Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM

247 posts, read 254,515 times

Advertisements

for replacing the over the range microwave that stopped working,I was microwaving some popcorn when it started sparking and since then it won't heat anything,I mean I know I don't have to replace it but just wondering is he required or can he say hell you don't HAVE to have a working microwave.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,539,618 times
hmm.. interesting. I am sure if you ask, he will say replace it. most landlords are not complete arseholes.

he will probably say buy it, install it, and send him the bill.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 AM

390 posts, read 756,334 times
Ask.... Some landlords (including myself) have a home protection insurance which pays for appliances. Either way it should be the landlords responsibility.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,976 times
A New under the counter micro is $200 at Lowes / Home Depot

JUST DO IT!

Jonathan

Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM

131 posts, read 210,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklessdaddy View Post
for replacing the over the range microwave that stopped working,I was microwaving some popcorn when it started sparking and since then it won't heat anything,I mean I know I don't have to replace it but just wondering is he required or can he say hell you don't HAVE to have a working microwave.

Thanks
Does your lease spell out what appliances the owner is responsible for? I don't know how leases work out here but the ones I draw up for our properties back east try to spell out everything to cover my butt for small situations like this. We try to get easy-going renters so it would amount to a phone call and a pleasant discussion on who's going to fix what, but you never know who is going to go at you with a fine-toothed comb and a lawyer to back them. If the microwave isn't listed in the lease, I say just call the guy and explain the situation. Maybe you can negotiate a discount off rent if you buy one yourself? Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,003,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
A New under the counter micro is $200 at Lowes / Home Depot

JUST DO IT!

Jonathan
Pay $200 to put a microwave into a house that doesn't belong to me? I don't think so.

I'd call the landlord and explain the situation. If the landlord isn't reasonable -- after all, who knows how old that appliance was, or how previous tenants beat up on the thing -- then I wouldn't do a thing with the broken unit. I'd buy an "on counter" microwave. At least I can take that with me when I leave.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM

131 posts, read 210,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Pay $200 to put a microwave into a house that doesn't belong to me? I don't think so.

I'd call the landlord and explain the situation. If the landlord isn't reasonable -- after all, who knows how old that appliance was, or how previous tenants beat up on the thing -- then I wouldn't do a thing with the broken unit. I'd buy an "on counter" microwave. At least I can take that with me when I leave.
Good point, although the house hunting experience has taught me that just because it doesn't belong to you doesn't mean you can't take it when you leave Not that I condone that or think the OP will do such a thing, just sayin' it happens. Your suggestion may be the best of both worlds, Scoop. Cheaper option, too, if it comes down to it.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,377 times
I agree with scoop buy one you can take with you. I don't know what kind of deposits you put down but you don't want to take anything that isn't yours or you won't get your money back.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

9,300 posts, read 14,919,650 times
It should say in your lease who is responsible for appliance repair or replacement. Ordsinarily, if a unit is rented including appliances, they are owned by the landlord and he is responsible to repair or replace as long as the breakage is not due to tenant negliance.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,880 times
Correct if replacement is do to fair wear and tear them owner should replace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas