Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times

Advertisements

Just asking...if the OP is asking about Las Vegas compared to other cities, isn't it OK to talk about what other cities have compared to Las Vegas? How far can we go with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I think as long as you do it in terms of what Las Vegas has or doesn't have with respect to the OP's question, and contrast it briefly with other cities the OP is asking about, you're fine. Too many posts were talking more about the other cities, or suggesting even more cities and talking about them more than LV.

In this particular case, that's partly due to the fact that LV is not what the OP is looking for.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Buzz asked a question regarding on topic/off topic for this thread. It was answered. Beyond that, discussing moderation in the forums violates the TOS.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 AM

24 posts, read 49,847 times
Default Oh my!

I thought I had signed up for alerts when there were replies and it looks like I didn't! Thank you so much for all your input and feedback.

I have 2 main reasons for looking at LV. 1.)I'd like to buy a house and real estate is affordable there. 2.)I will be commuting to San Francisco for work, and would like to live within a reasonable distance to a major airport.

Thank you for all the suggestions for Burlington, VT. I'm originally from New England, so I'm well aware of the city. It's lovely, but we're looking for someplace in the Southwest that is more affordable.

The suggestion of Mt Shasta/Ashland, OR was also very welcome. We've already considered this area and Humbolt Co, CA as well. It's too far of a drive to a major airport, if I should no longer commute to SFO and need to commute to another city.

I wasn't previously familiar with Prescott, AZ - so I appreciate that recommendation. We'll definitely look into it a bit.

For the question as to why I don't just stay in Berkeley - it's expensive! I want to buy a house, and one with a backyard or even a little bit of land... that just isn't going to happen within in these parts for a decent price tag.

I know LV doesn't exactly have the same ideals that I do, on the whole - but I just figured there's a small enclave of like-minded people (of any mindset, not just mine!) in most major cities. Even SF notorious for its leftism has a decent population of right-wing people.

Lastly, I greatly appreciate the information from those living in LV who suggested some places to check out, groups of people, etc. I know it's not going to be easy... but people do tend to gravitate towards those who think and live like them, so I'm sure we'd eventually find friends and neighbors with similarities - I just want to start looking in the right areas. =D

One more thing.... a few people mentioned "in the valley" if I were home browsing online... what specific areas are considered "in the valley"? If you've got street to street sections... or spaces between specific highways.. landmarks. Anything! I've been to LV a couple of times, but I really am not familiar with it.

Many thanks for all of your assistance! =D

Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
"In the valley" refers to the Las Vegas Valley which is made up of the cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson and some unincorporated areas of the county. Our borders are the mountains, essentially.

If I was going to be hitting McCarran all the time (the airport), I'd look at Henderson. I would advise that you spend at least one summer here before plunking down cash on a house. There's a reason you folks in CA pay a premium. The weather is one of them.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:19 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
If Berkeley is your ideal, if unaffordable choice, you're not going to like Vegas. Just stay there, suck it up, and rent. Save your money. I don't think housing is going to be a great long term investment for a while anyway.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Default The Valley and Commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I would advise that you spend at least one summer here before plunking down cash on a house.
The plan is to find the area (virtually) that will best suit us, move to that area and rent for a year or so to get to know it. If it's a fit - then we buy. We're definitely not jumping in without a lot of thought and personal experience there.

Thanks for defining valley for me, too! It seems like a pretty vast area. I have definitely considered Henderson due to its proximity to the airport. Ideally, I'd like to be within 45 mins (with or without traffic) to LAS.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM

727 posts, read 1,056,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
"In the valley" refers to the Las Vegas Valley which is made up of the cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson and some unincorporated areas of the county. Our borders are the mountains, essentially.

If I was going to be hitting McCarran all the time (the airport), I'd look at Henderson. I would advise that you spend at least one summer here before plunking down cash on a house. There's a reason you folks in CA pay a premium. The weather is one of them.
That is a very good point. I have spent considerable time in the Berkeley/Oakland area. Even in the middle of the summer it is relatively cool and most homes don't have air conditioners. Very different story in Las Vegas.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:25 AM

I do understand the climates are like night and day between SF and LV. My husband loves the heat and wants to live in the desert. I will only be in LV half time, due to work, so I don't think that's going to be an issue for us.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondZen View Post
I do understand the climates are like night and day between SF and LV. My husband loves the heat and wants to live in the desert. I will only be in LV half time, due to work, so I don't think that's going to be an issue for us.

That's easy to say until you jump in the car and it's 140 degrees in there if it was sitting in a parking lot.

Do not get a vehicle with leather seats. You can trust me on this one.

Good luck with your search, and Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas