Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM

159 posts, read 360,112 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is one of those "I want to buy a house in Vegas, where do I look?" threads but please go easy on me. I'm simply burnt out from research! This is a two fold question....

Three areas referred to me are Summerlin, Henderson, and Green Valley. Ideally, I'd live in one of those high rises near the strip but I couldn't afford the mortgage or HOA.

I'm young, single, female. So I won't be raising kids here and could care less about the school system. I'd like to buy a house with a private pool in a good neighborhood, not too far from the airport and the action of the strip. I grew up on the east coast so I'm used to being around overly educated people and don't really want to be stuck in a neighborhood with aimless riff-raff. Unfortunately, I can't spend more than $150,000 on a mortgage. I'd be open to a thriving condo community with a low HOA but I like to play music loud and I have a keyboard I haven't really been able to play as loud as I want living in the apartment I live in now. Basically, I like to make some noise and my worst nightmare in life is buying into a place where I can't make a peep without the cops showing up at my door

I have an offer on a short sale where I live now but the seller's agent is not particularly motivated enough to challenge/work with the bank and I think it's going to fall through. However, with that house, the location was excellent where, if I got sick of my current state, I could bail and probably rent it out to some college kids.

Thank you for your time and help. I'm also wondering about the distinct differences between Summerlin and Henderson and which areas would be less challenging to rent out in case I get major wanderlust again. Also, is one closer to the strip and airport?

If you have any suggestions outside of these areas, I'm all ears.

Last edited by intrepidnomad; 07-13-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
In general you are a bit light for a single pool home in Summerlin or the nicer parts of Henderson.

YOu might work out in Silverado...which is ultra airport and strip convenient. Other than that the more distant parts of the city...the NW or near to Summerlin will likely work.

A mildly older place will get you a little land and take care of the noise problem.

Silverado is 89123. Near Summerlin is 89128 or 89129 or 89117

Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM

159 posts, read 360,112 times
Hey, thank you OleCapt. Before I read this post I'd already started looking through the Silverado zip code.

Another question - what is the Paradise and Winchester area? Is that part of the strip? Oh, and why aren't HOAs listed on the, well, listing?! Are they that much of a nightmare?! Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,783 times
Southern Highlands might work for you. Plus, you could be my neighbor as I like to make blips and bleeps with synths as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
Hey, thank you OleCapt. Before I read this post I'd already started looking through the Silverado zip code.

Another question - what is the Paradise and Winchester area? Is that part of the strip? Oh, and why aren't HOAs listed on the, well, listing?! Are they that much of a nightmare?! Thanks.

I, too, find it incredibly annoying that HOA fees aren't listed in "listings." I understand they'd have to account for prices rising during the time of a long listing, etc. But couldn't they at least give a "minimum" or a range? In some places it's impossible to even guess what the HOA might be, or if there is more than one (which occurs in Summerlin, I do believe).

Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
I'm young, single, female. So I won't be raising kids here and could care less about the school system. I'd like to buy a house with a private pool in a good neighborhood, not too far from the airport and the action of the strip. I grew up on the east coast so I'm used to being around overly educated people and don't really want to be stuck in a neighborhood with aimless riff-raff. Unfortunately, I can't spend more than $150,000 on a mortgage. I'd be open to a thriving condo community with a low HOA but I like to play music loud and I have a keyboard I haven't really been able to play as loud as I want living in the apartment I live in now. Basically, I like to make some noise and my worst nightmare in life is buying into a place where I can't make a peep without the cops showing up at my door .
When you finally land in your nest, DM where you are. I'm also a no-kids female used to being surrounded by loud, over-educated people. And you might want to take SK up on his offer. He'd be my idea of a good neighbor.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
When you finally land in your nest, DM where you are. I'm also a no-kids female used to being surrounded by loud, over-educated people. And you might want to take SK up on his offer. He'd be my idea of a good neighbor.
Oh my goodness, thanks for making my day with that!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,076,603 times
The HOA info, including fees is in the MLS listing, but depending on the site you're looking at, they may not display that information.

I know the zip realty site does show the HOA fee info on their website.

Quote:
I, too, find it incredibly annoying that HOA fees aren't listed in "listings." I understand they'd have to account for prices rising during the time of a long listing, etc. But couldn't they at least give a "minimum" or a range? In some places it's impossible to even guess what the HOA might be, or if there is more than one (which occurs in Summerlin, I do believe).

Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times
Quote:
I, too, find it incredibly annoying that HOA fees aren't listed in "listings."
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The HOA info, including fees is in the MLS listing, but depending on the site you're looking at, they may not display that information.

I know the zip realty site does show the HOA fee info on their website.
Yep. I used Zip Realty as a research tool when I was house-hunting last year and recall that most of the listings included the HOA info. The only one's that didn't were due to the fact that the real estate agent completed the HOA field by answering "yes" instead of putting in a dollar amount. These were usually the same agents whose narrative comments on the listing contained misspelled words and/or only included one picture of the property.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yep. I used Zip Realty as a research tool when I was house-hunting last year and recall that most of the listings included the HOA info. The only one's that didn't were due to the fact that the real estate agent completed the HOA field by answering "yes" instead of putting in a dollar amount. These were usually the same agents whose narrative comments on the listing contained misspelled words and/or only included one picture of the property.
The MLS itself has six fields dealing with HOAs etc. Y/N, Master Plan Fee, Assoc 1, Assoc 2, Assessment Y/N and assessment amount.

What you see at an LDX site may be different. An Agent can feed you the standard brochure view which shows all six.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas