Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM

91 posts, read 260,802 times

Advertisements

Hi all I need some advice as you all know it been in the 117s here for the past 5 days. Here is my problem I set my downstairs AC for 76 but for some reason I cannot get the inside Temperature to go below 79.
We do have high ceilings also I check the vent air and it is reading 70 coming out of the vents any help in this matter would be grateful

Sincerely Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
I really am no expert, but it is probably the excessive heat. Our other house high ceilings and I think that affects it too. Maybe your AC is not built to handle the square footage? That's also the case with my other house.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
1. check if there is any leak in your vent line.
2. As the previous poster mentioned, your AC may not be enough for your square footage plus the high ceiling.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM

421 posts, read 898,612 times
If your square footage is over 2,000, you usually need a second unit

Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 PM

no my home is 1776 we have a second unit for the bedrooms upstairs the bedroom and upstair bathroom doors are close we are talking about 1100 sq feet down stairs

Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,331 times
There are like a million things that could be the problem.

First of all, does your AC run continuously? If it is stopping before it gets to the setting, then your thermostat is probably broken.

If it is running 100% then it might be too small, or it just might not be working optimally. Here's some possibilities:

1) Ducts are leaky - get them sealed up (do not use duct tape)
2) Ducts are in the (hot) attic - wrap them with insulation
3) Compressor is low on refrigerant - get more refrigerant, check for refrigerant leaks

If it is too small, there are some things you can do to reduce the amount of heat it has to cool away:

1) If lots of sun is coming in the windows, get solar screens put on the outside of those windows
2) If lots of heat is coming through the windows (it is noticeably warmer right next to the windows) but not much direct sunlight, get thermal drapes from walmart/target/bedbath&beyond/etc
3) Check for air leaks around the doors and windows with the smoke from an incense stick, if you have leaks, seal them up with caulk or weather stripping
4) If your roof is dark colored, paint it white. 50 bucks for lime, a waterhose, a big broom and some elbow grease will be enough to get the job done and it will last through at least a few rainstorms
Experiment With White Roof Cooling Effect

There are lots more things you can do, most are more expensive.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
70 degrees out of the vents is way too warm! You should have at least a 20 degree difference between return and supply air.
Have someone come out soon and check to see if you are low on refrigerant, or if you have another problem. Low refrigerant or a bad txv valve can also cause compressor failure, expensive!!

The fact that your able to maintain 79 in the house with that warm of a supply temp, tells me that you have good air flow and the house is probably insulated quite well.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
70 degrees out of the vents is way too warm! You should have at least a 20 degree difference between return and supply air.
Have someone come out soon and check to see if you are low on refrigerant, or if you have another problem. Low refrigerant or a bad txv valve can also cause compressor failure, expensive!!

The fact that your able to maintain 79 in the house with that warm of a supply temp, tells me that you have good air flow and the house is probably insulated quite well.
Getting a technician to fix the AC in the middle of the heat?
You can expect a outrageous price !

Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM

89 posts, read 268,068 times
Last year during the hottest part of July, our air conditioner ran almost constantly and just couldn't seem to keep up with the heat. Even though the thermostat was set to 76, the temperature in the house would sometimes get to over 80. When the temperatures were under 105, the air conditioner worked fine.

Anyway, this year the old air conditioner finally broke (it was 16 years old), and we got a whole new system. Now, even at 117 degrees outside, it's 76 inside. The new air conditioner is the same size as the old one. So in our case, our old system was just wearing out I think. This is not to say that is your problem, but the difference between the old and new systems for us is substantial.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM

tiger what do you mean by You should have at least a 20 degree difference between return and supply air. how do you check the suppy air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: