Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,496,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Well, first of all, it's pretty much the only thing keeping the economy of Las Vegas (and by extension, Nevada) afloat for the last week in November and pretty much most of December. So, no, it may not directly effect you in the immediate sense, but it will effect the local economy, which will assuredly negatively impact you and the greater community at some point in the future.

Really?? When the rodeo announced they signed a deal with Florida, our LVCVA officials shrugged it off and made an announcement saying they can create their own rodeo event.

It looks like they never really cared after almost 30 years of having a rodeo in town but anyway talks are back again so we'll find out soon enough.

It will certainly affect the local economy during the first 2 weeks of December if and when the rodeo leaves but for sure Vegas as always, can reinvent and stage events for those 2 weeks. It's a big world out there and plenty of things go on not just rodeo. Just saying.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times
It's called negotiation. Learn to negotiate and you'll be very successful in life. Refuse to learn the art of negotiation and you'll probably be miserable most of the time. It's also called doing business. Happens in all businesses. If they go away something else will fill the slot. There are something like 40,000 trade shows, conventions, meetings, and big events every year in Las Vegas. If you were a western cowboy where would you rather go, Orlando or Las Vegas? Losing business is always a concern, but if you stay positive, and are expert in these things, you'll fill the void.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM

164 posts, read 260,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
...To have a Texas governor stick his nose into your local economy and try to pull what has become a "Las Vegas institution" of sorts over to his state?
i welcome it and encourage legislators and leaders who use more carrot and less stick. that is the american way and this is still a free country.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,816,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You know, every state does this to every other state. Whatever. It's when the jobs go overseas that we all get screwed.
Nailed it.

Bill

Old 01-16-2014, 12:24 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
With Nevada's #1 business climate, to lure new business to the state, why should we care when companies are relocating their businesses here everyday!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,270,341 times
"I don't care" is how I feel which is how I felt about Comdex- which also brought a lot of people that never spent money the way Las Vegas needs.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,148,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
"I don't care" is how I feel which is how I felt about Comdex- which also brought a lot of people that never spent money the way Las Vegas needs.
Yeah, Comdex went bye-bye and everyone thought it was going to be the end of the world. It wasn't. I could be wrong, but I think SEMA and AVN probably put more into the economy in terms of tips, bar bills, etc.

I hope NFR stays. I really do. But if it moves, the town isn't going to turn into dust.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,526,814 times
Money is money. It may not go directly into your pocket, but it pumps up the economy in general.

Comdex mutated into the Venetian (Adelson took the money he got from selling it and built the Venetian), so in some sense it's still around an contributing. But any event that brings visitor into town is a positive.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,270,341 times
NFR leaving Las Vegas is not "Catastrophic" for Las Vegas it's catastrophic for NFR. If they believe they can do better than Las Vegas considering our room rates, meals, parking, convenience, Etc. well then good luck to them.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,526,814 times
I actually agree with this. I think they'd draw much better in LV than near Orlando. In point of fact, they could probably do okay in Dallas.

I don't know that I'd use the word "catastrophic" to describe the NFR leaving. "Problematic" may be better. It's a big event at a time of the year when LV could really use a big event (in the middle of slow season.)

Quote:
NFR leaving Las Vegas is not "Catastrophic" for Las Vegas it's catastrophic for NFR. If they believe they can do better than Las Vegas considering our room rates, meals, parking, convenience, Etc. well then good luck to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: