Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM

700 posts, read 1,331,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Given enough alcohol, we all are. Testosterone is just more fuel for the fire and young men have that in abundance. It used to end in a fistfight back when I was an underage drinker. Nowadays, some idiot has to pull a knife, or a gun, etc.

Fremont and downtown in general have turned into a very cool scene compared to ten or fifteen years ago. They can't let the gang bangers, thugs, and aggressive panhandlers ruin it for everyone.

I'm not all that fond of being around law enforcement, but they need to make downtown inhospitable for the trouble makers. The trouble makers represent a very small portion of the people who hang out on Fremont, in my experience. Mostly it's just young and old, and everyone in between catching a buzz, dancing, listening to the bands, or just people watching. ( sometimes all of the above )
On any weekend night that is not Mardis Gras, Bourbon street has the same element of merry makers, gang bangers, prostitutes and their pimps but it doesnt seem to be as obtrusive as on Fremont street and it all seems to mix much better. The police presence is also much more visible as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,271,431 times
Last time I went down to FSE metro was telling a homeless guy he had to leave the area because he had a dog with him. He was trying to tell the cop that dog was a service animal. I'm not even sure metro can kick the guy out for having the dog but he made him leave.

I know the guy that books most of the bands down there and he complains a lot about the homeless people. They steal from the bands and generally disrupt the area.

I've taken my daughter down there to see the canopy and the big Christmas tree during the holidays and she loves it.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
There's a fairly easy way to deal with the thug / gangbanger issue. Most of this crowd is going to run afoul of the law at some point and end up either in jail or on probation. Clark County and/or the state of Nevada should make a condition of all parole or probation orders that anyone under such order cannot be in any resort corridor (in this case either the strip or the FSE and surrounding area), unless they have a job there.

If the cops see anyone shady, the can demand ID. If the person comes back on parole or probation, they get arrested for the violation, and go back in the can.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,561,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's a fairly easy way to deal with the thug / gangbanger issue. Most of this crowd is going to run afoul of the law at some point and end up either in jail or on probation. Clark County and/or the state of Nevada should make a condition of all parole or probation orders that anyone under such order cannot be in any resort corridor (in this case either the strip or the FSE and surrounding area), unless they have a job there.

If the cops see anyone shady, the can demand ID. If the person comes back on parole or probation, they get arrested for the violation, and go back in the can.

Nice idea but it wouldn't hold up in court, unfortunately, because it challenges the right to peacefully assemble and it would prevent ex-felons from potential employment at restaurants, etc.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Maybe the proposed gate around FSE is not a bad idea.

Fremont Street Shooting Suspect - YouTube

Police release video of Fremont Street shooting - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,086,950 times
That fool got KTFO

Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
The rights of parolees can and are curtailed. For instance, a parole officer can walk into a parolees home at any time and search, without a warrant. Geographic restrictions are often part of parole orders. There would be no constitutional issue keeping them out of the resort corridor.

As far as the work issue, there's not constitutional issue there. There may be a functional issues, because they do want the parolees to get jobs. But they could probably limit them to being in those areas only during daylight, and only to solicit employment, unless they actually have a job there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Nice idea but it wouldn't hold up in court, unfortunately, because it challenges the right to peacefully assemble and it would prevent ex-felons from potential employment at restaurants, etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM

34 posts, read 36,979 times
Better them than judgmental people [snip-language] I just moved here from Denver and stuff like this is the norm there. The NV senate just legalized medical marijuana dispensaries and it's just a matter of time before they legalize recreational use, all the signs are there. This is Sin City after all and it's just a matter of time before marijuana is one of the accepted sins. If you hate marijuana and the people who use it so much I'd suggest looking for somewhere else to move to, perhaps somewhere in the bible belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
@Bps401

Clark County is getting out of hand, the type of people moving in here are some of the lowest low class trash!! Today on my way to work, as I stepped out of my door, I noticed my next door neighbor was smoking weed at his patio. My new upstairs neighbor was also smoking weed with him. Bunch of losers in town.

Last edited by observer53; 04-18-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,994,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbarkus View Post
On my last visit a few months ago while playing a machine in the Four Queens, a skank with a messed up grill approached me asking for money. She had just been sprung from the Big House. I sent her away. It has been getting a bit sketchy downtown.
sorry man, I was just trying to get some beer money

Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,994,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Last time I went down to FSE metro was telling a homeless guy he had to leave the area because he had a dog with him. He was trying to tell the cop that dog was a service animal. I'm not even sure metro can kick the guy out for having the dog but he made him leave.

I know the guy that books most of the bands down there and he complains a lot about the homeless people. They steal from the bands and generally disrupt the area.

I've taken my daughter down there to see the canopy and the big Christmas tree during the holidays and she loves it.
I live downtown and what's worse than the panhandling is that the homeless use the side of my highrise as a port a potty...nothing like going for a run in the am and seeing a man defecate as you turn the corner....

we can pay for more cops, more jails, or more shelters....but we gotta do something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas