Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM

687 posts, read 4,408,201 times

Advertisements

I've bought everything from cars to trucks to motorhomes here and found that people want a lot of money for junk. I was also amazed how many people cant even be bothered to clean their vehicle up when they put it up for sale.
Carmax is a great no haggle, no BS company but like said, you will pay dealer pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I've bought everything from cars to trucks to motorhomes here and found that people want a lot of money for junk. I was also amazed how many people cant even be bothered to clean their vehicle up when they put it up for sale.
Carmax is a great no haggle, no BS company but like said, you will pay dealer pricing.
That's the way it works in this town. People want max price for everything, even at garage sales.

Also, locals want Carmax condition vehicles for Craigslist prices.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,492,094 times
Quote:
I agree!
I was in a bind...just started a new job three weeks prior. My POS broke down as I pulled into work. I went to work, called Carmax and gave all of my info including the kind of car I wanted.
After work the salesman drove an appropriate car to my work to pick me up, drove me to their lot, drove a few other cars but settled on the one he picked me up in. Remember I hadn't even been on the job a month yet...I drove away that afternoon with a 2 year old clean car with 41k on it (prior rental car as most of their cars are.) no money down, no pay stubs....first payment 30 days later. High but simple interest with no prepayment/payoff penalty, so this allows me to effectively reduce my interest rates by paying it off faster. Oh, and an extended warranty to 100k.

It worked for me ...especially in my situation.

BTW did you know that Carmax was started by former Circuit City execs.?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM

All of the dealers in this town hate Carmax. They call it the "Walmart of dealerships". It's a great business model and I would love to franchise one.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,492,094 times
Plus they bulk buy most of their cars from the big leasing companies so they don't have to play the auto auction game...they do have some odd trade in vehicles also.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and not have to deal with the dealership's shenanigans! I sold cars for a stint...I was disgusted by the dealerships shadiness. BOTH dealers!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
they also buy alot of cars from Manheim Nevada near the Speedway.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Plus they bulk buy most of their cars from the big leasing companies so they don't have to play the auto auction game...they do have some odd trade in vehicles also.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and not have to deal with the dealership's shenanigans! I sold cars for a stint...I was disgusted by the dealerships shadiness. BOTH dealers!
I've sold two cars to Carmax and recently bought one from them and they are great to work with. When we bought my wifes new Taurus a couples years back from the Ford dealer, it was a nightmare to say the least but I fought them until I had it at least partially my way!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
That's the way it works in this town. People want max price for everything, even at garage sales.

Also, locals want Carmax condition vehicles for Craigslist prices.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
You hit the nail on the head! Anymore, if I want to buy a used vehicle to tinker with, I look in Utah or California.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,148 times
I don't mind paying for a car. I paid a little above blue book value for the one I got.

The point is that it is what they say it is. If they say it is one owner with 105k miles on it , it should be just that. That is what I am paying for.

I saved money over a dealership. It's a beautiful little second car. CArmax is probably fine. I was paying cash and just wanted to deal with a private seller.

The thing I noticed with craigslist is that the good ones go pretty fast. You need to somewhat know what you want. I knew what I wanted. You can't do a whole lot of comparison shopping.

People are super flaky on craigslist. Several times I went to look at a car and when I got to the place, the person would not answer calls all of the sudden. I don't know what is up with that.

I guess it is always a risk. Always a chance I could still have gotten a lemon.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

I guess it is always a risk. Always a chance I could still have gotten a lemon.
Or robbed.

There has been a couple of times I have showed up to someone's home to buy something after great communication and all of a sudden they don't answer. Or I find out they have a Google Voice number.

I call and text about 20 times then leave. When I get home an hour later I get a text that reads "where are you?"

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas