Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm looking for a lab, boxer, or dobie. Thanks for the links aggrofish and others.

I've had great luck with shelter pets in general. Back when Dewey Animal Shelter was open I adopted a large black lab there. I named him Jake. He had such extreme energy, I just could not keep up with him. I put an ad in the paper to find him a good home. He became "Officer Jake" a drug dog here with Metro. They train those drug dogs by soaking their toys in the smells of illegal drugs. They look for high "play drive" which is exactly what Jake had to offer. That dog would tear your SUV apart looking for his toy.

I re-read my post and it sounds way more judgmental than it should have. I like Chi's and Pit Bulls both. I don't like to see them in the pound in droves and my post sounded like I was saying something bad about the breeds or the people that love them. That's not how it was intended at all. I'm an animal lover and I get upset when I see so many dogs suffering.

My current dog is a deaf Aussie and she really enjoys the company of other dogs, but is not well-mannered on a leash, so the dog park is out.. The search continues. Thanks, everyone!
There was a beautiful tuxedo lab at the Pahrump shelter. I'm sure you could call and get the details before driving out.

Did you know that black dogs and cats are the least popular? I guess that's why I like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM

92 posts, read 184,712 times
When I was looking for a dog early this year, I too noticed that about 40% of the available dogs were pits or bully mixes, 40% where chihuahuas and the remaining 20% were "everything else." It's crazy and so sad. I will say that the Animal Foundation (Lied) now runs a very adopter-friendly facility. That's were we got our current dog, a maltese mix (that's what she turned out to be after all the mats and dreadlocks were shaved off her.) She was about 4 years old, picked up as a stray, and not spayed. They spay/neuter the dog before you pick them up. (It just amazes me how many people around here don't spay/neuter their pets. Ridiculous.) They have nice little fenced in fake-grass areas where you can get to know the dogs before you adopt them. You can bring your current dog to see how they get along. All of the dogs are in private kennels, and they are in a series of buildings that have big windows. So you can walk around and look at the dogs without actually going in past their kennels and getting them all worked up. Although it is NOT a no-kill shelter, it is very well run. The ASPCA shelter is no-kill, but actually much less pleasant. Lots of dogs in each kennel, you walk down the aisles and all the dogs are jumping up and getting excited. The areas for meeting dogs aren't very good.
Still, I would check out both websites and look for the type of dog you want. There are also, as mentioned, a lot of breed specific rescues around here. Rescue adoption fees tend to be higher, but the dogs are being fostered, so you have a better idea of what you're getting. Good luck finding a great pet.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMI View Post
When I was looking for a dog early this year, I too noticed that about 40% of the available dogs were pits or bully mixes, 40% where chihuahuas and the remaining 20% were "everything else." It's crazy and so sad. I will say that the Animal Foundation (Lied) now runs a very adopter-friendly facility. That's were we got our current dog, a maltese mix (that's what she turned out to be after all the mats and dreadlocks were shaved off her.) She was about 4 years old, picked up as a stray, and not spayed. They spay/neuter the dog before you pick them up. (It just amazes me how many people around here don't spay/neuter their pets. Ridiculous.) They have nice little fenced in fake-grass areas where you can get to know the dogs before you adopt them. You can bring your current dog to see how they get along. All of the dogs are in private kennels, and they are in a series of buildings that have big windows. So you can walk around and look at the dogs without actually going in past their kennels and getting them all worked up. Although it is NOT a no-kill shelter, it is very well run. The ASPCA shelter is no-kill, but actually much less pleasant. Lots of dogs in each kennel, you walk down the aisles and all the dogs are jumping up and getting excited. The areas for meeting dogs aren't very good.
Still, I would check out both websites and look for the type of dog you want. There are also, as mentioned, a lot of breed specific rescues around here. Rescue adoption fees tend to be higher, but the dogs are being fostered, so you have a better idea of what you're getting. Good luck finding a great pet.
Thanks! We saw a lab named Goldie on their website. If she gets along with my girl, she'll have a new home. It's great to know they have an area where they can meet.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM

92 posts, read 184,712 times
Post again after you adopt. I love to hear great LAS VEGAS adoption stores! And when you find a great pet at the shelter, tell everybody who asks or notices your dog--I got him/her at the shelter! So important that people know what great dogs there are here in Las Vegas looking for homes. I was shocked when I started looking here at just how many there are.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:26 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Does Vegas have more than one organization that you can adopt from? What about rescues?

Las Vegas Boxer Rescue in las vegas, Nevada adopt a pet

Have you rescued an LVLR dog in the past? No matter how LONG ago, we?d love to hear from you! Send us an update and photo by email at lasvegaslabradorrescue@gmail.com!

LVDDR

I am prejudiced, of course, as I think chihuahuas are the best dogs ever and I can never see myself ever having a dog larger than 10 pounds.

Thank you for saving a dog!

Please post when you adopt, it would be nice to hear with your experience with Las Vegas adoptions.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,875 times
I work with a few rescue groups as a foster. The rescues pull dogs from lied and put them in foster homes and then find homes for them. They do a lot of networking on facebook. One good thing about a dog being in a foster first you know a little more about it. That being said all the dogs at lied have a behavior test and if they dont pass they dont make it to adoptions. Also they spay or neuter, give vaccinations and microchip every dog before it leaves. Most of the dogs are "unaltered" because they wont put any money into them. My foster now is a shih tzu and he was rescue only (meaning not adoptable to the public) because he had a fox tail in his foot and they wouldnt give him any medical treatment. He is the cutest little guy and to think he would have been put down over that small medical issue.

If you get a boxer I am in a boxer group we meet up at dog parks and stuff like that. If you still need help I would be happy to keep an eye out for you. I see dogs needed homes all day long.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A lot of people who have dogs (of any breed, or "mutts" too) don't bother to get them spayed or neutered. A high percentage of those dogs end up in shelters. The adoption fees then include spaying or neutering, so the shelter doesn't let unaltered dogd out.

If the selection at Clark County doesn't meet your needs, go on Petfinder and see what the rescues and private shelters have available. In the meantime, your dog doesn't need a friend that much, the friendship it needs is yours, so he or she will get by without another dog.

THAT borders on one of the craziest statement made.....Dawgs are by nature pack animals....[it really hard to have a pack-o-one] during the often 10-12 hours a day that they are[by necessity] left alone they CRAVE companionshipyo make them live 1/2 of their lives alone is, to me, cruel punnishment

NOW....truly off topic.....since you post in here as a MODERATORas well as a FORUM member.....could you please make your moderators posts in RED.....sO I know if i'm allowed to disagree or not?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
[/color][/b]

THAT borders on one of the craziest statement made.....Dawgs are by nature pack animals....[it really hard to have a pack-o-one] during the often 10-12 hours a day that they are[by necessity] left alone they CRAVE companionshipyo make them live 1/2 of their lives alone is, to me, cruel punnishment
I agree 100%. Getting a second dog was the best thing that I could have done at my house. It brought my shy guy out of his shell and they love each other. My boy took great care of my girl after she was attacked by a raccoon last week.

Shelters are full of dogs who need you, and dogs need each other.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree 100%. Getting a second dog was the best thing that I could have done at my house. It brought my shy guy out of his shell and they love each other. My boy took great care of my girl after she was attacked by a raccoon last week.

Shelters are full of dogs who need you, and dogs need each other.
my two would be LOST without each other....who would they blame for the messes

Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
my two would be LOST without each other....who would they blame for the messes
Last week my 6 pound chi was attacked by a giant raccoon. We were both traumatized. I gave both dogs little bits of treats and Lupe didn't want hers so I gave it to Diablo and left the room for a minute. When I came back that bit of treat was laying next to Lupe on the pillow. The only explanation was Diablo gave it to her. He never give away food so o took this as a sign of him trying to.comfort her

But they don't need each other right?

Last edited by observer53; 08-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas