Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM

280 posts, read 573,125 times

Advertisements

I must be getting old (and maybe too conservative) and no offense to the OP.....but what the heck is "crunchy"?

LOL, never heard that term before & I lived in the PNW for 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 AM

19 posts, read 33,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNVTrucker View Post
I must be getting old (and maybe too conservative) and no offense to the OP.....but what the heck is "crunchy"?

Don't worry I'm young and I've never heard that term either.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,790,157 times
Default Crunchy area?

You mean, people accidentally drop peanut shells down on their street and you want to step on them, for the crunchy feel?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,799,842 times
Quote:

As in "Earthy Crunchy".. hippie.. liberal..

Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM

280 posts, read 573,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
As in "Earthy Crunchy".. hippie.. liberal..
Ah , that listening to John Denver eating your Grape Nuts crunchy.

I don't think Vegas is very hippie, thats Berkeley,CA up to Seattle.
Vegas IS fairly liberal in some areas & events...and very conservative in others.
This is not California...or Rhode Island. Nevada is, what Nevada is. Every area is unique and has its own challenges and advantages, its own culture, politics & its own way of life. To expect somewhere 3000+ miles away to be similar to where your at now more then likely wont happen. If you can adapt to Las Vegas, chances are you will probably love it here; if you don't adapt, you'll hate it here.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Ah , that listening to John Denver eating your Grape Nuts crunchy.

I don't think Vegas is very hippie, thats Berkeley,CA up to Seattle.
Vegas IS fairly liberal in some areas & events...and very conservative in others.
This is not California...or Rhode Island. Nevada is, what Nevada is. Every area is unique and has its own challenges and advantages, its own culture, politics & its own way of life. To expect somewhere 3000+ miles away to be similar to where your at now more then likely wont happen. If you can adapt to Las Vegas, chances are you will probably love it here; if you don't adapt, you'll hate it here.
It has a crunchy side when someone steps off the curb......

Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
As others have said, if you want a progressive, liberal, hippie, greenie kind of place, Vegas isn't it. It's not as outright conservative as it used to be, but what liberalism there is tends to be union-centric class warrior based., not the new age, hippie-dippie kind.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:

I hadn't either....until this issue and that very term were discussed on this forum just a couple of months ago in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ty-minded.html

Here are a couple of posts from that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
I suppose Vegas/Clark County is actually quite green with wind farms (outside the city), Boulder Dam right outside town, Solar research, many buildings have skylights to take advantage of the daily sunlight, many modern (energy efficient) homes, many homes with Xeriscape landscaping, fantastic traffic infrastructure, the most advanced water reclamation systems in the country, recycling on the rise and Apex land fill just north of town rather than trucking all the garbage hundreds of miles out of state like many cities. We also have true diversity.

The city and it's people do practice many green practices but they don't run around celebrating it and throwing it in everyone's face.

We do lack the the arts and crunchy lifestyle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Had to google "crunchy lifestyle". Now I know what a "granola woman" is. I thought I was up on my hip terms and modern slang.

I guess not.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM

88 posts, read 150,657 times
Excellent post Coco, really great info for us newbies to the area (moving to Vegas in April) and can't wait...

Cheers!

Jessey

Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,420,258 times
Beth, I can pretty much tell you that if the environment is important to you, and you are not ready to embrace a vibrant desert lifestyle, you should stay in Rhode Island. There are not really any funky unique places, just "Whole Foods", about as "Crunchy" as you are gonna get.

Having been to Rhode Island in the summer, spring, and fall, Las Vegas is like being in Hades. I felt like I really could not wrap my head around why people even move to Vegas.

But, if you love your boyfriend, where you live should not be an issue. If it is...I suggest you part ways.

Note: lived in Vegas on and off for 25 years. Don't really like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas