Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 PM

206 posts, read 240,685 times

Advertisements

I just bought a car in Las Vegas last month. As I am a primary resident of Minnesota, I did not pay sales tax to Nevada. I took the paperwork including the Nevada title to my license office in Minnesota, paid the Minnesota fees and sales tax, then took the new plates to Las Vegas and drove the vehicle back to Minnesota. I live there more than I live in Las Vegas so that is my main residence.

I will not buy any more vehicles in Minnesota. The state uses salt and corrosive chemicals to de-ice the roads. This practice saves lives but eats metal. Within a few years a Minnesota car shows the signs of rust and in less than ten years you have holes in sheet metal. Since we don't drive as many miles as we used to, a Nevada vehicle will last us much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:59 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdd View Post
I just bought a car in Las Vegas last month. As I am a primary resident of Minnesota, I did not pay sales tax to Nevada. I took the paperwork including the Nevada title to my license office in Minnesota, paid the Minnesota fees and sales tax, then took the new plates to Las Vegas and drove the vehicle back to Minnesota. I live there more than I live in Las Vegas so that is my main residence.

I will not buy any more vehicles in Minnesota. The state uses salt and corrosive chemicals to de-ice the roads. This practice saves lives but eats metal. Within a few years a Minnesota car shows the signs of rust and in less than ten years you have holes in sheet metal. Since we don't drive as many miles as we used to, a Nevada vehicle will last us much longer.
Minnesota does not require an out of state inspection of the vehicle? (Is the vehicle staying in Nevada?)

Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM

779 posts, read 471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Minnesota does not require an out of state inspection of the vehicle? (Is the vehicle staying in Nevada?)
MN does not, surprisingly.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
MN does not, surprisingly.
That’s why you were able to do it. Most places require inspection

Old 08-27-2018, 06:37 PM

78 posts, read 311,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not true, I bought a car in California and registered it in Nevada when I lived there.
  • I bought the car in California and paid California sales tax
  • I paid a few $ to get a temporary registration (15 or 30 days, I don't remember which)
  • I drove the car to Nevada and went to DMV
  • They deducted the California tax from the Nevada tax, I had paid a few dollars more in California than I owed in Nevada, I didn't get a refund but I didn't owe them any tax
  • I paid for Nevada registration and that was all there was to it.

Hi 2sleepy,

I am planning to do something similar - buy a new car in SoCal and drive it and register it in Vegas
where I live.

Couple of questions -

1) Did you a get a one-way trip permit or a temp registration in CA ?

2) Are you sure about NV giving you credit for sales tax paid in CA ? I don't want to pay sales
tax twice which will negate any savings and more

Thanks !

Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
Hi 2sleepy,
I am planning to do something similar - buy a new car in SoCal and drive it and register it in Vegas
where I live.
Couple of questions -
1) Did you a get a one-way trip permit or a temp registration in CA ?
2) Are you sure about NV giving you credit for sales tax paid in CA ? I don't want to pay sales
tax twice which will negate any savings and more

Thanks !
They titled the car in California but did not register it in California, and they issued me a 20 day permit. They only cost a few $, I don't remember exactly but it wasn't a lot of money.

The details are in this document: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

Yes, Nevada gives you a credit for sales tax paid in California, if you paid less than what is required by Nevada you pay the difference, if you overpaid neither Nevada nor California will give you a refund for the overage. They will see the tax you paid on the bill of sale, they will not charge you again.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Not true, I bought a car in California and registered it in Nevada when I lived there.
  • I bought the car in California and paid California sales tax
  • I paid a few $ to get a temporary registration (15 or 30 days, I don't remember which)
  • I drove the car to Nevada and went to DMV
  • They deducted the California tax from the Nevada tax, I had paid a few dollars more in California than I owed in Nevada, I didn't get a refund but I didn't owe them any tax
  • I paid for Nevada registration and that was all there was to it.
the reason you were able to drive it to Nevada is that you paid the sales tax.... If you would not have done that, it would have to go on the flatbed.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhja22 View Post
yhja22:

My house is in CA,but I have 2 works , one in CA and another in NV (live about 6 months in Ca and in NV respectively). I bought a used car in NV and registered in DMV of NV.

Can I use my CA home address to have my car insurance? Please help, many thanks!!
Quote:
No. To drive a car that is registered in Nevada, the insurance must be on nevada paper. If you registered the car in Nevada and don’t have nevada insurance, you will be fined big time!

It might be possible to have Nevada registration & Nevada insurance but have the billing address for your automobile insurance be in California. I'm not sure that's what you are trying to do, however.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
the reason you were able to drive it to Nevada is that you paid the sales tax.... If you would not have done that, it would have to go on the flatbed.
That's true but what's the point? Unless you are taking the car to a state where there is no sales tax I don't see the advantage. Nevada sales tax is the same or in some cases higher than California tax, and Nevada sales tax is based on MSRP, not the price you actually paid. No dealer is going to transport your car to your home state for free, so you before you did that you'd probably want to figure out if it would be saving you any money.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:15 AM

78 posts, read 311,467 times
Yeah, it is a bummer that Nevada sales tax is based on MSRP

The main clarification point for me is the credit for the sales tax paid in CA and not getting double taxed.
Just curious - If by chance, the tax paid in CA is higher than NV sales tax, does the refund get deducted off the registration fees by the DMV or it is refunded via mail by CA/NV later ?

BTW, the dealer quoted me $113 for the one-way permit.

Quote:
That's true but what's the point? Unless you are taking the car to a state where there is no sales tax I don't see the advantage. Nevada sales tax is the same or in some cases higher than California tax, and Nevada sales tax is based on MSRP, not the price you actually paid. No dealer is going to transport your car to your home state for free, so you before you did that you'd probably want to figure out if it would be saving you any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas