Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,839,284 times

Advertisements

Ask your landlord if you can have it replaced and deduct the amount from your rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,480,013 times
I had this same thing happen to me in one of my rentals.

The tenant has been in the house for many years, has a track record of keeping the house beautiful, neat, clean, etc. Never a problem with her or any of the fixtures (house was built in 1998)

The built in microwave over the stove wouldn't work one day, for no apparent reason (Whirlpool model-came with the house). At the time, we didn't have AHS insurance on anything so we went ahead and called Sears for a repair. They came out (I paid the service call) and fixed the microwave, it was a fuse that went awry.

It was obvious from the way she kept the home while there that she didn't break it by misusing it and she had no previous track record of breaking appliances in my rental. I didn't charge the tenant a penny for the repair.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,864 times
Like MomMom said, if it was a clean, responsible tenant they'll get some extra leeway in my book. If it's a chronic whiner & troublemaker, they ain't getting the judgement call.

In this case (if it's built-in), my guess is the landlord would replace or repair it. However, if it were to cost too much to repair, it would seem reasonable for them to replace with an on-counter unit. This is exactly what I did for one of my units in Chicago - built-in (GE) microwave failed, I was told $600 (!) for repair, HELLLOOO on-counter microwave I bought for them.

Incidentally, in general I DON'T provide microwaves for my tenants. Not a built-in appliance, most people have one & they're a pain to support if anything goes wrong - they're not worth fixing. I made the mistake of letting other tenants use a spare one I had & told them flat out I didn't provide microwaves but they were welcome to borrow & use it as long as it functioned. Of course, they caught wind of the microwave fix for the built-in unit & decided they also should get a new microwave despite what I had said earlier (lease doesn't say anything about providing microwave). I offered $30 in good faith towards them picking up something from Craigslist (plenty of used microwaves there), at first they were fine with it then the OCD one of the group decided they wanted a brand new one delivered - NOPE. I tried to offer a reasonable compromise but they got greedy. So, they decided to get one of their own. Fine by me.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,437,358 times
The landlord can tell you: you overheat the microwave, you have to fix it. It worked when you move in, and it should work when you move out. Or I will deduct from your deposit.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,916 times
I would love for someone to try that with me if I was renting, especially if the lease didn't say I was responsible for appliances.. That is why you need to be sure everything is covered before signing.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM

9 posts, read 16,549 times
Yes...in a perfect world the owner should replace, but in Nevada unless specifically indicated -- the microwave is considered an "amenity" much like an apartment complex pool.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 6,842 times
There is a simple solution to all this. All renters need to get Renters Insurance. It's easy to get and plenty affordable.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,525 times
Guess I'm just a softee as a landlord. I would not even consider not replacing a built-in microwave. I would want the tenant to tell me rather than just have it replaced and deduct it from the rent. That way I could save some money.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM

39 posts, read 102,913 times
Your lease should state whether appliances that no longer work are covered by the landlord or yourself. If not hopefully the landlord will be kind and replace the appliance at his expense. Good luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,896,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsonofJon View Post
There is a simple solution to all this. All renters need to get Renters Insurance. It's easy to get and plenty affordable.
Renters insurance wont cover anything like this. The microwave is owned by the landlord. Most will order a repairman and if it is cheap, it usually says in your lease that the tenant is responsible for repairs under some amount and above its the landlord who pays. If the repair costs a lot in this case the landlord might say sorry I wont repair it, but I will get another for you or ask if you want to get your own. They are so cheap its not worth negotiating over for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas