Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times

Advertisements

Well clearly the best we got is downtown. Hsieh is trying to build such a neighborhood. He is having some success. But it is just a start.

Then again if you want to be in at the start?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,192 times
We moved here from Burlington, VT a little over a year ago. Both the wife and I were born and raised there. As others have mentioned Vegas is a night and day difference from what you are looking for. There is no other place I would have rather been born and raised but, we are both very glad to be out. A huge consideration for us was the bitter cold weather in Burlington and the wet, humid, buggy summers. Combined with the crackpot politics, cost of living and. Of course, there are many many people who are happy there as well (most have established, good paying jobs and kids in the schools there which are quite good by national averages). If you are a fan of winter activities (especially skiing) it is also a great place to be.

If you like the South West and want a "Hippie" vibe also check out Prescott, AZ and I hear Tempe as well. I've been to Prescott many times and I feel it has a very similar vibe to Burlington. Park City, Utah is also nice but quite expensive.

Best of luck,

Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,503 times
Prescott, AZ is a predominately white city. If you are looking for a hippie, everyone love one another community, this is not the place.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Prescott, AZ is a predominately white city. If you are looking for a hippie, everyone love one another community, this is not the place.
Burlington is predominantly white as well.

Vermont is the 2nd whitest state and has been for a long, long time.

Hippie-Green-progressive vibe does not necessarily require great racial diversity as much as a shared common mentality among those who live in the area.

If the OP wanted diversity I would recommend Vegas in a heartbeat.

Prescott has mom and pop stores, farmers markets, a fairly small town feel, and the coffee shop art vibe the OP is looking for.

The OP never mentioned diversity in their post.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,503 times
Hippie, green vibe suggests diversity.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 PM

Burlington, VT the bastion of Hippie, Green, liberal/Progressive lifestyle is 87% white - the exact same percentage as Prescott.

Burlington, Vt., lives up to its hippie reputation - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hip, Hippie, Hippest

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Burlington, Vermont--America's Greenest., Most Organic City

It's everything the OP wants but, it is not diverse.

Burlington likes to think it embraces diversity but, it is not diverse. It is however very hippie/crunchy, very green, very organic driven and very, very liberal/progressive. It's all these things without being diverse.

My time in Prescott I always felt the same vibe. Although it is predominantly white as is Burlington I always felt that Prescott embraced the idea of diversity while not actually being diverse - largely for the same reasons as Burlington - high cost of living in relation to median income.

I have not been there in 10 years though. Perhaps times have changed.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 PM

I suppose Vegas/Clark County is actually quite green with wind farms (outside the city), Boulder Dam right outside town, Solar research, many buildings have skylights to take advantage of the daily sunlight, many modern (energy efficient) homes, many homes with Xeriscape landscaping, fantastic traffic infrastructure, the most advanced water reclamation systems in the country, recycling on the rise and Apex land fill just north of town rather than trucking all the garbage hundreds of miles out of state like many cities. We also have true diversity.

The city and it's people do practice many green practices but they don't run around celebrating it and throwing it in everyone's face.

We do lack the the arts and crunchy lifestyle though.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Had to google "crunchy lifestyle". Now I know what a "granola woman" is. I thought I was up on my hip terms and modern slang.

I guess not.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Had to google "crunchy lifestyle". Now I know what a "granola woman" is. I thought I was up on my hip terms and modern slang.

I guess not.

Posted from Nokia 8210
It ain't "pretty" but, to each their own I guess...

Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Not really. The wlole hippie movement was predominantly a white phenomenon. The main interaction the hiipies had with minorities was to buy drugs from them. And the green movement is a yuppie thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Hippie, green vibe suggests diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas