, its a desert and there really is only so much produce you can grow. You wont find grass fed beef being reared in Las Vegas for example.
I can accept there may be less available due to climate in terms of produce. Are there local stores or is everything pretty much a chain?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM

21,100 posts, read 19,703,590 times
There are several varieties of edible cactus.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:10 AM

553 posts, read 1,208,463 times
I am not aware of any "crunchy" neighborhoods in LV. That said, you can certainly find "crunchy" retail and other "crunchy" activities.

If it is crunchy retail you want, we have it. The arts district is a developing, if rough, area filled with local arts, furnishings, and antiques kinds of stores. On a higher end scale, Tivoli Village has some nice local retailers. As for groceries, they are not local stores, but Whole Foods is here, and if you want something cheaper and a little smaller scale, Sprouts is a new chai that has recently come to LV. For true Farmers' Markets, we have a couple that set up shop in different locations on different days.

If it is crunchy entertainment you want, we have it. Commune with nature at Red Rock where they offer a wide variety of programs and trails. For a more alpine like experience, try Mt. Charleston. A day at the lake is easy to enjoy too with Lake Mead nearby. First Friday is another activity that could qualify as crunchy, but it is a lot more than that. It is basically a party where artists get to show their wares and talents. Don't forget about fine arts available at the Smith Center. The performer's workshop (I don't recall the actual name for the show) that they do there about every three months or so would probably qualify as crunchy. or you might prefer bigger name jazz performers. They show up at the Smith Center, too.

You won't find a college town feel or New England two vibe anywhere here. Las Vegas has a diverse population and a wide open feel that is part of being here in the great West desert. It's not like Seattle or Portland or San Francisco or Iowa City or Madison, Wisconsin. In fact, its not like any other place on earth. That is exactly why LV is so great and why so many tend to either love it or hate it.

The moral of the story is: I would not move here without trying it out first, but with the exceptions of abundant fine arts, humid summers, freezing winters, and quality local rail transportation, you can find whatever you want here.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,178 times
Hi Beth,

My wife and I love the types of places you're looking for. We only came here because of a great deal on a beautiful home that we intended to use as a stepping stone. Let's just say after 1 year, we can't wait to step off the stone

But here is a recent thread that addresses your exact question:
Area that is green, hippie-vibe, community minded?

And more specifically, my post in that thread, which details the greenest/hippiest/crunchiest places we have found here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/27466641-post23.html

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
My boyfriend has been offered a transfer to the Vegas area and we are talking about a few things. He's not sure if he wants to transfer yet, but asked me if I would consider going with him if he did or if that would be the end of our relationship. Besides not being sure if I want to move cross country (we currently live in Rhode Island) for a guy I'm not even engaged to, I'm not sure if I'd like Vegas. I tend to like a more hippie/crunchy environment. Local stores, farmer's markets, eco-friendly, etc. Are there parts of the Vegas area where I may find like-minded individuals? Can someone point me in the direction of some areas to research?
We're moving from RI in June.. can we get a ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas