Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,888 times

Advertisements

I went to Las Vegas last week and Summerlin is very nice, and it looks like the kind of area where you would feel safe walking around at night. If you look at Cheyenne west of I 15 and keep going west until you hit the mountains, that is a very new area. Also in that area is an intersection I really liked. It is the intersection of Cheyenne and Soaring Gulls. It is all newer houses and a couple of large ponds. Most like an HOA. But there were people out jogging early Saturday morning, and it just gave me the feeling of something like Beverly Hills, CA without the large mansions of course. I would try that neighborhood first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,262,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccorkle View Post
I went to Las Vegas last week and Summerlin is very nice, and it looks like the kind of area where you would feel safe walking around at night. If you look at Cheyenne west of I 15 and keep going west until you hit the mountains, that is a very new area. Also in that area is an intersection I really liked. It is the intersection of Cheyenne and Soaring Gulls. It is all newer houses and a couple of large ponds. Most like an HOA. But there were people out jogging early Saturday morning, and it just gave me the feeling of something like Beverly Hills, CA without the large mansions of course. I would try that neighborhood first.
That is called Desert Shores...and people are in and about the jogging trails in there at all hours. Pretty safe. It does get pretty inexpensive though it also has million dollar homes. Be a little cautious about the condos on Soaring Gull...but otherwise a pretty nice place with some very good buys.

Not in Summerlin by the way...it starts across the street to the west.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM

133 posts, read 585,544 times
Just south of Desert Shores (and South Shores), across from Lake Mead Blvd is the rest of 89128, called the Pueblos, technically part of Summerlin. This is a hidden gem for those who want the perks of Summerlin (most SID's are long paid off here) but not the snobbery. Some nice neighborhoods are Taos Estates and Sonoma (gated), and Mirada (not gated). The public elementary school and middle schools are both excellent (Richard H. Bryan & Becker), and you can't be more convenient to places like Boca Park and Best of the West further east (huh?) towards Rainbow. This area also has easy access to faster N-S surface streets (Buffalo, Durango, Rainbow) if you need to get down towards Sahara or Flamingo and avoid freeways. For some reason, the market in this area has not bounced back at all price-wise (the rest of Summerlin has come back up a bit), so you can pick up a pretty great deal here. Also, if you don't mind being a little further out, LOTS of nice larger homes in non-planned areas in the 89129 zip code, too. General real estate price is around $85/sq ft.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 PM

42 posts, read 79,664 times
I don't know what you're looking to spend. If you want land, consider an older home in the NW. Might even find areas that still allow horses (farmland). But, most of what you'll find is a home on a very small lot. "Land is a premium because it's limited" is the hype. Last time I checked, there's a lot of desert out there! So, you get a house with barely enough land to accommodate it. You can hear your neighbor fart! If you can spend close to or over a million, then you just might get a nice size yard, however it's still not much. If you don't want neighbors around you, then consider getting a place outside the city limits and drive in to work.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM

North Las Vegas North of Craig Road is probably what you'd be interested in. South of Craig your getting into very low socio-economic area and crime rates go up, and everything else that goes along with it.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mward View Post
I am also looking for a safe neighborhood for a young single woman. I am hearing that Summerlin, Green Valley, Desert Shores, Lone Mountain, Seven Hills, Anthem Coventry, and Spring Valley would be some great places to start. What about Boulder City.

Well, there is no perfectly "safe" neighborhood; no guarantees. You can look at statistics online and that could help you make a better choice. Boulder City seemed rather docile to me, but I don't live there; only visited for art in the park events. Take self defense classes and get your "Carry" permit. I think you're on the right track with those areas you mentioned.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,054,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger702 View Post
Well, there is no perfectly "safe" neighborhood; no guarantees. You can look at statistics online and that could help you make a better choice. Boulder City seemed rather docile to me, but I don't live there; only visited for art in the park events. Take self defense classes and get your "Carry" permit. I think you're on the right track with those areas you mentioned.
You've responded to a post from 2007.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
I am looking to move to Las Vegas, Nevada. I am planning on going to UNLV to finish my schooling and will be buying a home. I will also be bringing my Mother who is sixty-five years of age and still spry. We have two small dogs and two turtles (red-ear sliders). Would like a home in a good, safe, clean area. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as areas and close to UNLV like maybe twenty to thirty minutes away.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,166,692 times
20 to 30 minutes away is 1/2 of the city or more. Take your pick

Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
Since people aren't giving any thought to their questions, I'm going to quit giving any thought to my answers. (It's very easy to tell when people haven't read any previous "where's a good, clean, safe area of Las Vegas" threads.)

Henceforth, every "Where should I live in Las Vegas" question will be answered with a single word: Summerlin. (It's probably where they want to live anyway and it gives them something to Google.)

Sure would be nice if we could merge all of these threads into a "Where should I live in the Las Vegas Metro area?" megathread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas