Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,407,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Do you really believe a cop is justified in shooting you because you didn't tell him you had a gun?

And why do you bother to carry a gun?
No one is saying he is justified in shooting...just that he might. Justified or not, you could still be dead. How would you feel if you pulled someone over for going 80 in 45 late a night on a lonely highway, and suddendly you see a gun near the guy's hand on the seat of his car? Anyone would be startled by that, and having a gun themselves, might be inclined to pull it out and point it at you. Then things could get ugly. As soon as you roll down your window, if you just say, "Officer I don't want you to be surprised so I just want to let you know there is a gun in the car in case you'd like me to get out while you write the ticket." Then do whatever he says and there will be no problem. Common sense. Of course if you'd rather be dead right than alive you do whatever blows your skirt up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,634,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if the cop doesn't know and then FINDS out.....he may shoot you.....justifyably so .......remember.....he has a gun too....

I would far prefer to let him know....

I believe [in most states] if you have a wepon it must be A unloaded B not within your reach C seperate from the amunition. [at least that is how I carry it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
No one is saying he is justified in shooting...just that he might. Justified or not, you could still be dead. How would you feel if you pulled someone over for going 80 in 45 late a night on a lonely highway, and suddendly you see a gun near the guy's hand on the seat of his car? Anyone would be startled by that, and having a gun themselves, might be inclined to pull it out and point it at you. Then things could get ugly. As soon as you roll down your window, if you just say, "Officer I don't want you to be surprised so I just want to let you know there is a gun in the car in case you'd like me to get out while you write the ticket." Then do whatever he says and there will be no problem. Common sense. Of course if you'd rather be dead right than alive you do whatever blows your skirt up.
Read the above quoted post. He certainly is saying that a cop is justified in killing a person because that person didn't act the part of a good slave.

You ask me how I would react if I were a cop. I wouldn't Moderator cut: personal attack . It's bad enough that I'm forced to support these people. Being one of them would be intolerable.

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-02-2009 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,452,550 times
I understand both sides of the debate, but let's not lose sight of the fact that cops pull thousands of people over each day in concealed carry states that do not require you to notify the officer. They've been doing so for decades. To date, I've never heard of an epidemic of cop on motorist shootings. Not to say it doesn't happen of course, but statistically speaking, the odds are relatively slim. I can think of scenarios where I would notify the officer I was carrying, even if I wasn't compelled to so by law. I can also imagine scenarios that I wouldn't notify the officer. Where there would be very little value to do so. Exercise some common sense and both you and the officer will make it home in one piece.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you are traveling and feel the need of a gun for protection, why would you lock it in the trunk where you can't get to it, and why would you not want it to be loaded? I don't usually carry one unless camping, but if my wife drove cross country by herself I'd make her keep it loaded and right next to her on the front seat. It is not illegal to do that in the west, only in the anal states east of the Mississippi. Now if you have one in your house and there might be kids around, then by all means lock it up separately from the ammo. But keep the keys handy, and when the kids leave get the gun back out again. When my kids were old enough, about ten, I trained them on proper handling of firearms the way I was trained at that age. What are you supposed to do in a home invasion...ask the robbers to wait while you find your gun and load it? If the wimpy libs in this country would allow it, the thing that would cut down on people being shot is training like you get in the military, but starting at an early age. Getting kicked in the a** by a Marine Drill Instructor for waving the business end of a rifle around kind of stays with you forever.
I'm sure you mean well Buzz123, but you are wrong: "It is not illegal to do that in the west, only in the anal states east of the Mississippi."
It is not legal to carry loaded in a vehicle in the state of Utah without a CCW. It is also illegal in Oklahoma, Iowa, and maybe even some other states. Don't even get me started on California and it's tangled web of laws.
The best thing for an individual to do is check with each state you will be traveling through. DO NOT cruise the forums and take advice from people who may or may not know what they are talking about. Check and know the laws.
I am a non-resident Utah CFP holder and a Florida resident CWP holder. I travel the west for my work 48 weeks a year and have 3 handguns with me in the vehicle all the time. The laws change constantly. Know the laws and follow them, or you will possibly be in a world of hurt. "I didn't know" or "Some guy on an internet forum told me" is not a defense.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM

110 posts, read 235,579 times
Think logical; Because the permits are so easily obtained for virtually everyone, thats why people are dying daily. Getting everybody armed is`nt solving the problem, it increases. GETTING RID OF GUNS is the only logical solution toward saving lives.
Because we are in bad times is no excuse to get armed! Getting more involved in helping the poor and "lost" individuals in need has a more positive effect to our society and environment.
Only well trained law enforcement agencys and military should be allowed to have guns when their on duty. Other than that, theres no feasable reason why every private individual should own a gun in the first place.

It`s high time for politicians to begin evaluating our legal right to bear arms and begin implementing more responsible control toward such.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,452,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
Only well trained law enforcement agencys and military should be allowed to have guns when their on duty. Other than that, theres no feasable reason why every private individual should own a gun in the first place.
Sorry Barry, the same historical document that grants you the right to voice your opinions, no matter how baseless they may be, also grants me the right to bear arms. I fully support your decision not to own a firearm, but I'll be keeping my guns, thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:20 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,843,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Sorry Barry, the same historical document that grants you the right to voice your opinions, no matter how baseless they may be, also grants me the right to bear arms. I fully support your decision not to own a firearm, but I'll be keeping my guns, thanks.

Awesome!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,856,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
Other than that, theres no feasable reason why every private individual should own a gun in the first place.
I can think of quite a few, being that I live in a place I like to call reality (defense, varmint eradication, food gathering, as an enjoyable hobby, not to mention because I can which is reason enough). Your approach has been tried in a couple of places. Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, Communist China, etc. Worked out pretty well too, for everyone except the private individual that is. Gun control is not about logic (so asking us to think logically about the issue is sort of ironic), it is about using emotion to sway public opinion. It's not about guns, it's about control. If it was about public safety, I could think of a few other things that should be banned (under the guise of the sovereign individual does not know what's best, better to let the government babysit the citizens) for the sake of public safety.

Anyway, we have had this discussion before and I'm sure we'll have it again. I won't sway you and you won't sway me. Luckily for me I have the Constitution on my side. Next time, at the very least you could pull some stats (independently verifiable, not that Brady Bunch doctored data) to back up your position.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,087,482 times
Awesome bump, makes me want to go shoot something.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
For some value of "to bear arms". The recent USSC said quite clearly that the right is not as stated but is regulatable.

Only a matter of time until you get a court that will allow tight regulation.

I think much of the west wilol stay very permissive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas