Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times

Advertisements

I learned the secret to getting through the cold spells long ago - wear a good set of thermal underwear. For, when done, you don't even have to wear more than a light jacket. And, people wonder why you have a smug, content look while others are saying, "Jeez, it's cold out there!"

My wife prefers Cuddl Duds. They are very soft and comfortable. Seriously, get some. They come with an attitude adjustment regarding cold weather - they make a huge difference.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I loaded up my family, sold off my belongings, quit my job, and moved 2400 miles to the desert to escape crappy weather. I got here in July. It rained the day after I got here. It then rained damn near the entire month of August. Now, NOW they are calling for snow here in the valley.
Folks, I apologize. It's my fault. I brought this with me. I swear I have the world's worst luck. So bad in fact that I have altered the climate of the entire valley.

Weather in Las Vegas - AccuWeather Forecast for NV 89101
Dude, if our weather was that nice right now, I'd be out riding my bike.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I learned the secret to getting through the cold spells long ago - wear a good set of thermal underwear. For, when done, you don't even have to wear more than a light jacket. And, people wonder why you have a smug, content look while others are saying, "Jeez, it's cold out there!"

My wife prefers Cuddl Duds. They are very soft and comfortable. Seriously, get some. They come with an attitude adjustment regarding cold weather - they make a huge difference.

Bill
The only problem with that is that they keep the office really warm. It's not until you walk outside that you get hit with the arctic blast. I'll look at the cuddl duds, though. If nothing else, they'd probably be great for weekends and people that work outside for a good portion of the day. Good for hitting the Fremont Street Experience at night, too!

At least with the cold, we all get to wear our stylish coats and scarves right now. The men in the office are all wearing wool pea coats and trench coats. They look great. They're freezing their asses off, but they look great.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The only problem with that is that they keep the office really warm. It's not until you walk outside that you get hit with the arctic blast. I'll look at the cuddl duds, though. If nothing else, they'd probably be great for weekends and people that work outside for a good portion of the day. Good for hitting the Fremont Street Experience at night, too!
You nailed it, my friend. I'll usually wear only the bottoms under slacks if inside a lot. On FSE this past weekend I was dressed as I normally do - but had the bottom thermals on. It worked well until they turned on the outside heaters at the 4Queens patio where I was sitting. I ducked inside to a rest room real quick to take the thermals off. The thermals tuck neatly into my gear/wine satchel when not needed.

Bill

Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I've always found cuddle duds too warm. In Iowa winters, even. A pair of regular tights under my pants and my Columbia coat with the fleece layer worked best. When I was in Vegas last December I didn't expect it to be that cold so I didn't pack correctly

I can't imagine needing that coat now

Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I can't imagine needing that coat now
I have a sister in Phoenix. You made a good choice as it's supposed to be 57F there today. Enjoy it for the rest of us.

Bill

Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM

625 posts, read 796,736 times
High of 65 with sunshine all the way up to December and youre complaining. Sheesh

Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
We've had little dribs of snow ever since I moved here 33 years ago. It's called WEATHER.

Also, we've not had "normal" cold for many years mainly due to the massive increase in concrete and asphalt roads which retain heat and radiate it slowly into the atmosphere.

Go out into the "real" desert to see what true heat and cold is.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:03 PM

49 posts, read 79,586 times
Funny how interesting and uniting weather is. True, it is nippy out, because that string of mountains (the Spring Mountain range) gets dusted or dumped on ,all the way north to Reno! We are surrounded with mountains and when the North wind blows...oosh !! Plus we have no humidity.
We have Monsoon season every July and August. Its like a Florida summer with Floods, cuz we dont have plants and grass to keep erosion from happening and added to that , we Are in a bowl,. Expect the floods every year and stay on high ground. Be careful where you buy a house.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:44 PM

49 posts, read 79,586 times
I think if to go to the lowest point in the valley, i think its like Sunset and Boulder Hwy and drive from there up to Blule Diamond Road on up Mount Potesi (?) It just goes up and up amd up. So those flood reservoires are a good idea. Cant do much about the extended summers. I notice 100 degree temps start about the second week of MAY, thru second week in October.... ok , and i have been spotted with a parka once or twice in a winter, but Only when the pipes froze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas